Interesting Writing Challenge.

mosaix

Shropshire, U.K.
Supporter
My daughter belongs to a bi-weekly writing group that meets on a Saturday in the local pub.

At each meeting they set up a challenge for the next fortnight.

Today they been given the challenge of writing a 500 word story, then rewriting the same story at 400, then 300, then 200 and finally 100.

I might give it a try.

My daughter belongs to a bi-weekly writing group that meets on a Saturday in the local pub.

At each meeting they set up a challenge for the next fortnight.

Today they been given the challenge of writing a 500 word story, then rewriting the same story at 400, then 300, then 200 and finally 100.

I might give it a try.
Nice one, are you going to post it here? I'm up for giving it a go -would ya pick a theme or just leave it open?

Hadn’t thought of anyone else having a go @AnRoinnUltra but feel free. I’m for leaving it open but Chrons being what it is suggest SF or fantasy. Maybe post all five at the same time so that they can be compared?

No time limit. Just as we have time.

Just had s thought. My daughter’s challenge was from 500 down to 100. But the other direction could work just as well.

Would be interesting to see how a story ‘develops’.

Hadn’t thought of anyone else having a go @AnRoinnUltra but feel free. I’m for leaving it open but Chrons being what it is suggest SF or fantasy. Maybe post all five at the same time so that they can be compared?

No time limit. Just as we have time.
Perfect, gonna try do it next week sometime ...be good to see how folk work the editing process -great idea

Just had s thought. My daughter’s challenge was from 500 down to 100. But the other direction could work just as well.

Would be interesting to see how a story ‘develops’.
I don't know, it would -but I generally just write a whole pile and cut it so it would be counterintuitive. One story edited, and one ...inflated? Different stories each time?

So, I have been thinking about writing a story off the top of my head but I'm going to rewrite one of my not so good 100 worders starting at 500 and working down to see if it comes out better than the original 100.
I've been losing sleep and concentration over this @mosaix, Thanks! Really, this is a good one. :)

Here is mine. (It's from a former 100 worder and is still OK and lacking. But done.)
I must say that this is a thought-provoking exercise, and possibly one of the most beneficial I have encountered here in Chronicles.
Thanks @mosaix for suggesting this!

The Improved Eve

500 Word

Dayna walked around the large sunroom enjoying the various potted plants and flowers that she gathered from the nearby meadow. Memories of the birds and insects that inhabited it filled her mind with warm thoughts of living nature and soft fragrances, and an appreciation of the cycle of life and of the yearly seasonal changes.

Her father’s Butler entered the room with serving tray in hand. “A light lunch for you, Miss Dayna,” the Butler said putting the tray down on the table in the middle of the room. “Curtesy of your father.”

“Father? Has he finally returned?” She questioned taking a seat at the table.

“Pre-dawn, Miss,” he uncovered the tray. “Fresh vegetable salad from this morning’s harvest.”

“Where are these from, we don’t have a vegetable garden?” She was excited at the sight before her.

“Next to the stone arch, Miss.”

Perplexed, Dayna looked at the meal before her as the Butler left the sunroom. She began to enjoy the lunch, and that’s when she noticed something was wrong. All the leafy vegetables looked and tasted the same. As for the tomatoes, they had little aroma and no taste at all. The flavors of the soil, of life, were missing from the plate before her.

Repulsed, she pushed the plate away as she stood and exited the sunroom door out into the sprawling English garden before her. She hurried down the pathways through the early spring air until she came upon the arch. And there before her was the vegetable garden with her father and several clockworks carts moving amongst it.

“Dayna, I’m so glad to see you! Please come and look at what I’ve gone,” he gestured her over to the garden.

Dayna approached in disbelief, “Father, what is this? When was all of this grown, none of this was here a few weeks ago? And what of those mechanical carts?” She watched as one cart injected a row of goo into the ground and a minute later, plants slowly began to sprout forth.

Her father handed her a head of leaf lettuce, “My dear, I learned so much while I was recovering from the surgery. And thanks to our groundskeeper, I was able to do all of this in just two weeks. Fantastic isn’t?” His excitement was foreshadowed by what Dayna noticed; all the lettuce leaves were identical to the ones in the salad.

“Farther, all of this is fake. It’s not even alive! There are no birds or insects, and the soil is sterile!”

Her father paused, motionless. His head ratcheted towards her as steam whistled from his ears. “Dayna, I improved our lives, for you,” he insisted.

Dayna froze, unable to move as she realized her fate. “Father, what have you done?” She then fainted.

When she awoke, she saw her father’s true form, an incased brain on top of a clockwork skeleton. She tried to scream, but he took care of that as well.

He approached her saying, “Now your new life begins.”

400 Word

Dayna walked around the large sunroom enjoying the various potted plants and flowers that she gathered from the nearby meadow.

Her father’s Butler entered the room with serving tray in hand. “A light lunch for you, Miss Dayna,” the Butler said putting the tray down on the table in the middle of the room. “Curtesy of your father.”

“Father? Has he finally returned?” She questioned taking a seat at the table.

“Pre-dawn, Miss,” he uncovered the tray. “Fresh vegetable salad from this morning’s harvest.”

“Where are these from, we don’t have a vegetable garden?” She was excited at the sight before her.

“Next to the stone arch, Miss.”

Perplexed, Dayna looked at the meal before her as she began to enjoy it, and then she noticed was something wrong. All the vegetables looked and tasted the same; bland.

Repulsed, she pushed the plate away; exited the sunroom door out into the sprawling English garden before her. She hurried down the pathways until she came upon the arch. And there before her was the vegetable garden with her father and several clockworks carts moving amongst it.

“Dayna, I’m so glad to see you! Please come and look at what I’ve gone,” he gestured her over to the garden.

Dayna approached in disbelief, “Father, what is this? None of this was here a few weeks ago. And what of those mechanical carts?” She watched as one cart injected a row of goo into the ground and soon, plants slowly began to sprout forth.

He handed her a head of leaf lettuce, “My dear, I learned much while I was recovering from the surgery. And I was able to do all of this in just two weeks. Fantastic isn’t?” His excitement was foreshadowed by what Dayna noticed; all the vegetables were identical to the ones in the salad.

“Farther, all of this is fake. It’s not even alive! There are no birds or insects either!”

Her father paused, motionless. His head ratcheted towards her as steam whistled from his ears. “Dayna, I improved our lives, for you,” he insisted.

Dayna froze, unable to move as she realized her fate. “Father, what have you done?” She then fainted.

When she awoke, she saw her father’s true form, an incased brain on top of a clockwork skeleton. She tried to scream, but he took care of that.

He said approaching, “Now your new life begins.”

300 Word

Dayna walked around the sunroom enjoying the various plants and flowers that she gathered from the nearby meadow.

The Butler entered the room with a serving tray in hand. “A lunch for you, Miss Dayna,” he placed the tray on the table in the middle of the room. “Vegetable salad from this morning’s harvest.”

She took a seat, “Where are these from, we don’t have a vegetable garden?”

“The garden next to the stone arch, Miss.”

Perplexed, Dayna began to enjoy the lunch, and then she noticed something wrong. All the vegetables looked and tasted the same; bland.

Repulsed, she went out into the gardens then hurried down the pathways to the arch. And there was the vegetable garden with her father and several clockworks carts moving amongst it.

“Dayna, I’m so glad to see you! Please come and look at what I’ve gone,” he gestured to her.

Dayna approached in disbelief, “Father, what is this? And what of those mechanical carts?” She watched as one injected a row of goo into the ground and soon, plants began to grow.

“My dear, I learned much while I was recovering, and I was able to do all of this in just two weeks. Fantastic isn’t?” His excitement was foreshadowed by what Dayna noticed; all the vegetables were copies of the ones in the salad.

“Farther, all of this is fake. It’s not even alive!”

He paused; his head ratcheted around as steam whistled from his ears. “Dayna, I improved our lives, for you,” he insisted.

Dayna froze, unable to move. “Father, what have you done?” She fainted.

She awoke and saw her father’s true form, a brain atop a clockwork skeleton. She tried to scream but couldn’t.

He approached her, “Now your new life begins.”

200 Word

Dayna walked around the sunroom enjoying the plants and flowers she gathered from the nearby meadow.

The Butler entered the room. “A lunch for you, Miss,” he placed the tray on the table. “Vegetable salad from this morning.”

She took a seat, “Where is this from; we don’t have a vegetable garden?”

“The garden by the stone arch.”

Dayna was enjoying lunch when she noticed something was wrong. All the vegetables were bland. Repulsed, she exited the sunroom and hurried down the garden pathways to the arch, where her father and several clockworks carts labored.

“Dayna, I’m so glad to see you! Look at what I’ve gone,” he gestured to her.

Dayna approached, “Father, what is this?” A cart injected goo into the ground and soon, plants began to grow.

“I was able to do all of this in just two weeks. Fantastic isn’t?”

Dayna’s became dismayed; the vegetables were copies of each other.

“Farther, all of this is fake. It’s not alive!”

His head ratcheted as steam whistled from his ears. “Dayna, I did this for you.”

“Father?” She fainted.

She awoke to her father’s true form, a clockwork skeleton. She screamed but couldn’t.

“Now your life begins.”

100 Word

Dayna was enjoying lunch when she noticed something wrong. Repulsed, she hurried down the garden pathways to her father.

“Dayna, I’m so glad to see you! Look at what I’ve gone.”

“Father, what is this?” A cart injected goo into the ground and soon, plants began to grow.

“I was able to do all of this in just two weeks. Fantastic isn’t?”

“Farther, all of this is fake. It’s not real!”

His head ratcheted, “Dayna, I did this for you.”

“Father?”

She awoke to see her father’s clockwork skeleton but couldn’t scream.

“Now your life begins.”

Done that before but started at 1000, halved to 500, again to 250 and finally 125.

"Murder your darlings."

The phrase was first used by Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch, a British writer, in his 1914 lecture "On Style". "Whenever you feel an impulse to perpetrate a piece of exceptionally fine writing, obey it—whole-heartedly—and delete it before sending your manuscripts to press. Murder your darlings."

OK everyone! Here is my last one. This time I started at 100 words then went up to 500. The 100 word is in it's original form and title.

Sakura 100

In their world:

The demon soul smashed into the tree, both falling over. The Hunter in the sky above felt calm seeing the morning sunrise. Calling on his swords name Soyokaze no Sakura, he flew down while dodging the demons attack and with a single strike of the sword, sent it back to Jigoku.

In our world:

A sudden gust of wind blew the tree over, uprooting it from the ground and sending the people fleeing. Shortly after, the autumn morning was filled with the sight and fragrance from thousands of fresh cherry blossoms floating in the breeze.

Sakura 200

In their world:

The demon soul smashed into the tree, both falling over as it was torn from the ground. The Soul Hunter in the sky above felt calm as the light of the morning sunrise shone upon him, reflecting a bronze glow from his black Kendo Gi. Then looking down at the demon sprawled upon the ground below him, he called on his swords name ‘Soyokaze no Sakura’ as he flew down towards his foe while dodging the demons repeated spell attacks as it stood upright and with a single strike of the sword, split the demon in half sending it screaming back to Jigoku.

In our world:

A sudden gust of wind blew as the large old tree fell over, uprooting it from the ground and sending the nearby people fleeing for safety. Shortly after as they came to their senses, the autumn morning was filled with the sight and fragrance from thousands of fresh cherry blossoms floating in the breeze from around the fallen tree. Each of the blossoms glistened in the light of the early morning sun as a distant cry was heard echoing across the valley, filling the hearts of the villagers with uncertain fear.

Sakura 300

In their world:

“These souls are mine Hunter! Their fear and torment will feed me for a hundred years!” The demon licked its teeth as it sneered.

The Hunter said nothing as the demon charged. Drawing his sword released a repulsion spell that slammed into the demon and hurled it to the ground below. The demon smashed into a tree; both fell over as it was torn from the ground. The Soul Hunter in the sky above felt calm as the light of the morning sunrise shone upon him, reflecting a bronze glow from his black Kendo Gi.

Then looking down at the demon sprawled upon the ground below him, he called on his swords name ‘Soyokaze no Sakura’ as he flew down towards his foe while dodging the demons repeated spell attacks as it stood upright. Then with a single strike of the sword, split the demon in half sending it screaming back to Jigoku.

In our world:

The village awoke to the crisp autumn morning and went about their day unaware of the events that were occurring in the sky above; a battle for their souls was beginning. They heard a thunderclap and looking up into the sky they saw a cloud ring mysteriously form.
A sudden gust of wind blew upon them, uprooting the large ancient tree from the ground and smashing it back down, sending the nearby villagers fleeing for safety.

Shortly after as they came to their senses, the autumn air was filled with the sight and fragrance from thousands of fresh cherry blossoms floating in the breeze from around the fallen tree. Each of the blossoms glistened in the light of the early morning sun as a distant cry was heard echoing across the valley, filling the hearts of the villagers with uncertain fear.

Sakura 400

In their world:

The Hunter appeared above the village and sensing his pray calmly called out, “Show yourself, demon.”

The demon became visible before him, the remains of a consumed soul dripping from its mouth, “You can’t stop me, Hunter! These villagers are depressed, and their emptiness fills me with glee!”

“You disgust me.”

“These souls are mine Hunter! Their fear and torment will feed me for a hundred years!” The demon licked its teeth as it sneered.

The Hunter said nothing as the demon charged. Drawing his sword released a repulsion spell that slammed into the demon and hurled it to the ground below. The demon smashed into a tree; both fell over as it was torn from the ground. The Soul Hunter in the sky above felt calm as the light of the morning sunrise shone upon him, reflecting a bronze glow from his black Kendo Gi.

Then looking down at the demon sprawled upon the ground below him, he called on his swords name ‘Soyokaze no Sakura’ as he flew down towards his foe while dodging the demons repeated spell attacks as it stood upright. Then with a single strike of the sword, split the demon in half sending it screaming back to Jigoku.

In our world:

The village awoke to the crisp autumn morning and went about their day unaware of the events that were occurring in the sky above; a battle for their souls was beginning. They heard a thunderclap and looking up into the sky they saw a cloud ring mysteriously form.
A sudden gust of wind blew upon them, uprooting the large ancient tree from the ground and smashing it back down, sending the nearby villagers fleeing for safety.

Shortly after as they came to their senses, the autumn air was filled with the sight and fragrance from thousands of fresh cherry blossoms floating in the breeze from around the fallen tree. Each of the blossoms glistened in the light of the early morning sun as a distant cry was heard echoing across the valley, filling the hearts of the villagers with uncertain fear.

But not all the villagers felt this way though most prayed for protection from the angry deity, some pulled their prayer beads and prayed for the purification of the slain demon that forced itself upon the village. The appearance of the gentle Sakura breeze was their sign of hope.

Sakura 500

In their world:

The Hunter appeared above the village just as the sun was rising and sensing his pray calmly called out, “Show yourself, demon.”

The demon became visible in the sky before him, the remains of a consumed soul dripping from its mouth, “You can’t stop me, Hunter! These villagers are depressed, and their emptiness fills me with glee!”

“You disgust me,” he said looking away.

The Hunter glared back and said nothing as the demon charged. Drawing his sword released a repulsion spell that slammed into the demon and hurled it to the ground below. The demon smashed into a large tree; both fell over as it was torn from the ground. The Soul Hunter in the sky above felt calm as the light of the morning sunrise shone upon him, reflecting a bronze glow from his black Kendo Gi.

Then looking down at the enraged demon sprawling upon the ground below him, he called on his swords name, “Soyokaze no Sakura. Gentle breeze of cherry blossoms come forth.” The air around the village changed as he flew down towards his foe while dodging the demons repeated spell attacks as it struggled to stand upright. Then with a single strike of the sword, split the demon in half sending it screaming back to Jigoku as it vanished. The Hunter re-sheathed his sword and said a quiet prayer before leaving the village.

In our world:

A sudden gust of wind blew upon them, uprooting the large ancient tree from the ground and smashing it back down, sending dirt and branches flying into the nearby villagers. They yelled and ran fleeing for safety while helping those that they could.

Shortly after as they came to their senses, the autumn air was filled with the sight and fragrance from thousands of fresh cherry blossoms floating in the breeze from around the fallen tree. Each of the blossoms glistened in the light of the early morning sun as a distant terrifying cry was heard echoing across the valley, filling the hearts of the villagers with uncertain fear and dread.

But not all the villagers felt this way though most prayed for protection and forgiveness from the angry deity, some instead pulled their prayer beads and prayed for the purification of the slain demon that forced itself upon the village. The appearance of the gentle Sakura breeze was their sign of hope, and as the breeze faded the blossoms floated to the ground. As proof that their prayers were answered, they built a shrine to ‘Sakura of the Gentle Autumn Morning.’

Back