DISCUSSION THREAD -- MARCH 2023 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Exactly why I never read other people's entries before I post mine....
I take that as read for my all entries. I tend to post early and not read in case mine is similar to another entry.

Fine entries this month, well done all!
I voted yesterday, and here are my lists, today:

Shortlist:
therapist, emrosenagel, Hugh, C.Robin, Parson, Peter V, chrispenycate

Finalists:
Victoria Silverwolf's The Best of All Possible Worlds, a story with a wonderful surprise ending that made me chuckle from first reading to last. I think no one in our Challenges better writes a story that feels exactly right at 75 words - that doesn't need one word more, or one less. Wonderful.

Phyrebrat's The Death of Ageing, a beautifully written entry that illustrates immortality as a condition perhaps not as desirable as it might seem to those unencumbered by its blessings. Another story with a terrific ending, and a really thoughtful piece.

Because it made me smile, I went with Victoria's entry, though both stories are very fine.

I want to thank johnnyjet, Christine Wheelwright, Parson, Peter V and farntfar for the listings, and also those who had kind words about my entry.

Huge thank yous to therapist and sule for the lovely votes.

Looks to be close right to the end of voting, good luck all, CC

The Muse showed up too late, then ate my bucket of chicken and skipped away down the street. :rolleyes:

Never-the-best... I mean never-the-mess,,, (cough cough) Never-the-less, I've been quite busy. Hopefully I'll join in the fun next month. :cool:

Yes. I did vote after reading all of the stories twice. Excellent job to everyone. :)

The muse came nowhere near me this month, so congrats to all who managed to grab hold of her pinny and wring a story out of her.

My shortlist:

BigJ -- A Reason to Live
Bren G -- Love Unrequited
Cat's Cradle -- Emergency Procedure
emrosenagel -- The old astronaut, the Cosmos, and the moon-eyed child
JS Wiig -- For Now, Goodbye
Peter V -- Parole Violation
Phyrebrat -- The Death of Ageing
Shyrka -- Extra Life
Victoria Silverwolf -- The Best of All Possible Worlds

My vote was decided as soon as I read BigJ's tale of an encounter with not-quite-the-next-life as I loved the dialogue and the suicide's realisation he wasn't alone, with Bren G and Peter V coming in equal second place with their rather less happy realisations.

Aargh! Can I have two votes? Please??
@emrosenagel and @Phyrebrat writing of chances from different ends of the spectrum, almost.

My vote went to Phyrebrat for imagery, as I had to make a choice before losing my vote, but I'm still pretty much convinced that a coin toss between these two entries would land on the coin edge.