DISCUSSION THREAD -- 300 Word Writing Challenge #49 (April 2023)

If you've not yet entered, hurry up and get that story written!
I've had a few ideas over the course of the month, but so far nothing that's grabbed me, sat me down and screamed "Write me!"

Ah well. See if I have a new spark of inspiration or if I just hammer something out in the last few days.

Mine is in a quiet place, recuperating from a previous edit and now readying itself for the final stress-test.

Ah well. See if I have a new spark of inspiration or if I just hammer something out in the last few days.
It's always possible. I did that for the previous 300-worder, just hammering something out. It wasn't a winner, but I discovered a style I liked and am sure to come back to in the future.

Although the pictures chosen are all very good choices, I do like it when we get a choice of images. Somehow voting for an image gives me more of an investment in coming up with a story, as well as giving us more time to come up with ideas (and especially with the last vote we had) some vibrant discussion (I'll never look at Homer Simpson in the same way again!), which in itself can help me come up with ideas for my story.

Although the pictures chosen are all very good choices, I do like it when we get a choice of images. Somehow voting for an image gives me more of an investment in coming up with a story, as well as giving us more time to come up with ideas (and especially with the last vote we had) some vibrant discussion (I'll never look at Homer Simpson in the same way again!), which in itself can help me come up with ideas for my story.
Whilst that is true, having to work with an image you are not excited about pushes the imagination farther, (or further, depending on your pedantry level), to get something out of it.
I'll admit, though, that I did stall in the steep slope of the recent 'outdoor laundry' photo and didn't enter.

Whilst that is true, having to work with an image you are not excited about pushes the imagination farther, (or further, depending on your pedantry level), to get something out of it.
I'll admit, though, that I did stall in the steep slope of the recent 'outdoor laundry' photo and didn't enter.

Yes I see what you mean.

If ever there was going to be a month with a low story count, I would have said the laundry one would be most likely. I'd hazard a guess that if it had been in a poll it probably wouldn't have won. There ended up with plenty of neat interpretations of it though.

Well, after days with only the dimmest glimmer of an idea, one bubbled up early this morning. A quick 20 minutes later I had written a story. Put it in the hopper and went to a nearby city for a Dr.'s appointment. Came back, scrubbed it up a bit and entered. Even more unlikely, I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
@Phyrebrat .... Stone Snitch .... A story which reminds us why snitches always face a terrible fate.

@Astro Pen ..... Silent justice .... A story of hatred and what some would might call an undemonized reckoning.

@Appello .... Post Tenebras Lux .... A story of commitment and resolve and the end they came to.

@johnnyjet .... From a Door to a Window … and Beyond .... A story of an unexpected summons and its unexpected result.

Christine Wheelwright opens the door to forbidden needs.

M. Robert Gibson opens the door to the power of imagination.

Jo Zebedee opens the door to recovery of the lost.

emrosenagel opens the door to courage for the sake of another.

Luiglin opens the door to the psychology of evil.

Phyrebrat opens the door to sins found out.

Astro Pen opens to door to political intrigue.

Appello opens the door to the glimmer of hope.

johnnyjet opens the door to the thrill of discovery.

Parson opens the door to the necessity of escape.

@Peter V .... An Old Curiosity Shop .... A story of love lost and a love that remains.

@Dan Jones .... The Travels Of Sir Reginald Rigmarole, Part 94! .... A story filled with the madcap adventures of Sir Reginald which refuse to end well.

@mosaix .... Office Politics .... A story of Machiavellian A.I. with coercion of the foulest kind.

@Starbeast .... Alice's Cacti Coffee Bar Trip .... A story that is absolutely the wildest trip ever.

Last edited:
I did that for the previous 300-worder, just hammering something out. It wasn't a winner, but I discovered a style I liked and am sure to come back to in the future.
See, I have learned through experience that evidently I don't know how to write a winner, so I try not to concern myself with that.

See, I have learned through experience that evidently I don't know how to write a winner, so I try not to concern myself with that.
That's the spirit! I try to convince myself of that too. Not everyone has it in him to easily write stories that are either funny or tugging your heart, things that seem required to get enough votes to win. That doesn't mean you can't write or your stories aren't great.
I have learned to just write my own (unusual) stuff, that's who I am. Just follow your heart (or Muse) when writing a story and your chances of (unexpectedly) hitting on a winner are greater than when you aim for it by going against your natural style of writing.

That's the spirit! I try to convince myself of that too. Not everyone has it in him to easily write stories that are either funny or tugging your heart, things that seem required to get enough votes to win. That doesn't mean you can't write or your stories aren't great.
I have learned to just write my own (unusual) stuff, that's who I am. Just follow your heart (or Muse) when writing a story and your chances of (unexpectedly) hitting on a winner are greater than when you aim for it by going against your natural style of writing.
Very true! Just write and let your imagination have the helm and push yourself. Just have fun and get it out. Like you say, you never know where it will lead you...:)
I use these challenges to test and push my thinking and writing skills. Great stuff!

Despite having had the idea and jotted down the opening paragraphs a week ago, it's still taken me all day to get the story written, with the last couple of hours being spent adding words in one place, then having to prune words off somewhere else, only then to remove them again, realise I've got words spare, go mad and add too many, then have to prune others off... all repeated ad nauseam. But it's done at last and posted, though doubtless in something over an hour, when the editing window is closed, I'll come up with the perfect word or line which is currently missing.

Anyhow, we've a respectable-looking number of entries now, so well done everyone who's posted in the last few days. But we can always do with more stories, so if you're hesitating, there's still a few hours left to get a masterpiece written!