Indiana Jones And The Dial of Destiny (2023)

I think it interesting that with the new film just out, we are talking about the original instead.

With my moderator's hat on (pun intended) I did wonder whether to split off this discussion into another separate thread, but it is really about the direction of the franchise as a whole, and where this film (and the others) take it compared to the original idea. I think that discussion is very relevant. I also haven't seen this film yet and suspect that several others reading this thread haven't, so I cannot yet comment on this film itself.

What I would request is that we don't try to explain the meaning of Old Testament doctrine here any further, as I don't see that is particularly relevant to the understanding of the plot. It isn't as if any of them were religious films. Some might even see them as blasphemous. The aliens, cough! err... interdimensional beings, in the last film definitely took the franchise away from any religious mysticism, and to a more solid SF flying saucer footing.

I think that anyone who wants to do a full review with spoilers on this film should begin a new thread, marked as so, and link to it here.

I think it is because those that have seen the new film are very much underwhelmed.
It might be a case of the old adage "You should never go back to old love[r]s."

I saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny two nights ago.

The first ten minutes is all action featuring a cg version of Harrison Ford's thirty something year old face doing mostly cg action against cg nazis on a cg train at night to hide the cg. When it's not cg action, it's all subtitled German language info dump to explain the Dial of Destiny.

There is no need for any explanation of Indy, but since all the other characters are new they must be introduced.... yet none of them are neither interesting, comedic, nor threatening. The film does not feature any of Indy's humor... in fact, geriatric Indy is actually unlikeable. The plot is a rehash of The Last Crusade with Indy playing the father and his goddaughter playing Indy (even having a child sidekick). There are a few attempts to recall memorable aspects of Raiders and Crusade, but they are either heavy handed (the inclusion of Sallah and Marion), mishandled (Indy pulling a gun and a motorcycle chase scene), not consistent (plotting Indy's travels on a map... either do them all or do none), or almost non-existent (John Williams' musical great themes of adventure and romance).

The opening car chase, the train fight, the parade chase, the motorbike chase, the sunken boat fight, the cave fight, the next motorcycle chase, the plane sequence and the siege are all obviously generated digitally, most are poorly lit, and all are too long.

I think it suffered from a lack of editing. It definitely suffered from a lack of sympathetic and intriguing characters. Also, I don't think the director understood the framing of shots, the pace of the story, the building of tension and it's release in humor as used in Raiders and Crusade.

The best moment of the film occured at the end when Indy faces his moment of decision as he did when he almost followed Elsa to her death in pursuit of the Grail. It's at this moment that the weight of his circumstances and the lure of history allow us to finally see (or Ford to finally reveal) Indy's hope for peace of mind.

I'd recommend Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny over Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

I saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny two nights ago.

The first ten minutes is all action featuring a cg version of Harrison Ford's thirty something year old face doing mostly cg action against cg nazis on a cg train at night to hide the cg. When it's not cg action, it's all subtitled German language info dump to explain the Dial of Destiny.

There is no need for any explanation of Indy, but since all the other characters are new they must be introduced.... yet none of them are neither interesting, comedic, nor threatening. The film does not feature any of Indy's humor... in fact, geriatric Indy is actually unlikeable. The plot is a rehash of The Last Crusade with Indy playing the father and his goddaughter playing Indy (even having a child sidekick). There are a few attempts to recall memorable aspects of Raiders and Crusade, but they are either heavy handed (the inclusion of Sallah and Marion), mishandled (Indy pulling a gun and a motorcycle chase scene), not consistent (plotting Indy's travels on a map... either do them all or do none), or almost non-existent (John Williams' musical great themes of adventure and romance).

The opening car chase, the train fight, the parade chase, the motorbike chase, the sunken boat fight, the cave fight, the next motorcycle chase, the plane sequence and the siege are all obviously generated digitally, most are poorly lit, and all are too long.

I think it suffered from a lack of editing. It definitely suffered from a lack of sympathetic and intriguing characters. Also, I don't think the director understood the framing of shots, the pace of the story, the building of tension and it's release in humor as used in Raiders and Crusade.

The best moment of the film occured at the end when Indy faces his moment of decision as he did when he almost followed Elsa to her death in pursuit of the Grail. It's at this moment that the weight of his circumstances and the lure of history allow us to finally see (or Ford to finally reveal) Indy's hope for peace of mind.

I'd recommend Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny over Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

I absolutely hated the whole Mutt Dying in Vietnam background storyline .

Nice summary, Boaz.

I must confess that i haven't seen this, but after seeing how the Star Wars sequel trilogy was handled, i'm glad i haven't.

Kathleen Kennedy has kill Lucasfilm.

I often wonder what Idisan Jones would have been like with Tom Selleck in the lead role . The film story Raiders would have been much the same but give Selleck style of acting one wonders what his interpration of the character would have like.

I often wonder what Idisan Jones would have been like with Tom Selleck in the lead role . The film story Raiders would have been much the same but give Selleck style of acting one wonders what his interpration of the character would have like.
Watch Lassiter and High Road to China.

I think what Ford has what Selleck does not is an a-hole charm that makes his characters less sympathetic to the audience, allowing them to enjoy the comedic aspect of his bumbles and failures. Selleck is much more sympathetic, so the things that happen to Jones and Solo would seem more personal if they were happening to him.

Bogart or Newman might have managed something similar to Ford. But they both have a lot more cool.

Last edited:
Watch Lassiter and High Road to China.

I think what Ford has what Selleck does not is an a-hole charm that makes his characters less sympathetic to the audience, allowing them to enjoy the comedic aspect of his bumbles and failures. Selleck is much more sympathetic, so the things that happen to Jones and Solo would seem more personal if they were happening to him.

Bogart or Newman might have managed something similar to Ford. But they both have a lot more cool.

Charlton Heston played a similar character in the film Secret of Incas . He even had a fedora ht and jacket that was similar . Alos a Prope from secret of thIncasa tired up in Raiders of the Lost Ark. In the scene where he was going after the golden Ido at the beginning of the film ,when he entered the chamber with the Idol in back of For Jones you can see that props which was Sun Disk in a frame, that was the prop from Secret of the Incas.

The costume designer said they watched Secret of the Incas as they were making it--so it was always considered a major inspiration (even though you never find it mentioned in any of the official material on the making of it) There are times in SOTI where Heston has his back turned and you can imagine it was Ford.

The costume designer said they watched Secret of the Incas as they were making it--so it was always considered a major inspiration (even though you never find it mentioned in any of the official material on the making of it) There are times in SOTI where Heston has his back turned and you can imagine it was Ford.
Heston in his prime would have been a terrific Indiana Jones.:cool:

The other, day I saw the dvd and was not tempted to by it.

Its a real shame that Disney has destroyed Lucasfilm so thoroughly in their seeming effort to turn it all into a girls brand. Oh, they've done a few things right, don't get me wrong, but the exception is definitely not the rule.

Its a real shame that Disney has destroyed Lucasfilm so thoroughly in their seeming effort to turn it all into a girls brand. Oh, they've done a few things right, don't get me wrong, but the exception is definitely not the rule.
The more I think about Indiana Jones and The Dial of Disappointment , the more Ive come to loath it. Whatever fun this film might has been was ruin by the Mutt's tragedy story line and Indie being divorced and washed up , and unlikable Helena Shaw 's ,the pathetic villain Jurgen Voller and band of misfit henchmen, action sequence twhich looked as tired and old as this franchise and it lead. They had all kinds possibilities and this was best they could come up with ? They really shouldn't have bothered.

I found Crystal Skull a terrible disappointment and Dial a bit so-so, but I always get irritated by the old ‘do or say it quickly enough and hope nobody notices the plot hole’ approach. Who reset the elaborate access mechanism after the original skull was stollen? How do suspected murderers and/or those unlikely to have passports, or any visible means of support, waltz across international borders?

Having said that, I felt it was an ‘OK’ send off, although in the future I expect Skull and Dial to be retconned out of existence to preserve the ‘Boys Own’ initial trilogy...

Having said that, I felt it was an ‘OK’ send off, although in the future I expect Skull and Dial to be retconned out of existence to preserve the ‘Boys Own’ initial trilogy...
Retconned out of existence by what? Other Indiana Jones films?