<Ctrl><Shift>V for Paste Unformatted

Wayne Mack

I'm not sure of the proper home for this.

Something that I just learned is that there is a short cut to copy and paste something without formatting. It isn't necessary to use the right click paste menu and select unformatted. After copying simply paste with <Ctrl><Shift>V (for Windows. There is something similar, but different for Macs).

Mac Uses the <command> key. <command> C copies highlighted text. <command> V pastes.

<command> P opens Printer dialog. <command> S re Saves file under current file name.

<command> Z is "undo." <command> X copies and deletes highlighted text.

<command> E ejects highlighted removable "drive", memory stick or whatever.

There are probably a few more which I don't use often enough to remember.

You should have all of these with window's <ctrl> <shift> ...

Last edited:
I discovered this CTRL/SHIFT/V shortcut only last week.
It allows you to copy a list from an excel document into a textbox or thread post for instance without the annoying cell creation that you get otherwise.
Also copying a list from a Chrons poll to a simple list in a text, word or excel document without the selection buttons that get copied in with a straight forward CTRL V.

I discovered this CTRL/SHIFT/V shortcut only last week.
It allows you to copy a list from an excel document into a textbox or thread post for instance without the annoying cell creation that you get otherwise.
Also copying a list from a Chrons poll to a simple list in a text, word or excel document without the selection buttons that get copied in with a straight forward CTRL V.
If only I’d known this when I was still working. :(

Or on Windows there's right click and Paste as plain text.

It is worth noting, that the only true way to guarantee that you get the text and nothing but the text is to copy paste into Notepad and then copy paste out. That's a lesson I've learned from a long time coding.

Or on Windows there's right click and Paste as plain text.

It is worth noting, that the only true way to guarantee that you get the text and nothing but the text is to copy paste into Notepad and then copy paste out. That's a lesson I've learned from a long time coding.
Yeah, I've done a lot of copy-paste through Notepad in my lifetime as well.

Back