Lady Killer by Ed McBain (1958)

AE35Unit

]==[]===O °
A kid delivers a letter to the desk sergeant and scarpers. Inside the letter is a cut and paste letter, like a ransom note with the words
"I will kill the lady tonight at 8 What can you do about it?"
stuck to a sheet of paper.
So begins a 12 hour manhunt to find the victim and the killer.
Brilliant book, one of his best. The thing with these early books is I don't get the impression I'm reading something that was written in the 50s.
Timeless. McBain is so good! ...
IMG20230725082826-01_copy_768x1024.jpg

Classic stuff . He also wrote The Blackboard Jungle under his name Even Hunter.

In the 'Crime' category it's a close run thing between him and Lawrence Block. If you've never read any of his 'The Burglar Who...' series give it a try @AE35Unit . It's crime with the extra element of humour thrown in.

Travis McGee series by George D MacDonald
the fist book in the series The Deep Blue Goodbye

Rendezvous in Black
by Cornell Woolrich

Different in tone and style but worth reading.

In the 'Crime' category it's a close run thing between him and Lawrence Block. If you've never read any of his 'The Burglar Who...' series give it a try @AE35Unit . It's crime with the extra element of humour thrown in.
The daft thing is I'm not into crime per se, never have, didnt enjoy the Agatha Christie book I read (tho it is not judged as her hest by far) and I'm not really a fan of Ian Rankin's books, its just not my thing. But McBain's writing, there's just something about it.

Yes I want to read the Macdonald books, McBain himself was a reader of his. Each title features a colour.
I just noticed that referred to he George and not John D. Macdonald :eek::( But mistake aside , His Travis McGeee novels are definitely great reads . Interestingly at one time, he wrote science fiction The Wine of Dreamers which ive not read.

I just noticed that referred to he George and not John D. Macdonald :eek::( But mistake aside , His Travis McGeee novels are definitely great reads . Interestingly at one time, he wrote science fiction The Wine of Dreamers which ive not read.
Yes McBain began with science fiction