Non Genre opinion on the Year's Best SFF from the NYT

pogopossum

Swamp Critter
Perhaps it's my background as a librarian, but I am intrigued by the difference between what SFF is popular in the general reading world and with genre sources, both here and prize nominee lists. Of specific interest to me (because I read the NYT) is books listed there.
On Dec. 5, 2022, Amal El-Mohtar listed his best of the year in the Times. El-Mohtar is a Hugo winner himself. so he is very well acquainted with the literature. My reactions to him are both bemusement that he practically never mentions well known SFF authors (not necessarily a handicap unless you assume that most Times readers haven't the foggiest idea who they might be) in his irregular column and that he has a predilection for books by third world and non-Anglo authors. This is great for me and perhaps for other participants here as we have a wealth of other sources for more recognizable authors and it serves to expand our horizons. Right?
This list has no specific focus, except perhaps toward fantasy and the international.

With that wordy intro, here's his list. I have had problems posting links to the NYT, so I'll give his titles first.
THE VIOLENCE, by Delilah S. Dawson.
IN THE SERPENT’S WAKE, by Rachel Hartman
ALL THE HORSES OF ICELAND, by Sarah Tolmie
TELL ME AN ENDING by Jo Harkin
THE IMPOSSIBLE US, by Sarah Lotz
HER MAJESTY’S ROYAL COVEN, by Juno Dawson
LOCKLANDS by Robert Jackson Bennett
BABEL by R.F. Kuang
SELF-PORTRAIT WITH NOTHING by Aimee Pokwatka
THE BALLAD OF PERILOUS GRAVES by Alex Jennings
THE SCRATCH DAUGHTERS, by H.A. Clarke

And here's the LINK to the Times for those who might be able to open it, for a paragraph of description on each title.

Last edited: