Favorite Science Fiction Series

CultureCitizen

What are your favorite science fiction series ?

Mine:
1) The expanse
2) Dark
3) Love Death & Robots
4) Black Mirror
5) Stranger things
6) Battlestar Galactica (2004 TV series
7) The man in the high castle
8) Utopia
9) Solos

I've, oddly, seen very few of the ones mentioned by @CultureCitizen. (I am, slowly, working my way through Dark at the moment, though)

Being old, I have a big soft spot for anything Stargate, so any of the three series of that ilk.

Red Dwarf
Hitchhikers Guide

Just those two would keep me happy for years.

The great thing about HHGTTG is that you've got the tv, radio, book, computer game and movie - none of which are entirely the same story. The tv series is virtually perfect, and whilst I never got on with the movie, at least it tried something different.

For me Red Dwarf stopped being great after Series 5 - 'Better Than Life' being a perfect send off for the show. It isn't terrible after this, but it does start to lose it's greatness imho as it starts to lose ideas and begins parodying itself (always a sign of weakness in a long running show).

The great thing about HHGTTG is that you've got the tv, radio, book, computer game and movie - none of which are entirely the same story. The tv series is virtually perfect, and whilst I never got on with the movie, at least it tried something different.
And the stage play, and the LPs.

I'm with @Venusian Broon and enjoy the Stargate franchise.

I also really enjoyed The Expanse.

Anne McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern (book series) is another favorite. A lot of people think it is fantasy, but it is actually science fiction.

Babylon 5 is by far my favourite science fiction experience. I've rebought the box set and hope to do a rewatch some time this year.

Farscape. I don't think that there has ever been a series quite like this one. Brilliant story with some of the best characters to grace the small screen. I did hear somewhen that there was going to be another series. I really hope that this is true.

Battlestar Galactica. The old series for nostalgia, but Ronald D. Moore's reboot was just sublime.

Firefly. I got into this late and wondered what all the fuss was about. I watched it in one sitting and i knew what all the fuss was about. Possibly the best first series of anything, ever. I thought Serenity was a bit lacklustre, though.

New Who. I bing watched this at the start of lockdown. Very good with some great stories. A lot of great companions, too. I stopped halfway through Peter Capaldi's Doctor and need to return to it.

Red Dwarf. Hilarious with some great science fiction stories.

I'd probably add Killjoys in as a personal favourite as i really enjoyed what i saw of it and should go back and finish it. Great fun with some very likeable characters.

In no order

1. BSG 1978
2. Buck Rogers Season One
3. Babylon 5
4. Star Trek (TOS)
5. Twilight Zone
6. Severance
7. Andor
8. Red Dwarf
9. HHGTG
10. 1899
11. Blake's 7
12. Old Who
13. The Invaders
14. Sapphire & Steel
15. X-Files
16. Farscape
17. Alien Nation
18. V
19. Future Man
20. Devs
21. The Expanse
22. Counterpart
23. Captain Scarlet
24. The Tripods
25. The Outer Limits
26. Sliders
27. Project UFO
28. Dark
29. Max Headroom
30. Kolchak: The Night Stalker
31. Dollhouse
32. Space Battleship Yamato
33. Space Dandy
34. The Wild Wild West

In no order

1. BSG 1978
2. Buck Rogers Season One
3. Babylon 5
4. Star Trek (TOS)
5. Twilight Zone
6. Severance
7. Andor
8. Red Dwarf
9. HHGTG
10. 1899
11. Blake's 7
12. Old Who
13. The Invaders
14. Sapphire & Steel
15. X-Files
16. Farscape
17. Alien Nation
18. V
19. Future Man
20. Devs
21. The Expanse
22. Counterpart
23. Captain Scarlet
24. The Tripods
25. The Outer Limits
26. Sliders
27. Project UFO
28. Dark
29. Max Headroom
30. Kolchak: The Night Stalker
31. Dollhouse
32. Space Battleship Yamato
33. Space Dandy
34. The Wild Wild West
I liked the first season of V. And I am still searching for a way to look at the complete Space Battleship Yamato series.

I have a very high threshold for television SF series. To be first rate the special effects cannot look cheesy or obviously fake. Therefore Babylon 5 is only just passable. A lot of the scenes in the scenes just screamed "Sound Stage!" to me. In some ways this means that animated stories get an advantage because I don't expect realistic scenes in animation. Third, I do not easily accept send-ups.

So if we are onto SF on the screen. Things I like a lot are

The Expanse
The Mandalorian
Deep Space 9

Black Mirror
Love, Death & Robots
Firefly
Star Trek (TOS)
Sliders
Cowboy Bebop (both anime and live-action)
The Big O (anime)
Roswell
Stargate SG-1
Sapphire and Steel
The Outer Limits (TOS)
Future Man
The Orville

I have a very high threshold for television SF series. To be first rate the special effects cannot look cheesy or obviously fake. Therefore Babylon 5 is only just passable. A lot of the scenes in the scenes just screamed "Sound Stage!" to me. In some ways this means that animated stories get an advantage because I don't expect realistic scenes in animation. Third, I do not easily accept send-ups.

So if we are onto SF on the screen. Things I like a lot are

The Expanse
The Mandalorian
Deep Space 9
You will probably like some of the shorts from Love Death Robots
Sonnie's Edge
Three Robots
The Witness
Beyond the Aquila Rift
Ice Age
Pop Squad

@CultureCitizen I don't remember ever hearing of Love, Death and Robots until this mention. I don't have Netflix but what I've read has intrigued me.

Back