So, what is the self publishing experience been like for those that have gone that route?

There is another option, which is hybrid publishers. Sometimes, for a strong proposal, they'll take a punt. Sometimes, they'll get you to pay upfront. I agree with Jo and Toby, the publishing arena is dire at the moment. Mind you, that's allowed me to not give a s**t -- my new novel (professionally edited and with a fab cover) will be sold in one small bookshop in Shropshire. I plan other don't-give-a-damn publications.

To clarify, vanity publishing and self-publishing are technically different - but in both instances it is paying to be published, the distinction simply being whether you pay someone else or foot all the costs yourself. As opposed to trad publishing where you are paid to be published.

The trouble is, a lot of people are easily fooled into thinking that self-publishing has no costs if they do it all themselves, but that their book will equal the success of any traditionally published novel. The value of self-publishing has been really badly over-sold.

Yes, it is a legitimate publishing strategy, but it's not the easy money some people have claimed in the past.

Just to add my two pence … and for the benefit of people who are trying to suck up info on writing.

Probably like most of the writers on this forum, I am following a dream/mission/calling (with a sidebar hope that I may get lucky).

I’ve written 4 full-length novels. In each case, I’ve subbed them out to Trad Agents, and I’ve never been picked up.

So, I’ve self-published … using professional editors and professional designers to make the books the best that I can reasonably manage … Over the 10 years I’ve been writing (1 book every 2 or 3 years), I’ve probably earned a Net Profit (after the costs of all the editors etc.) of a bottle of wine a month (I drink cheap stuff ) … I have not accounted/charged for my time.

I think that anyone who loves telling stories should embrace self-pub as a way of supporting that passion ... the trad route is a closed door to all but the lucky 0.1%

So … I agree with Brian that “it is not easy money” (and there is so much crap out there of people selling snake oil)
… I agree with Stephen that “it helps if you don’t give a s**t about sales” (I’m not emotionally there yet)

I have no words of wisdom with regard to self-publicity (but from a purely mechanical standpoint I’ll start a separate thread on direct email advertising in a few days)