Where should I start?

Start with The Pawn of Destiny the first book in the Belgariad series.

I started with The Elinium and really enjoyed them.
A word of warning I enjoyed his 4 series, there was a sameness in all the books but still a nice easy read. By the time I got round to his final series The Dreamers I was ready for screaming, he just recycled his previous works.

Start with The Pawn of Destiny the first book in the Belgariad series.

I started with The Elinium and really enjoyed them.
A word of warning I enjoyed his 4 series, there was a sameness in all the books but still a nice easy read. By the time I got round to his final series The Dreamers I was ready for screaming, he just recycled his previous works.

After the Belgariad , which is very good, , the quality of his work declines precipitously.

Would recommend that after you read this this series , The Rift War Series by Raymond E. Feist . This series is lots of fun to read .:cool:

Last edited:
First Belgariad book is Pawn of Prophecy, not Pawn of Destiny.

I personally preferred the Elenium tho, and depending on what you prefer in terms of protagonists and series length it might be a better shout. Elenium - which starts with The Diamond Throne - has an older, more experienced protagonist; more politics (although it's still very quest focused), and is shorter.

Yep:oops: Pawn of Prophecy, thanks @The Big Peat. In my defence years since I read them and my brain doesn't work these days. Like you I preferred The Sparhawk books, never worked out if it was because I read them first.

Yeah, I read that series first too so maybe I prefer them for that reason... but then, how many Belgariad readers prefer that because they read that first?