Thoughts on Logan's Run.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Based on the 1967 novel of same name William F Nolan and George Clayton Johnson . In the 23rd century , the last known humans , descendants of the survivors of a global thermal Nuclear war live in a self contained city of Domes, The people live under the city's master control computer which runs the city and regulates ans control all aspect of citizen lives from both to death . The people under it care/control an enjoy life of ease and pleasure and happiness , there's just one catch, life ends at age 30, no doubt this devised as a means population control. When citizens are born , a glowing time crystal is embedded into the palm of tea hands . It starts our yellow in first decade off life , then in second decade, the crystal goes blue and your third decade goes to red and stay that color until time your 30the year and then, it starts flash red and black. We this happens , you have two choices . You can go on Carousel with a chance of renewal you life and living ( of which none have renewed ) or you can try and escape from the city by becoming a runner to get to a place of safety known as Sanctuary. but if you do that, the Policemen in the city. called Sandmen armed with a special gun for terminating runners , will find you and end you. It's relatively easy to find Runners because the city and the Sandman can track them via scanners , The Computer over the years has had Runners seemingly escaped and to date , 1054 runners are unaccounted for which the computer find unacceptable . It decides to use one Sandmen Logan 5 to make contact with the group that helps runner escape by causing his time crustal to blink to make them think he's a Runner. The computer's goal to eliminate Sanctuary .and this discrepancy that it cannot tolerate . He meets with a contact with optical for obvious reasons woman he tried to date named Jessica 6. Untimely he manages manages to convince that her that he want to run. and this just the beginning of tboth heir adventure.

Thoughts? :)

Last edited:
Plankton!
Sea greens!
And protein from the sea!

Box Cyborg played by the late great Roscoe Lee Brown . He was literally and figuratively quite chilling in that role ! And Logan and Jessica certainly found the answer to w hat happened to those unaccounted runner or as turned out, most of them.

Haven't read the book. And It's been a long time since I saw the movie. While the setup for society seemed about the same in the movie as in the film, the plot of the movie differed from the book as far as I remember it.

I didn't quite understand sanctuary in the movie. From what I could tell, the idea was that there was no sanctuary, just a robot waiting to kill you. So the escape outside was a true revelation to both them and the old man they eventually encounter.

Is this the AI that we can all look forward to?

Haven't read the book. And It's been a long time since I saw the movie. While the setup for society seemed about the same in the movie as in the film, the plot of the movie differed from the book as far as I remember it.

I didn't quite understand sanctuary in the movie. From what I could tell, the idea was that there was no sanctuary, just a robot waiting to kill you. So the escape outside was a true revelation to both them and the old man they eventually encounter.

Is this the AI that we can all look forward to?

I was surprised at how much the book and the movie differed.

I have seen the movie many times. Might be time to acquire the book! :)

It's a good read but it's a bit dated . Nolan did two forgettable sequels ot it Logan's World and Logan's Search . Im not Sure but I think I saw mentioned unpublished 4th Logan book .

I watched one or two episodes of the series again

kind of lame-o.

They should have had Box robots in it

I watched one or two episodes of the series again

kind of lame-o.

They should have had Box robots in it

Overalll I thought it a decent series and had it been in a better time slot it might have lasted a bit longer Then it did . Harlan Ellison wrote one episode for the series The Crypt . It was quite good

I was not crazy about the actor played Logan Gregory Harrison , I think some like Simon MacCorkindale would have been better fit for that role. I had no problem with Heather MenzIes as Jessica 6. and l iked Rem played boy Donald Moffat and Randy Powell as Francis Logan's former friend turned nemesis .

In there series they made on interesting changes instead of a computer there wa a council of Elders ruling the Domed city and they offered
Francis a seat on the council if he apprehended Logan ns Jessica . Als , the series did utilize the hand embedded Time crystals .

Last edited:
I loved the movie of Logan's run and it remained a favourite of mine throught my youth. Probably my first example of distopia, i really enjoyed the duality of the tone on it. I thought it looked great and was very well cast. (i mean, who didn't have a little crush on Jessica?)

I only saw it when i was a child, but i remember enjoying the TV series too, although i'm not sure whether the TV series holds up to viewing as an adult.

I've not read the book, though. I think this would be a great candidate for a reboot.

Last edited:
Box is simultaneously an absurdly comedic character, and one of the scariest villains I have ever seen.

Box is simultaneously an absurdly comedic character, and one of the scariest villains I have ever seen.

Sculpting ice animals and freezing and storing humans. Yeah, that puts him on the list of cinemas scariest and most deranged villains,

Last edited:
I always loved the movie. I ended up reading William F Nolan's trilogy. The 2nd and 3rd books were okay but Logan's Run is a great book and worth a read. The movie does a good job for a 70's film but it definitely tones down some of the nastier, darker elements.

I always loved the movie. I ended up reading William F Nolan's trilogy. The 2nd and 3rd books were okay but Logan's Run is a great book and worth a read. The movie does a good job for a 70's film but it definitely tones down some of the nastier, darker elements.

Logan's Run the novel was a very dark, nasty and dystopian. It was a good read. I was less than impressed by the sequels.

The film also had a comic book adaptation as well.

The Marvel comic continued it right after the end of the movie but I think they went beyond their licensing rights or something.

Not read the book, though it sounds like I ought to. The film was great, the tv series watchable, and it's somewhat of a surprise that no-one has brought it back. It's themes are just as relevant now as they were back then.

Not read the book, though it sounds like I ought to. The film was great, the tv series watchable, and it's somewhat of a surprise that no-one has brought it back. It's themes are just as relevant now as they were back then.

In terms themes and ideas it was very much a science fiction book of the 1960's The film updated and significantly a changed a number things and left out certain story elements completely. I won't spoil it, but you will find the differences between book and movie to be quite interesting. :)

There has been talk about rebooting it. :)

Last edited:
Yeah I would say in terms of prescient dystopias, the world of Logan's Run seems pretty low on the scale so far. Maybe the idea of a youth dictatorship felt plausible in the 60's and 70's but things nowadays seem as gerontocratic as they ever were.