DISCUSSION THREAD -- 300 Word Writing Challenge #48 (January 2023)

Congratulations to @The Judge on a resounding victory. It was number one for me as soon as I read it.

As for my own story, thanks to @Christine Wheelwright for the honorable mention, @Elckerlyc and @Phyrebrat for the shortlistings, Her Honor for the just-missed-the-shortlist, and @chrispenycate for the stealth vote.

And I did promise something of an explanation, so here goes.

Oh, and I guess a trigger warning for a philosophical mention of unaliving yourself.

So, I was toying with an idea of a negotiation between two parties regarding the purchase of machines to replace a bioengineered caste of labourers (unbeknownst to the purchaser, both the seller and the machines were AIs), and I thought to myself, you know what, hell with it, I never win these things anyways, I'm going to try to write a piece of absurdist fiction despite the fact I feel I've barely dipped my toe into the whole of existentialist/absurdist thought (I have a lot more reading to do on the subject).

From Wikipedia; "Absurdist fiction is a genre of novels, plays, poems, films, or other media that focuses on the experiences of characters in situations where they cannot find any inherent purpose in life, most often represented by ultimately meaningless actions and events that call into question the certainty of existential concepts such as truth or value." Also, "A great deal of absurdist fiction may be humorous or irrational in nature" (emphasis mine).

Absurdism, as I understand it, is a philosophy closely related to existentialism but focused on the conflict between human's innate desire/need for meaning and the unrelenting silence of the world/universe in response to that quest for meaning. Neither is absurd on its own, but the absurd arises from the contradiction between the two.

The title of my story, "One Must Imagine Sisyphus Happy," is ripped straight from The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus, where he argues that suicide is not a reasonable or logical response to the realization of the absurd and the meaningless of life, and holds up Sisyphus as an absurd hero representing realization and acceptance of the absurd, as well as the eternal struggle in living an absurd life.

The part of my story where the protagonist suddenly becomes aware of their arm is an attempt to describe something I've personally experienced several times over the years, which can perhaps be described as a sudden, inexplicable, complete awareness of the phenomena of one's own existence in the world. The closest analogue I've read is probably the bouts of "nausea" experienced by the protagonist of Jean-Paul Sartre's Nausea. Let me try to explain it.

Imagine you're driving a car, and you come to a fork in the road, and the person in the seat beside you says to turn left. So you turn left, the car goes left, easy peasy.

Now imagine it's an alien being in the driver's seat, intelligent, inquisitive, but who came to Earth wholly ignorant of our technology and has been incessantly asking how and why things work. When told to turn left, the alien thinks, okay, I use my upper appendages to turn the steering wheel counterclockwise and this engages a mechanism (assisted by the power steering) which angles the front wheels to the left and by virtue of the friction between the rubber and the asphalt of the road the body of the vehicle is pulled to the left and while doing so I maintain pressure on the accelerator pedal with my lower appendage which manages the flow of fuel into the engine and . . . etc etc ad nauseam.

Now imagine the driver is your mind/consciousness, the car is your body, and you are suddenly, inexplicably, thrust from the former mindset into the latter. That's kind of what I'm driving at (no pun intended).

In the story, this realization of the self is furthered when the protagonist is cast into nothingness by the surreal nature of the Man in the Suit; left, quite literally, alone with their thoughts, they come to the realization proposed by René Descartes; Cogito, ergo sum - I think, therefore I am.

Having had this visceral reinforcement of their own existence, first in body, then in mind, the protagonist is left with this notion of the primacy of their existence in facing the absurd; "existence precedes essence" is a maxim espoused by a number of existentialist philosophers and applies here. Camus wrote in The Myth of Sisyphus: "Thus I draw from the absurd three consequences, which are my revolt, my freedom, and my passion." The freedom here is in the protagonist's ability to choose how they confront the absurd (the choice).

There is a quote falsely attributed to Camus that reads: "Should I kill myself, or have a cup of coffee?" The nihilist, I think, being concerned solely with the meaningless of the world would see no distinction between the two choices, where the absurdist acknowledges the possibility of the individual finding subjective meaning in their life (though decidedly less optimistic about that drive to find or create meaning than broader existentialism). The protagonist of my story, having come through the reverie of their own existence and finding themself back in the world, faced with the absurd, is offered this metaphorical cup of coffee but the result of their freedom and their choice is left ambiguous (honestly I can't remember if this was intentional or if I just ran out of words!). Regardless of their choice, it is clear the dirty laundry is just going to keep coming.

Looking back at it now, I tried to cram a lot into 300 words. I also may have fallen into a trap of trying to express something I can't be certain I quite yet fully understand; I hope anyone more well-read on the subject than I can forgive any errors in understanding or incomplete logic. I'm still a neophyte in this, and admittedly while something about existentialist/absurdist thought draws me in, I have had difficulty thus far reconciling what I've read and learned with my own beliefs about why life is worth living.

Also, I harbor a very strong dislike for doing laundry.

Oh, my goodness. I'm really not sure what happened here. I was convinced that I would get nowhere with the daft idea of an ensorcelled murdering shirt, and that my original thought of a ghost in one of the terrible Magdalen laundries would have been a much better bet for votes. Which just goes to show something, though what I'm not sure -- either I'm wholly incapable of assessing my own work (some of my stories which I've liked a lot more barely got a quarter of these votes) but more likely a lot of you are wholly irrational! (On the other hand, the shirts you were wearing might have had some say in the matter... ;))

But thank you all, including chrispenycate with his last minute stealth vote!

As usual, after the time for editing was over I saw things I wanted to change, not least making it more ambiguous as to whether the shirt was only killing bad people, as it maintained, or it had become an out-and-out psychopath. One clue as to its turning to the bad was the reference to the "cutty sark" -- Scots for short petticoat/shift, which is worn by the witch in Robert Burns' poem Tam O'Shanter. (The witch chases Tam, and catches hold of his mare's tail just as he reaches the safety of the Brig o'Doon crossing running water, which is why the tea clipper, Cutty Sark, had a figurehead of a women in a petticoat holding some tow/unpicked rope in her hand, to represent the tail she's torn off the poor horse.) As to the classical allusions, the Shirt of Nessus was the garment poisoned with the blood of the centaur Nessus which kills his killer, Heracles, so a deliberate act of revenge, and Nemesis was the name of the goddess embodying retribution. And blackwork really is a form of embroidery, particularly used in the Tudor period.

@BigJ -- I didn't get any of that absurd/Camus stuff! I saw it as the poor woman having a kind of mental breakdown at the neverending workload in some kind of prison, and then making the choice to survive and continue and endure despite the horror of her predicament -- the only weapon she had against her captors.

@Phyrebrat -- I got the allusion to the plane with the last line, but still had to read the story four times before I cottoned on to what all the imagery was!

Many thanks for the mentions / shortlists to @johnnyjet, @Christine Wheelwright, @sule, @BT Jones, @AnRoinnUltra, @THX1138, @paranoid marvin, @Luiglin, @Cat's Cradle and @Jo Zebedee.

A special thanks to @JS Wiig, @Phyrebrat, @Peter V and @Ursa major for the votes.

That's ten mentions / shortlists and four votes. So near and yet so far.

I was driven nuts by my story this month. It's only when I tried to write the thing that I realised the multiple paradoxes involved in time travel and just how complex it can get and I decided to introduce an element of humour hoping, I suppose, that it would hide the impossibility of the whole thing. As always, a day after I posted I thought of an even better version but, in reality, I'm happy with the votes and shortlists that the story gleaned.

For those that couldn't relate my story to the picture: from above, I imagined that the layout of the laundry could be interpreted as a blueprint of a prison with cells and corridors etc.

A few people (@paranoid marvin and @Phyrebrat ) mentioned possible influences for my story - I'm afraid they weren't but I was kind of going with the vibe of the Djinn/desert spirit vibe, hence the name Jennies. There's something about the loneliness of a great vast landscape that set well against the feel I was aiming for.

Anyhow, I looked at the vats and I thought the water looked dark and wondered what might be in there. And then I thought if there was something there it could get onto the washing, and then into our homes, and beds... and, thanks mind. It kind of went from there.

I have just had a cataract removed, and am waiting to have the other eye done, and the combination of one eye that works, but doesn't match my glasses, and the other eye with the right correction factor but shatterinths image in a thousand directions has made the world, and particularly reading in it, extremely strange. I only just managed to organise my short list and vote within the time limit. There was no hope of my actually writing an entry. In another couple of months I should have two working eyes, and matching spectacles, butuntil then I'm trying for the February 75, and probably not the anonymous.

I have just had a cataract removed, and am waiting to have the other eye done, and the combination of one eye that works, but doesn't match my glasses, and the other eye with the right correction factor but shatterinths image in a thousand directions has made the world, and particularly reading in it, extremely strange. I only just managed to organise my short list and vote within the time limit. There was no hope of my actually writing an entry. In another couple of months I should have two working eyes, and matching spectacles, butuntil then I'm trying for the February 75, and probably not the anonymous.
Welcome to the bionic club. I'm sure you'll be happy with the result once your second eye is done. For now, enjoy playing left eye vs. right eye.

Hope it all goes ok, Chris.

Congrats to @The Judge on the runaway victory.

Huge thanks to @otaylor @AnRoinnUltra @Swank @Luiglin @JS Wiig and @Ursa major for their votes.

Thanks also to @THX1138 @Parson @Shyrka @Cat's Cradle @Jo Zebedee and @The Judge for honourable mentions.

Another excellent result, and one that proves a fundamental truth about writing stories: what you think of the story you wrote may well have absolutely no relation to what others think of it. I thought this a relatively pedestrian effort, falling comfortably within the 'happy' tier of my released work (I have three tiers: Happy with it, Pleased with it, and Love it). But people obviously rated it higher than I did. Surprising, but welcome. Thankee kindly.

Last edited:
Congrats @The Judge and thanks for the vote :)

Plus thanks for the mentions folks.

I didn't expect anything this month. My entry was a last minute rush job. The first edit was a horrible dark place (writing reflects real life).

It was saved as a result of Thomas Dolby's, I Love Goodbye coming on my shuffle play list. Great song, with great lyrics. While the finished entry is not exactly a heart warming tale, it was way more uplifting than the original.

Last edited:
A few people (@paranoid marvin and @Phyrebrat ) mentioned possible influences for my story - I'm afraid they weren't but I was kind of going with the vibe of the Djinn/desert spirit vibe, hence the name Jennies. There's something about the loneliness of a great vast landscape that set well against the feel I was aiming for.

Anyhow, I looked at the vats and I thought the water looked dark and wondered what might be in there. And then I thought if there was something there it could get onto the washing, and then into our homes, and beds... and, thanks mind. It kind of went from there.

I did wonder, as 'Jenny Greenteeth' are part of English folklore in parts of the country. Spirits that pull people (usually the eldery and the young) into bodies of water to drown them.

Congratulations to The Judge. An outstanding result to receive a vote from more than half those who voted.

And thankyou again to those who shortlisted and voted for my story, which I had lots of fun writing. My main character started off as a sort of 'Doctor Evil' and ended up turning into Dr. Zachary Smith!

hoping, I suppose, that it would hide the impossibility of the whole thing
After I read the story I found myself, very briefly, considering whether or not the step-by-step reasoning held together, but soon stopped as I reminded myself that those doing the reasoning were not temporal scientists or temporal philosophers and so were not the sort of people who'd be steeped in the required knowledge...

...but still had enough brains to realise that there may be issues, even if they might not be sure what they were and what that meant in practice, which puts your story way ahead of quite a few time-travel-based stories in various media.

I am the proud author of one of the just two entries that didn't get any votes this Challenge. :giggle: (This is of course @The Judge's fault, who drew all votes in.) ;)
To be honest, I was surprised and grateful for the 4 mentions/shortlisting/just missed shortlisting that it got. It was a last minute day pantsing piece of work, with a rushed conclusion - because I ran out of my 300 available words - and almost no editing except for some unavoidable and (logical-wise) disastrous cutting.
So, thank you @BT Jones, @THX1138, @Phyrebrat and @The Judge for being so magnanimous!

Congratulations @The Judge it was a tour de force in my book. I can't believe receiving votes from over half of the people voting. Lots of people obviously agreed with my evaluation.

----------

There is not too much back story behind my story. The chief inspiration for the story came from the War in Ukraine. I was contemplating what kind of person would intentionally target civilian apartments and infrastructure which is needed to keep people alive. And being who I am, I went and asked what kind of person would come up with a more moral answer to the question of when to obey orders, when not to, and what the likely consequence of this might be.

I did struggle getting all of that in 300 words and I felt the technique of starting near the end of the story didn't work as well as I had hoped. I wanted to turn the tension up and I needed to get a good amount of back story in, so I tried a compromise but I'm not sure the tension was there that I'd hoped would be there.

Last edited: