(Found)The Last RETIEF Story - Help to Find

MikeinMesa48

I need help to find a story I read about five years or so ago, if not longer. It was written by the late, great Keith Laumer. If memory serves me right it was the first Retief story he wrote, and the last he sold or published. The gist of the story is an old man rides into a town on a horse-like creature. He stops and asks a young man where the tournament was going to be held. The young man gives the old man information and then makes fun of him saying he is too old to participate let alone win. The grand prize is to be crowned king. A day or two passes and it is the old man’s turn to meet his opponent in the arena’s final match. The old man did not have to compete to enter the tournament as he is of royal blood. His opponent is the young man who gave him information about the tournament. They fight. The old man wins. He makes the young man Captain of the King’s Guards due to his courage.

It is a great story and a great end to the Retief series. Wonderful description and atmosphere. Basically a homecoming story. I do not recall if the name Retief is even mentioned. Maybe in the introductory blurb. Anyhow, I would really appreciate it is someone can tell me the title and where I might find a copy. Thanks in advance. Mike in Mesa, Az

I need help to find a story I read about five years or so ago, if not longer. It was written by the late, great Keith Laumer. If memory serves me right it was the first Retief story he wrote, and the last he sold or published. The gist of the story is an old man rides into a town on a horse-like creature. He stops and asks a young man where the tournament was going to be held. The young man gives the old man information and then makes fun of him saying he is too old to participate let alone win. The grand prize is to be crowned king. A day or two passes and it is the old man’s turn to meet his opponent in the arena’s final match. The old man did not have to compete to enter the tournament as he is of royal blood. His opponent is the young man who gave him information about the tournament. They fight. The old man wins. He makes the young man Captain of the King’s Guards due to his courage.

It is a great story and a great end to the Retief series. Wonderful description and atmosphere. Basically a homecoming story. I do not recall if the name Retief is even mentioned. Maybe in the introductory blurb. Anyhow, I would really appreciate it is someone can tell me the title and where I might find a copy. Thanks in advance. Mike in Mesa, Az
There's a list of Retief Stories here, if you scroll down, and clicking on the story title gives you the publication history.

I think that's the story Diplomat in Arms.
It's the first story in Retief!, a Baen publication edited by Eric Flint. Also published in Retief: Emissary to the Stars.

It is definitely a Retief story. Excuse me, Emperor Retief.

I loved this stories. It surprises me that Retief has never been adapted to either the big or small screen.

I loved this stories. It surprises me that Retief has never been adapted to either the big or small screen.
Who would you have play him? Unfortunately Sean Connery is gone. Another fine character along this line was Poul Anderson's Sir Dominic FLANDRY. Hey, all you folks who replied, THANKS. I really appreciate your help, and am grateful. I will now scoot over to Baen's site and see if I can get a copy. Mike in Mesa

Who would you have play him? Unfortunately Sean Connery is gone. Another fine character along this line was Poul Anderson's Sir Dominic FLANDRY. Hey, all you folks who replied, THANKS. I really appreciate your help, and am grateful. I will now scoot over to Baen's site and see if I can get a copy. Mike in Mesa

Folks on this thread, Using what you told me I downloaded this story and reread it last night. I must have read it longer ago than I said in my first post. I really botched the summary, but the name RETIEF was a big hint, wasn't it? In a way it was good I had forgotten as much as I did, for I really enjoyed discovering it all over again. My thanks again to all who helped me. Mike in Mesa

Back