Where did I read this about slapping?

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
I got a niggle from my memory about things a man has to do.
Somewhere in my reading life (I think within the last 5 years but it could have been an older book) there was a sentence (I'm not even sure of the exact wording) about getting slapped.

"If another man ever slaps your face or spits in it, that'll hurt you way more than a fist, you'll need to take steps to kill him or you'll hurt forever"

Does this ring a bell with anybody?

Definitely rings a bell...
For some bizarre reason I'm thinking Huckleberry Finn, but that's probably misguided.

Last edited:
Somewhere in my reading life (I think within the last 5 years but it could have been an older book) there was a sentence (I'm not even sure of the exact wording) about getting slapped.

"If another man ever slaps your face or spits in it, that'll hurt you way more than a fist, you'll need to take steps to kill him or you'll hurt forever"

Im wondering about the Ed McDonald one where the raven comes out of his arm

It rings a bell. I wonder if it is from a Graham Greene novel, but I cant recall for sure.

Sounds kind'a Schmaltzy like a dime store detective novel.
Or maybe a line from Princess Bride.

Wipe it off with a handkerchief and then say, 'Here, you might want to save that for someone who doesn't have a gun pointed at you.'

Reminds me of a line from a movie--maybe Bogart, where he says to someone complaining about being slapped around, "you'll get slapped, and like it!"

In Key Largo, Bogart gives a drink to an alcoholic after Edward G Robinson refuses.
She takes the drink and says "thanks mister"
then Robinson slaps him and Bogart turns to the woman and says wearily, "you're welcome."

Last edited:
Isn't that a paraphrase of the opening line to Edgar Allen Poe's The Cask of Amontillado

"The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could; but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge."

ChatGPT says:

This quote is attributed to Bruce Lee, the legendary martial artist and actor, in his book "Tao of Jeet Kune Do". However, it is worth noting that there is some debate about the exact wording of this quote and whether it was actually written by Bruce Lee himself or added later by his students or followers.

Im not sure but, It sounds a bit like a Make Hammer quote.:unsure::(

Back