Books on relativity (GR and SR) and/or Quantum physics not too mathy.

Thank you for the video. It was a bit of "fast talking" especially the GR bit, so it wasn't so satisfactory for me. The bit about acceleration causing time-dilation, for example

When she said that she had tried to read up about "Einstein" and not understood anything I was immediately reminded of this thread! :giggle:

I think she tried to get to the basics that make up special relativity - without the maths - although there is, for me, unsatisfactory comments where she just says "these maths work". Actually, it does makes sense if you know where the maths comes from....sort of!

(Applying maths to the real world is always a bit head scratching.)

Thanks for the video, @Venusian Broon. I'll probably need to watch it a couple of more times to get all the points. I got lost at the point where she introduced constant space-time curves; I am not sure what the significance of those lines or what constant space-time means. This means I was lost when she addressed acceleration and then moved on to gravity. I guess my schooling was a little slow as I didn't learn about Euclidean geometry in kindergarden.

By coincidence I have just picked up a copy of Banesh Hoffman's "The Strange Story of the Quantum" 1959 edition.
He has a buoyant and slightly humorous style, which I rather like. And, to boot, I do feel that I am now understanding things that I did not.
Particularly about light waves.

Back