1960s novelette - kangaroo like aliens

TomMazanec

Aliens looking like kangaroos arrive in contemporary or near future Earth. About all I can remember is that they blink repeatedly when they lie.
But at the end one makes a big reveal without blinking. Was it the truth or can they lie without blinking?

Novelette not novel.
The aliens saw kangaroos at a zoo and wondered if they were degenerated descendants of a lost colony.

Possibly "Kangaroo Court" by Virginia Kidd

Reviewed here, briefly, and here at greater length:
  • kangaroo-like aliens
  • visiting earth
  • novelette
  • 1960s
Unfortunately there are no mentions of lying, blinking, or zoo tourism in the reviews.

I've got a copy of it, our actual earth kangaroos turn out to be descendants of a lost colony from the alien planet.

They are appalled when they see some savage roos in an animal rescue facility. (Zoo?)

Nothing about the blinking I'm afraid, these ones release strange smells to convey emotions - the story waffles on about how kangaroos don't fart

Don't remember the strange smells. Admittedly I may have scrunched together two separate stories? When was the story published, Danny? Author? Title? Or is it tachyon's book?

Don't remember the strange smells. Admittedly I may have scrunched together two separate stories? When was the story published, Danny? Author? Title? Or is it tachyon's book?
Yeah sorry, I should have specified....the book tachyon suggested