Star Wars: An immersive and sophisticated movie experience

Early reviews of the first few movies state that they are the equivalent of Saturday matinee Republic serials, and they likely are as Lucas wanted to remake Flash Gordon. This is also seen in allusions to movies like the one just mentioned, various westerns, pirate flicks, and even war movies like Dam Busters:

However, he also borrowed from what he saw in film school, like Kurosawa's works. That plus what he read from Campbell allowed him to make his own stories, but what made them immersive and sophisticated are the special effects, which is what I remember impressed not only kids but even older audiences.

In time, viewers got used to them, so he tried to make stories more sophisticated by bringing in political intrigue in the prequels, but it didn't work.

Finally, we have the sequels, which essentially borrow from the earlier films and cram in more spectacle.

I admit , id like to have seen him do Flash Gordon .

From

The Princess Leia we saw on screen in Star Wars is a pseudo-composite of Dale and Aura, but in Lucas’ early drafts, Leia’s identity was constantly shifting.

“In Lucas’ next draft [second draft, roughly] the Princess is reduced to a minor character,” they write. “Instead, evil Sith Lord and Imperial operative Darth Vader captures 25-year-old Deak Starkiller at the outset of the story.”

Key movie influences of Star Wars:

However, many of the links in the article don't work. You might find several examples in other sites, though. For example, together with the reference to Dam Busters,

"Sir Guinness"????????????????????????????????

Might be referring to this:

Thanks, but I was referring to the incorrect (and to British ears, bizarre-sounding) use of "Sir" with just a surname. It's "Sir Alec" or "Sir Alec Guinness". Or few would object to just "Alec Guinness" or "Guinness". In fact, "Sir Guinness" is the only completely wrong combination.

Thanks, but I was referring to the incorrect (and to British ears, bizarre-sounding) use of "Sir" with just a surname. It's "Sir Alec" or "Sir Alec Guinness". Or few would object to just "Alec Guinness" or "Guinness". In fact, "Sir Guinness" is the only completely wrong combination.

They're probably not British.

I think similar takes place in other cultures. For example, I've young Filipino friends who say "Sir ____" (the surname, most of the time). Apparently, in their language, "sir" is the equivalent of "po," or the shortened form of "poon," or "lord." FWIW, it's used not only for anyone with a knighthood but for someone considered a superior. Failure to use "po" is considered a sign of bad upbringing.

7410612D-3A88-4B07-9EAF-56DB218CBF26.jpeg

Yes, but in the future people might not know to do that. 1-3 first, then 4-6, then 7-9, they will think.
I weep for the dystopian hell where you can watch an entire film but have lost the knowledge that it was made in 1977.

Me too, but they are literally numbered I-IX, so anybody watching them all will follow that sequence rather than try to find the very tiny “1977” (etc) on the box. Or, of course, sometimes the series all get broadcast in 1-9 order. Little kids watching for the first time will prefer seeing young Anakin grow up and turn bad and then be The Villain, etc etc.

Me too, but they are literally numbered I-IX, so anybody watching them all will follow that sequence rather than try to find the very tiny “1977” (etc) on the box. Or, of course, sometimes the series all get broadcast in 1-9 order. Little kids watching for the first time will prefer seeing young Anakin grow up and turn bad and then be The Villain, etc etc.
Little kids also prefer chicken fingers. They don't get a vote.

Indeed, but they will grow up having only known the films in the order they watched them, and they will not want to change that just because the middle three were made first. They won’t care, and why should they?

Ive seen that film a few times.

Obviously somebody has gone through the trouble of watching all the Star Wars movies in chronological order. Are any of those people here? How does the story hold up if watched in that way? There seems to be great potential for story problems. Any thoughts?

Obviously somebody has gone through the trouble of watching all the Star Wars movies in chronological order. Are any of those people here? How does the story hold up if watched in that way? There seems to be great potential for story problems. Any thoughts?

The prequels directed by Lucas are crap.