They got what they deserved.

CrazyKB

I just finished reading A Deepness in the Sky. I quite enjoyed the Sci-Fi elements it contained. However, it had two characters (who shall remain nameless as not to spoil the story) I loathed. The only other character that made me feel such disdain in recent memory, was King Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

I've read A Fire Upon the Deep but not that one.

Do you think you were meant to dislike them?

I just finished reading A Deepness in the Sky. I quite enjoyed the Sci-Fi elements it contained. However, it had two characters (who shall remain nameless as not to spoil the story) I loathed. The only other character that made me feel such disdain in recent memory, was King Joffrey from Game of Thrones.
Sounds like great writing. Not every author can provoke such a reaction from a reader -- and keep the reader engaged!

I've read A Fire Upon the Deep but not that one.

Do you think you were meant to dislike them?
The Characters I alluded to were unlikable in every way. Encompassing all that is wrong with humanity.

I think it takes a good author to make a fictional character unlikable. If often not what they do, but how they do it that makes them so. In the Harry Potter series of books, Dolores Umbridge was a far more potent threat to 'good' than all the Deatheaters put together.

Thomas Covenant was another character who was made to be offensive to the reader right from the offset; this time however he was the central character around which the books were based.

I think I know who one of them is - not read it in a few years, but just thinking about him makes my skin crawl. Brilliant book. One think I particularly like is the way the sections about the Spiders are carefully written to make their day-to-day lives seem very normal and wholesome!

I think I know who one of them is - not read it in a few years, but just thinking about him makes my skin crawl. Brilliant book. One think I particularly like is the way the sections about the Spiders are carefully written to make their day-to-day lives seem very normal and wholesome!
I liked the way the Spiders were first introduced. I thought I was reading about humans in the past (Earth), slowly becoming apparent that it was the Spiders. If I had one criticism it would be the anthropomorphic nature of the Spiders (their behavior). However, I understand why authors do this, making them human like allows the reader to identify with alien characters.

Back