Science Fiction titles you would have liked to have seen in the SF Masterworks collection

As I understand it, that is most definitely a factor. The books they have published in the SF Masterworks and Fantasy Masterworks series are undoubtedly books that they wanted to publish, but they couldn't get the rights to everything they might have wanted. The books they have reprinted might not all be the exact ones they would have chosen if they were entirely free to choose. It's not just about money but about who legally controls the rights. (For instance, HarperCollins and the Tolkien estate are unlikely to ever hand over the rights to The Lord of the Rings to anyone else.)
I agree, what I’m saying is , is there a sci-finbook or books you would have liked in that collection? If so we are putting them in The Unofficial Guide to SF Masterworks. After we complete this we can move on to The Unofficial Guide to Fantasy Masterworks. Sound like fun? Well, it does to me. So , if you think of any great science fiction book or books that you would of like included in the original SF Masterworks but was not, well you still have a chance to get your book/books in The Unofficial Guide to SF Masterworks.

So nobody has any interest in this? Ok. Consider this thread closed in two week, I just want to see if anyway has a book or books to suggest in the meantime. But please give it two weeks, thank you moderators.

If anyone doesn’t understand what I am trying to do just ask me please , I enjoy it. You can message me personally and ask me questions there if you wish.

The Unofficial Guide to SF Masterworks

I have another book to put in this Guide, which is an awesome Heinlein book, but I will only show it if people are interested in this project, of sorts.

Basically what books you would of liked seen in the ‘SF Masterworks’ but were not, due to various factors they couldn’t include all the great science fiction of the past, so we want to include your favorites. Is not one person interested? Like I said if you don’t understand this thread just ask me and I will tell you what’s up.

I apologize for this misidentification of the work. I've always considered it science fiction because it is so full of science and fiction. Quantum physics is even in the title of Shrodinger's Cat (it is a quantum physics experiment). His books are always called science fiction on amazon or google searches.
Fair enough...you think we should put his books in with the rest of the books that are in The Unofficial Guide to SF Masterworks? I think they would fit in nicely , if what you are say about them being sience fiction authors is correct? After all in his fiction he wrote of humor, of conspiracy,well... of well all kinds of things really...can he really be pigeonholed into science fiction, well if he can then we will take him in.

Last edited:
The Unofficial Guide to SF Masterworks

1) Space War Blues by Richard A. Lupoff
2) The Destruction of the Temple by Barry N. Malzberg
3) The Veils of by Fred Saberhagen
4) Darwinia
by Robert Charles Wilson
5)
Paris in the 20th Century by Jules Verne
6) Morlock Night
by K W Jeter

Last edited:
It’s an interesting question, but I have a different perspective - and not to be difficult but simply to offer a viewpoint for discussion - if I’m already aware of a great SF title that isn’t in the list, I couldn’t really be bothered if it was included or not, as I’m already aware of it. If anything I’d probably rather it didn’t join the list. So, I think there will not be any books I wish were included but are not presently.

Back