Inside The Cromwell

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
I don't know much about tanks and have always viewed the Cromwell as a bit of an ugly duckling. Of course, as we all know, we should never judge a book by its cover (or a tank by its turret;)).

I found this video fascinating and it drove home to me just how capable (and fast) a tank this was. There's a very good explanation of why it has such an odd looking turret with bolt-on armour. There's also a good explanation of why the Rolls Royce Meteor was in such short supply for a while and limited the number of Cromwells that could be built until well into 1944.

Found this video and thought it a good book end for the Cromwell. This time, it's the Sherman. Possibly one of the most recognisable tanks ever, it's also an example of the American production line in action. These vehicles were made all over the USA (and under licence in Canada). Companies like Ford and Chevrolet churned them out at a volume that the Germans could never hope to achieve.

And now for something with a bit more humour (featuring Cromwells and Shermans).