A study of terminology: Terminologyology

Harpo

Getting away with it
Firstly, I am winging it, and when all else fails it’s probably the second best thing you can do (after whatever your favourite Distraction is)

Ok, so let’s see all the various terminology threads of old

There ya go, whatever your special requirements are, they’ve been discussed before, go and dive in.

What else? How about some of this?

37AEACF3-F281-437B-A9CC-111CFDFE9FE1.jpg

The thread "Doctor Terminology" caught my eye. I think there is series potential there. Here's the pitch: a Doctor, who is also a PhD. in "Terminology" (A specialization offered by Trump U.) becomes a Dexter-like avenging angel, killing bad guys in his hospital in various creative ways, then starts a secret course teaching select residents how to do the same ("Terminology" Get it? Get it?). The Doctor, obviously, gives long complicated speeches before killing (Terminology, Get it? Get it?) Most of the episodes involve a newly recruited resident turning on him, and trying to turn him in for the reward and being Terminated themselves. In some episodes he falls in love with the resident but the resident tries to turn him in for ethical reasons and he sorrowfully has to terminate them. I'm sure we can get a season out of this before the Network Exec comes out of his cocaine coma and fires us all.

The thread "Doctor Terminology" caught my eye. I think there is series potential there. Here's the pitch: a Doctor, who is also a PhD. in "Terminology" (A specialization offered by Trump U.) becomes a Dexter-like avenging angel, killing bad guys in his hospital in various creative ways, then starts a secret course teaching select residents how to do the same ("Terminology" Get it? Get it?). The Doctor, obviously, gives long complicated speeches before killing (Terminology, Get it? Get it?) Most of the episodes involve a newly recruited resident turning on him, and trying to turn him in for the reward and being Terminated themselves. In some episodes he falls in love with the resident but the resident tries to turn him in for ethical reasons and he sorrowfully has to terminate them. I'm sure we can get a season out of this before the Network Exec comes out of his cocaine coma and fires us all.
I'm so ready for this series. :LOL:

Would someone who studies the study of terminology be a terminologyologyologist?

Reminded me of that BT Ology advert from the 1980's:

But more seriously, every profession or workplace has it's weird terminology, nicknames for things and acronyms. Health and Teaching are possibly the worst, but they are certainly not alone. They will tell you that it is to make things more precise, but I think it is to exclude anyone who isn't "one of them". Obviously, if you are writing anything set in such a workplace, then it is vital that you use the correct lingo otherwise the story will not be accepted.

Reminded me of that BT Ology advert from the 1980's:

But more seriously, every profession or workplace has it's weird terminology, nicknames for things and acronyms. Health and Teaching are possibly the worst, but they are certainly not alone. They will tell you that it is to make things more precise, but I think it is to exclude anyone who isn't "one of them". Obviously, if you are writing anything set in such a workplace, then it is vital that you use the correct lingo otherwise the story will not be accepted.
Ah, then you will need a Lingo Dingo, and Bingo!

Back