Searching for old Sci Fi novel.

Back in the early 70's, (when I was very young), I got about half way through an even older novel, and I've wanted to finish it ever since. All I can remember is the basic plot. It was from, I believe, the early 60's.
The story line was about a post apocalyptic world, and took place far enough into it that technology no longer existed, and the people had reverted to tribal living. The good guy was a still living Korean war Marine vet, (that had no idea why he didn't die), who was hunting down a pair of scientists (husband and wife) from his time. The way the scientists stayed "alive" was that they had developed a machine that could transfer their consciousness (consciousness's ?) into other people. I remember that the natives, for lack of a better understanding, called them vampires. The scientists would, periodically, choose the healthiest and best looking young guy and girl to trade bodies with. The natives would do this willingly, wether out of fear, or a godlike respect I can't remember. But the young couple in the older bodies would be treated like royalty and taken care of for the rest of their lives.
That's all I can remember. I appreciate any help anyone can give me as to the name of this book (series?).

Back