Who knows the movie: AI turned humans into balloons to make them happy?

Baldanders

Hi, all!

One of my relatives told me many times about a science fiction movie (about 1970-80s), but I wasn't able to find anything like this.

The plot is about this:
A spaceship returns on the home planet, but it appears that the planet was captured by an AI. The AI, knowing that it's much more powerful than humans, decided to solve their main problem: make everyone happy. To achieve this, it simplified humans down to balloons, who doesn't have much of brains and emotions. They are just, you know, rolling here and there without any purpose or problems, and they are happy.

It should be mentioned that I read "I have no mouth, and I must scream" - some similar ideas can be noticed there. I would say that my relative is just mistaken, but they are saying it's definitely not "I have no mouth". Anyone heard about something like that?

An advanced search on IMDB for sci-fi feature films between 1970 and 1990 with a 'balloons' in the plot only turns up 3 results, none of which match the query :(
Here are the results

Here's the advanced search page for further tweaking the query

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Hi, all!

One of my relatives told me many times about a science fiction movie (about 1970-80s), but I wasn't able to find anything like this.

The plot is about this:
A spaceship returns on the home planet, but it appears that the planet was captured by an AI. The AI, knowing that it's much more powerful than humans, decided to solve their main problem: make everyone happy. To achieve this, it simplified humans down to balloons, who doesn't have much of brains and emotions. They are just, you know, rolling here and there without any purpose or problems, and they are happy.

It should be mentioned that I read "I have no mouth, and I must scream" - some similar ideas can be noticed there. I would say that my relative is just mistaken, but they are saying it's definitely not "I have no mouth". Anyone heard about something like that?

Did you know the is a computer game based in Ellison's story I have no mouth but I must scream ?

An advanced search on IMDB for sci-fi feature films between 1970 and 1990 with a 'balloons' in the plot only turns up 3 results, none of which match the query :(
Here are the results

Here's the advanced search page for further tweaking the query

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
Yeah, I also tried different searching. Even ChatGPT wasn't able to answer, it gave me "The Machine Stops" of Forster.
Also, someone told me that it may be USSR movie "Moscow: Cassiopeia", but looking at the plot, I don't see anything like this :cautious:

to balloons, who doesn't have much of brains and emotions. They are just, you know, rolling here and there without any purpose or problems, and they are happy.
These sound a lot like the balloons people who live in the Pointless Forrest in Harry Nilsson's The Point --they are afraid of pointed objects because they believe that being without a point is what makes them float. (animation narrated by Ringo Starr)

Last edited:
These sound a lot like the balloons people who live in the Pointless Forrest in Harry Nilsson's The Point --they are afraid of pointed objects because they believe that being without a point is what makes them float. (animation narrated by Ringo Starr)
Hm-m, that sounds like something, need to watch it full. Thanks!

Back