Help with theater terminology

Cthulhu.Science

Once upon a time, a person could go to the box office at a ballet, symphony, play, opera and other such venues right before the curtain went up (usually 1 hour) and purchase tickets (the unsold seats) at a greatly reduced price. Some of those tickets were very good seats because it included season ticket holder seats that were not being used that night.

There is a term for it, but I cannot remember it to save my life.

Not Will Call. That is when you buy tickets in advance and pick them up at the theater.

I've even done it. In fact the only operas I've seen I purchased tickets that way.

Thanks

Maybe that's it. I'm trying to remember terminology from ancient times.

Standby tickets just doesn't jump out at me...

Tbh it didn't to me either, I found it having a scout round google and trying a few different phrases.

I would have called them 'same-day tickets'.

Festival FAQs | Tribeca

Tribeca Film Festival
https://tribecafilm.com › festival › faq

Rush tickets are offered when a screening or event is sold out. The Rush system functions as a standby line that will form at the venue approximately one ...

SIX on Broadway

Metropolitan Opera Rush Tickets​

• Rush tickets go on sale for Monday through Friday evening performances at noon, for matinees four hours before curtain, and for Saturday evenings at 2:00 pm.
  • Please be sure to log in before trying to purchase rush tickets. These tickets are only available online and are sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
Footlight Musicals
When we experience a sold-out performance, we cannot promise anyone that a seat will become available. However, we do maintain a standby list in case there are last minute cancellations. The Box Office opens one hour prior to show time and patrons will be placed on standby on a first-come, first-served basis. You must be present in the lobby to be placed on standby.

Walnut Street Theater - Philadelphia

Standby Tickets​

$35 Standby Seats

When performances are sold out, we sell a limited number of $35 Standby Seats for select Mainstage performances.

Right before curtain, we seat standby ticket holders in available empty seats.

Well, I'm trying to remember a term from the 90s.
For a long time that was the only way I could afford a live performance.

I went to a bunch of theaters too, and I think the language has simply changed over time...

I have been going to theaters from a lot earlier than the 90's and those have always been the terms I've known.
I am in the US however, terms may differ in other countries.
Are you perhaps looking for some period slang term?