What Are Your Thoughts On Disney Doing Live Action Remakes of Its Animated Films ?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
They done a live action remake of Beauty and The Beast, Mulan, The Lion King , Aladdin and The Little Mermaid . What do you think?

Plus The Jungle Book.

I thought TJB was OK. The only other one I've seen bits of both animation and live-action was Aladdin, and I thought the live-action came off a very poor second. I really don't see the point of these, and I'm somewhat miffed at the implication that they see animation as a second-best way of film-making that can be superseded when CGI gets good enough.

I haven't seen the animated Mulan but the live action film was good enough.
The live action Aladdin was too much a Will Smith movie for me and actors playing Aladdin and Jasmin were utterly forgettable, but they did at least keep the best songs [even if it wasn't Robin Williams singing].
Maybe with the cgi, they think they can market the remake at the tweens and early teens while the animated are more aimed at slightly younger children.
A teenager might have seen Beauty and the Beast because Emma Watson was in it, off the back of the HP films...
Not that Disney are at all cynical and manipulative when it comes to their products. It is always about the money.

Plus The Jungle Book.

I thought TJB was OK. The only other one I've seen bits of both animation and live-action was Aladdin, and I thought the live-action came off a very poor second. I really don't see the point of these, and I'm somewhat miffed at the implication that they see animation as a second-best way of film-making that can be superseded when CGI gets good enough.

I forgot that one.:unsure::(

didn't Disney do a Pinocchio last year? I think Tom Hanks was in it.
Oh! And Dumbo [minus the crows]?

IMO, Disney ought to make new creative movies instead of rehashing old themes and such.

Having just seen the trailer for the live action The Little Mermaid [I wonder what all the fuss was about], I am now looking forward the the live action remakes of Finding Nemo and Finding Dory.
[ No not really ]

Having just seen the trailer for the live action The Little Mermaid [I wonder what all the fuss was about], I am now looking forward the the live action remakes of Finding Nemo and Finding Dory.
[ No not really ]

Somehow , I don't think like action remakes of Finding Nemo and Finding Dory would workable.

I've been a bit concerned in general in Disney's general direction over recent years. Not to discuss politics, (I've got in trouble for that already :oops: ), but there is an agenda being pushed.

I think Disney has taken it's audience pretty much for granted and i think this really shows in their treatment of Star Wars and the recent Marvel phase. I've not yet seen any of the live action movies but i have yet to hear anything good about them.

I've been a bit concerned in general in Disney's general direction over recent years. Not to discuss politics, (I've got in trouble for that already :oops: ), but there is an agenda being pushed.

I think Disney has taken it's audience pretty much for granted and i think this really shows in their treatment of Star Wars and the recent Marvel phase. I've not yet seen any of the live action movies but i have yet to hear anything good about them.

Disney is doing a live action remake of The Aristocats :oops:

Have any of these live action remakes been successful? Everything i hear points to them being not very good.

Have any of these live action remakes been successful? Everything i hear points to them being not very good.
Successful and good are very different things. They wouldn't make them if they weren't making money. Maybe they are thinking long term as future content for Disney+.
That said The Lion King remake pulled in $1.6bn at the box office, B&tB $1.2bn and Aladdin did over $1bn as well.

Last edited:
Thanks CupofJoe. So these live action remakes are making money. Maybe it’s just us lot who are unhappy with them as it looks like they’re generating new audiences.

I would highly reccomend this video essay breaking down the differences between The Lion King remake and the original. I didn't watch the remake but found this video fantastic.

Thanks CupofJoe. So these live action remakes are making money. Maybe it’s just us lot who are unhappy with them as it looks like they’re generating new audiences.

They're a cash cow for Disney.

Disney has butchered everything they've touched recently. It would be nice if Hollywood discussed the themes that are found in much of Disney's content in films made for adults (remember those?). If I'm going to see an action movie, spending money on transportation, tickets, (overpriced) snacks, etc., I want to be 'entertained' not lectured to.

Disney has butchered everything they've touched recently. It would be nice if Hollywood discussed the themes that are found in much of Disney's content in films made for adults (remember those?). If I'm going to see an action movie, spending money on transportation, tickets, (overpriced) snacks, etc., I want to be 'entertained' not lectured to.

Well said. :cool:

Other than that they must be utterly lacking in imagination, not much.

Back