The Runes of the Earth (Outsold LOTR!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novocaine

Extracted From Cocaine...
Has anyone happen to have read The Runes of the Earth? I hope I can pick it up soon because it was the only fantasy series to ever outsell Lord of the Rings! I'm guessing that is a pretty difficult task to manage, for Tolkien's epic world seems to have no comparison. So if anybody has read this book I would love to hear their opinion on it!

The only Runes of the Earth I am aware is the first book in The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant that came out last year, written by Stephen Donladson. this book has most defintely not outsold The Lord of the Rings, it's possible (althoguh I still doubt it) that the the series in its entirety as it spans 7 books thus far (Still I'm not buying it, no way Donaldson has sold more copies especially if one considers many editions sold of Lord of the Rings combines all 3 of Tolkien's novels. It doesn't count in many instances as 3 seperate novels where most assuredly wherever your getting your numbers from isn't just counting Runes of the Earth (but 2 other already complete series as well), which didn't most likely come close to outselling a Harry Potter novel which is record breaking in fiction not just the genre. Harry Potter was reported as of last year to have had sold more then 250 million copies. Donaldson is not touching that. If you are talking about a different Runes of the Earth, my apologies. I could be grossly misinformed, but I'm pretty sure Donaldson is no where near Rowling in sale figures.

At any rate I am a fan of both them to some extent I have reviewed Runes of the Earth (when it came out) and it was my first review so its REAL weak admittedly, but if your interested HERE. (like I said real weak)

At any rate I don't really stress who outsold who just for these reasons, sales have very little to do with quality in regards to this genre except on a few occasions. If I had a list of the top 20 best selling fantasy authors in the last couple of years, I could probably show you 15 subpar authors.

Ainulindale said:
The only Runes of the Earth I am aware is the first book in The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant that came out last year, written by Stephen Donladson. this book has most defintely not outsold The Lord of the Rings, it's possible (althoguh I still doubt it) that the the series in its entirety as it spans 7 books thus far (Still I'm not buying it, no way Donaldson has sold more copies especially if one considers many editions sold of Lord of the Rings combines all 3 of Tolkien's novels. It doesn't count in many instances as 3 seperate novels where most assuredly wherever your getting your numbers from isn't just counting Runes of the Earth (but 2 other already complete series as well), which didn't most likely come close to outselling a Harry Potter novel which is record breaking in fiction not just the genre. Harry Potter was reported as of last year to have had sold more then 250 million copies. Donaldson is not touching that. If you are talking about a different Runes of the Earth, my apologies. I could be grossly misinformed, but I'm pretty sure Donaldson is no where near Rowling in sale figures.

At any rate I am a fan of both them to some extent I have reviewed Runes of the Earth (when it came out) and it was my first review so its REAL weak admittedly, but if your interested HERE. (like I said real weak)

At any rate I don't really stress who outsold who just for these reasons, sales have very little to do with quality in regards to this genre except on a few occasions. If I had a list of the top 20 best selling fantasy authors in the last couple of years, I could probably show you 15 subpar authors.
Don't believe me? Check here:
http://www.fsf.co.uk/shop/mag.asp
[If link doesn't work click fantasy and it's the first book listed, then read the the first paragraph on it.]

And we can be sure enough that the information listed on this site provides proof that it HAS outsold LOTR. And I have no idea where you pulled the whole idea that outselling is not related to quality. I never said it was better, I said it was worthy to read because as said on the site it 'outsold Lord of the Rings'. So please don't make these assumptions that I am inclining that this book is better. Just because the connotation you get over my thoughts does not mean I am saying what you think. So don't pointlessly argue over what you 'think', there is your imagination, and there is reality. This is reality...

And I have no idea where you pulled the whole idea that outselling is not related to quality. I never said it was better, I said it was worthy to read because as said on the site it 'outsold Lord of the Rings'. So please don't make these assumptions that I am inclining that this book is better. Just because the connotation you get over my thoughts does not mean I am saying what you think. So don't pointlessly argue over what you 'think', there is your imagination, and there is reality. This is reality...

First of all it's you are who assuming. I made a statement giving MY opinion NOT an accusation. Leave your attitude out the door, especially when your entirely wrong.

And we can be sure enough that the information listed on this site provides proof that it HAS outsold LOTR.

I'm going to let everyone else tell you how wrong you are:0 Your logic is absurd. That's a book club trying to sale books.

Read the quote:

Since their publication more than two decades ago, the initial six books in Stephen Donaldson's The Chronicals of Thomas Covenant have sold more than 6 million copies and have been published in ten countries around the world. The Runes of the Earth, (published October 14th 2004) is the first in a new quartet of novels that takes place ten years after the end of the sixth book

If you think The Lord of The Rings hasn't greatly eclipsed 6 million copies old, than your quite simply your knowledge base isn't adequate enough for me to even being debating fantasy with. Lord of the Rings has sold over 100 million copies. That is reality.

100 million+ > 6 million+ no matter how you look at it. Your simply trying to start an argument to draw atteention away from the fact you were mislead. No need for it, you made a statement, I clarified it, if such a circumstance bothers you than an online messageboard may not be the place to inhabit.

Everybody gets corrected, lord knows I have had my fair share of instances.:) . That said I assure you the extent of my own familiarity with the genre although nothing near comprehensive is not limited to what I read at a site of a Book Club.

Without getting into personalities here or alternate realities, I'll just point out that these bookclub people are rather vague. Outsold LOTR where and when? Perhaps they themselves have sold more Donaldson than Tolkien. Perhaps Donaldson is the only author they offer whose books have outsold LOTR in a given month or sales period. They aren't specific and they don't compare figures so there is no way of knowing what they are talking about.

On the other hand, enough is known about Tolkien's international sales figures to assure us that six million copies is a drop in the bucket.

Without getting into personalities here or alternate realities, I'll just point out that these bookclub people are rather vague. Outsold LOTR where and when? Perhaps they themselves have sold more Donaldson than Tolkien. Perhaps Donaldson is the only author they offer whose books have outsold LOTR in a given month or sales period. They aren't specific and they don't compare figures so there is no way of knowing what they are talking about.

On the other hand, enough is known about Tolkien's international sales figures to assure us that six million copies is a drop in the bucket.

Absolutely my point, Kelpie, regretably I was not able to say it with the clarity you did.

I bought it when it came out, haven't read it yet because the series may not be finished for a few years

If someone has newer information please tell me as I am interested but last I heard (and this is possibly outdated), no new book until 2007?

You don't know that The Runes of the Earth sold 6 million, probably your information is outdated. Now, I'm not going to waste my time on you and your pitiful argumentive skills so let's drop it? I believe I'm right, you believe you're right and we leave it at that. And refer to your first post; you instigated this. You obviously don't get it, no matter how hard you try, you will not sway my opinion, so stop your pointless arguements.
Online arguing is like the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarted.

P.S. Refer to my opening post, this is to see what you think of the book if you have read it, not that it didn't outsell LOTR, in which you are still wrong because I have proof.:)

You don't know that The Runes of the Earth sold 6 million, probably your information is outdated. Now, I'm not going to waste my time on you and your pitiful argumentive skills so let's drop it? I believe I'm right, you believe you're right and we leave it at that. And refer to your first post; you instigated this. You obviously don't get it, no matter how hard you try, you will not sway my opinion, so stop your pointless arguements.

You ask to drop it but spent the last hour trying to phrase what I'm sure you belive to be a crafty retort commenting on "my pitiful argumentative skills". You send me vulgar PM then come right back an post this mindless attempt at reasoning. You are simply wrong, EVERYONE knows your wrong. It is not worth getting defensive about.

My goal is not to sway your opinion, I could care less what you think, I merely corrected the false information so someone else wouldn't read it and assume it to be correct infromation. Period. The mere notion that Donaldson's series has outsold Tolkien's is absured, the notion that he is the only one to do so is statement that is synomous with saying hsi series is the highest saleing ever, which is of course is incorrect also as I have already stated Rowling has sold over 250 million copies. Your rationale is based on delusion, and incorrect information.

Your not special it's quite common for someone to just join a forum with delusions of grandeur, just chill out. No one thinks less of you for being wrong. Like I said it happens to us all.

Yet you continue, please go on and argue to yourself, you're blocked.:)

Surely who has outsold whom is not a matter of opinion, but of fact. And proof would consist of someone producing actual comparative sales figures from a reliable source. If anyone has those to offer, I'm sure we'd all be interested to see them. In the meantime, exchanging heated remarks lends credibility to neither argument, and frankly makes the rest of us uncomfortable.

Could you tone it down, folks, and not take the whole thing so personally?

Kelpie said:
Surely who has outsold whom is not a matter of opinion, but of fact. And proof would consist of someone producing actual comparative sales figures from a reliable source. If anyone has those to offer, I'm sure we'd all be interested to see them. In the meantime, exchanging heated remarks lends credibility to neither argument, and frankly makes the rest of us uncomfortable.

Alright dude, let's stop rambling over whether The Runes of the Earth outsold Lord of the Rings or not, this thread is not for that, and that's all this has become, that is why I have requested that it is shut down. If that's all you have to do, is to attempt to prove me wrong, I don't need to hear it. I'm not trying to start anything, but if this thread is going to become some sort of argumentive battle, it might as well be closed.

To destroy the absurd notion that Donaldson is the only one to out sell Tolkien which would imply Donaldson series is the highest selling of all time; here is a forbes article from last year that states how many books Rowling has sold (I think all will agree Forbes is more then reliable in such a matter) HERE. What does it say more? More than 250 million, and that was early LAST YEAR.

Next, from CNN, reports Lord of the Rings has sold an estimate of 100 million copies and that was in 2001. Does anyone think the number actually went down? Read http://archives.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/10/tolkien.premiere/

For the final piece, Banes and Noble reports Donaldson has sold 6 million copies total Here

another source:

'Rambles' a cultural arts magazine again from last year the same 6 million figure. Here

Another source same 6 million again as of last year:

A UK Fanatsy Database HERE

Does anyone think Donaldson has sold some 100 million more copies since last year?

This is over.

Still continuing? *Sigh*
Some people are just too dumb to know when to stop, and yet they argue over who sold more copies!
See that everybody, that's what you call an idiot... Quite pathetic. How about you drop it, your opinion doesn't matter here.:)

Still continuing? *Sigh*
Some people are just too dumb to know when to stop, and yet they argue over who sold more copies!
See that everybody, that's what you call an idiot... Quite pathetic. How about you drop it, your opinion doesn't matter here.

Your opinion was just proved wrong. You could have accepted the information with grace, but chose the path of an idiot, like i said not uncommon. I guess you were not ignoring anyone.

Sometimes it is hard to admit when you are wrong. In those refreshing moments I usually console myself with silence and hope that nobody notices my downward cast grimace. There is no fantasy or science fiction novel which has sold more books than LOTR. This is an unremarkable fact. Donaldson is an excellent writer though his subject and hero is so dark and so depressing that you are suffocated reading him.

Oh and this thread is now closed, please continue to post on other threads with beautiful harmony in your hearts and deep felt love for all human beings be they right or wrong. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.