The most successful films of 2023

Harpo

Getting away with it
Today is the first Friday of the year, so not many new films are out yet. I’ll update this list now and then during the year.

B48E2172-FDCC-42DB-BD6D-83889DC42737.png

I'm a bit cynical about films using box-office takings as a measure of success
Let me explain using extreme numbers
Suppose 100 years ago it cost 1 penny to see a film.
1000 people go to see a certain 1923 film - it has made a grand total of 10 pounds

Fast forward 100 years and it now costs 10 pounds to see a film
3 people go to see a certain 2023 film - it has made a grand total of 30 pounds

Therefore, using the box-office takings measure, the 2023 film is more successful than the 1923 one!

Surely a better measure would be number of viewers :unsure:

Rant over ;)

I'm a bit cynical about films using box-office takings as a measure of success
Let me explain using extreme numbers
Suppose 100 years ago it cost 1 penny to see a film.
1000 people go to see a certain 1923 film - it has made a grand total of 10 pounds

Fast forward 100 years and it now costs 10 pounds to see a film
3 people go to see a certain 2023 film - it has made a grand total of 30 pounds

Therefore, using the box-office takings measure, the 2023 film is more successful than the 1923 one!

Surely a better measure would be number of viewers :unsure:

Rant over ;)
Indeed, that’s why this thread is only about 2023 films.

Incidentally, even though ticket prices are vastly higher these days, a few old classics are still in the Top 1000.

E0DFECB9-9229-44BC-BA26-F98B65A6486D.png

Last edited:
Actually, in terms of “how many films from each year are among the all-time highest grossing 1000 list”, the post-2020 numbers are half what they were previously.

Here are the numbers for the past decade:

2023: none yet
2022: 25 films in the top 1000.
2021: 24 films ditto.
2020: only 12.
2019: 49 films in the top 1000.
2018: 47 films ditto.
2017: 54 films.
2016: 52 films.
2015: 42 films.
2014: 46 films.
2013: 43 films.

And so on, the numbers don’t drop to current levels for another decade before that.

I’m guessing a lot of cinemas closed during 2020, plus a lot of people are preferring to stay at home and watch in other ways.

Anyway, back to 2023 - the next MCU film is coming in a couple of weeks and will probably do very well.

I just wonder how Gone With The Wind would fare if just viewing figures were used. I'll bet its near the top, if not top :unsure:

Sadly we’ll never know, as those counting were simply interested in profit margins.
At best, if we know the ticket prices at every cinema over the years, we could spend a lifetime working it all out.

But during that lifetime, another several decades of new films will’ve been added to the list, and unless we can count faster than all the combined cinemas in the world, we would never be up to date.

For example, somebody in 1997 (example year chosen due to Titanic success) who managed to get all the figures up to date at that time, would now be a quarter of a century behind.

Edit:
Somebody did do it, apparently

Last edited:
I have looked at Box Office Mojo and the listings show that movies made out of Hollywood have greatly decreased compared to decades ago.

Even tv shows--their seasons are like 9 episodes compared to 24 back in the 80s.
It's like they make less movies but put them in more screens or outlets.

There was a fascinating top-grossing list someone made where he analyzed movies based on who was in it--and determined which stars were the most popular with audiences based on the films they did and their box office performance.
Roddy McDowall was in the top ten.

They say the current Super Mario Bros. film is really popular--what is interesting about that is the plot--two working class men get lost in an alien land and need to resolve the trouble to get home. Very old-fashioned story plot. Obviously a video game is designed around success or failure. There's no room for nuance.

Disney is not doing these kinds of stories. The title itself would be problematic for them.
We aren't making a movie with super and brothers in the title!

The poster for the new Indiana Jones movie--he looks like he is fearful of having been caught stealing a whip from Walmart.

There are some weak films in that top 20.

Amazing that a toy franchise and a computer games franchise started decades ago made the top 2. But I suppose they appealed to multi-generations.

There are some weak films in that top 20.

Amazing that a toy franchise and a computer games franchise started decades ago made the top 2. But I suppose they appealed to multi-generations.
Weak or not, they made the top 20 so they weren’t failures.

I’m guessing the top 20 of most years would include what we consider trashy rubbish (and not in a good way, I love proper Trashy Rubbish)

Yes that is true. Blockbuster certainly doesn’t guarantee quality.
2023 maybe not a vintage year though.