DISCUSSION THREAD -- APRIL 2023 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
Hello again! I'm no longer the March Hare, because it's April. But I'm not yet the Easter Bunny. One could say I exist in a state of liminality, which by astonishing coincidence is the theme chosen by March's winner Phyrebrat, with a genre of "anything goes".

Please post your entries -- possibly, but not necessarily, about furry folklore creatures caught in a threshold condition -- here.

Hands up who had to go look it up
handsup2.png

An April Fool would have had the genre of Tudorpunk. And then I would have "forgotten" to change it.

Is that what really happened?

Edit: I’ve just searched for Tudorpunk to find out when it was that you did that to us @HareBrain. Turns out out it was November 2012. But what stands out is the number of posts still referring, over ten years later, to the scar that you left on our brains.

Last edited:
I always remember that challenge with fondness — we were in the Winter Palace which is a gorgeous hotel on the Corniche in Luxor (Egypt) that month. I was writing my entry by the pool being vile about people with my sister :D

Re the April Fool prank — no such luck. The absence of genre comes from recent voicenote chats with @The Big Peat about the subjectivity of genre terms and application. The theme comes from, well, my kinda-sorta obsession with the liminal.

Liminality is generally a ‘threshold’. For example there’s an insanely strange liminality around nine PM in the dusky twilight of Avebury stone circle just before proper nightfall ; that in-between strangelight. On Reddit there’s a sub called liminality with pictures of liminal spaces (these tend to be empty offices after closing hours with very little artificial lighting which isn’t exactly liminal. And also liminality isn’t restricted to space/place.) there’s a great set of liminal videos on YouTube called the Backrooms…

Liminality is nebulous and ethereal in its application and it’s the underpinning to most of my own fiction and definitely the literature I love. The title of my website landing page is ‘Welcome to the liminal’.

Hope that helps some way :)

Yes, very interesting choices. I had a moment of panic, where I wasn't sure I'd be able to fulfill the theme, then I just reacted and my entry is all reflexes.
I think I remember that one year Luiglin wrote all his 75 worders in the world of the Dark Lord, and I am thinking of trying to write a whole year of stories in my imagined world of robots and androids. I hope no one gets sick of my robots. Anyway, good luck, all, with your stories, CC

ps - not sure if I actually hit the theme, but I'm hoping...

Last edited:
I always remember that challenge with fondness — we were in the Winter Palace which is a gorgeous hotel on the Corniche in Luxor (Egypt) that month. I was writing my entry by the pool being vile about people with my sister :D

Re the April Fool prank — no such luck. The absence of genre comes from recent voicenote chats with @The Big Peat about the subjectivity of genre terms and application. The theme comes from, well, my kinda-sorta obsession with the liminal.

Liminality is generally a ‘threshold’. For example there’s an insanely strange liminality around nine PM in the dusky twilight of Avebury stone circle just before proper nightfall ; that in-between strangelight. On Reddit there’s a sub called liminality with pictures of liminal spaces (these tend to be empty offices after closing hours with very little artificial lighting which isn’t exactly liminal. And also liminality isn’t restricted to space/place.) there’s a great set of liminal videos on YouTube called the Backrooms…

Liminality is nebulous and ethereal in its application and it’s the underpinning to most of my own fiction and definitely the literature I love. The title of my website landing page is ‘Welcome to the liminal’.

Hope that helps some way :)

So it's the subliminal version of 'are we nearly there yet'?

Is that what really happened?

Edit: I’ve just searched for Tudorpunk to find out when it was that you did that to us @HareBrain. Turns out out it was November 2012. But what stands out is the number of posts still referring, over ten years later, to the scar that you left on our brains.

I actually really enjoyed that one, although it does help liking that period of history. I think that the genre of 'Rudyard Kipling' was probably the most memorable/controversial. Tbh from a personal point of view, I think I wrote the entry I'm most proud of that month, even though it didn't go on to win.

I think I remember that one year Luiglin wrote all his 75 worders in the world of the Dark Lord, and I am thinking of trying to write a whole year of stories in my imagined world of robots and androids. I hope no one gets sick of my robots. Anyway, good luck, all, with your stories, CC
That I did, more for my own twisted benefit to see if I could. As I remember, one genre choice was Historical Fiction. I still maintain that the Dark Lord killed off the dinosaurs and not some daft idea about a meteor.

Go for it @Cat's Cradle :)

Last edited:
I actually really enjoyed that one, although it does help liking that period of history. I think that the genre of 'Rudyard Kipling' was probably the most memorable/controversial. Tbh from a personal point of view, I think I wrote the entry I'm most proud of that month, even though it didn't go on to win.
Interestingly, @paranoid marvin, in the results of the search alongside practically every mention of Tudorpunk was a mention of Chris's 'Rudyard Kipling'.

Wow, two very creative - and very different - entries already this month, and we're only a few hours in. The bar has been set, and it's pretty darn high.

Back