Indiana Jones And The Dial of Destiny (2023)

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
The 5th and final installment of the franchise , There is a teaser trailer up for it and it looks pretty damned good . :cool:

It does! Colour me excited.

Bitter sweet, because its also his last outing in the role.:( Bt it look like they pulled out alll the stops. :cool:

I was still a teenager , the Sumer before I went to college. When Raiders of the Lost Ark came out in the theaters. I remember going into the theater not knowing what to expect from this film . It's easily one of my favorite movie going experiences. :)

Hmmm. The CGI looks distracting in places. Hopefully they can 'dial' down the over-the-top action and weird humour and just give us a good, solid mystery adventure with some decent character work. Indy deserves a better send-off than Crystal Skull.

Hmmm. The CGI looks distracting in places. Hopefully they can 'dial' down the over-the-top action and weird humour and just give us a good, solid mystery adventure with some decent character work. Indy deserves a better send-off than Crystal Skull.

This, and the Dungeons and Dragons movie are two films I definitely want to see . :cool:

This, and the Dungeons and Dragons movie are two films I definitely want to see . :cool:

I just hope Minsc and Boo make it into the movie. In fact the PC RPG Baldur's Gate is a movie begging to be made. Lots of interesting characters, quests and locations.

John Rhys-Davies brings some fire to it.
I am not won over by the title but it could be worse.
Why can't Disney get rid of that damn piano tinkle for once?
Every trailer is designed the same way--they have the quiet voice over and then the piano tinkling sadly...and then a synthesizer-enhanced version of a score.

I heard about Raiders--I knew all about it but didn't see it-partly because it was very crowded summer and our local theater didn't keep movies for long so we would have to wait if it ever came back. And Raiders took a while to come there--maybe 6 months-- and I was in a car, in my pajamas when we learned it was showing so I went in and watched it in the theater in my pajamas.
I saw Temple of Doom on opening day--cut school for it and when I got to class the next day, the art class teacher did roll call and when he got to my name he paused, put his hands on the lectern and said calmly, "how was it?"

When I saw Last Crusade I had a total media blackout--I ignored all information so the treasure would be a secret but on the opening day--I met some kid I knew from school and he unfortunately confirmed what it was.

I think Lucas is right that the problem with it is that the treasure quest never has the pizazz of the original. These flying monsters melt you because you looked inside the box of the one true God who is very sensitive.
It's hard to top that.

I think Lucas is right that the problem with it is that the treasure quest never has the pizazz of the original. These flying monsters melt you because you looked inside the box of the one true God who is very sensitive.
It's hard to top that.
He says in Raiders that he doesn't believe in mumbo-jumbo, but apparently saw an enormous amount of it in India a few years prior.

Some films should not have sequels - no matter how tempting. The best thing they could have done was something wholly different with the character, rather than another treasure seeking adventure. Have Indy get stuck in a country going through a revolution. Have him agree to negotiate/rescue someone kidnapped in Bolivia. Show a very different aspect of his history.

He says in Raiders that he doesn't believe in mumbo-jumbo, but apparently saw an enormous amount of it in India a few years prior.

Some films should not have sequels - no matter how tempting. The best thing they could have done was something wholly different with the character, rather than another treasure seeking adventure. Have Indy get stuck in a country going through a revolution. Have him agree to negotiate/rescue someone kidnapped in Bolivia. Show a very different aspect of his history.
I love that idea, @Swank. Not enough film makers are bold enough to try different scenarios. But they should have faith that it's almost always the characters audiences come back for, not the action beats. The classic example is Empire Strikes Back. Apart from the Hoth battle at the beginning, there's hardly any action in the movie at all. It's just characters following their own arcs against the backdrop of a broader struggle. And its commonly accepted to still be the best Star Wars movie of all time.

Looks good. Better than the others other than the first. Raiders was the only one I really liked a whole lot. The others were just okay. This one looks very promising. When Ford drops below the table at the end of the trailer I can almost hear James Coburn mutter, “Duck you sucker.”

The Empire Strikes Back does have the snow rescue sequence. It is action of a sort especially with the fantasy angle--just being on an alien world is action but the situation is that Indiana Jones was designed as a stock adventure character--he was meant to be a subtle parody or satirical rebuke of the standard matinee idol adventure character. It kind of backfired because as some noted--the Ark doesn't need any human involvement--whoever opens it is going to be killed. Presumably unless you can prove Hebrew origins.
Belloq should have known that. He was thinking that New Testament negated the old I guess? Jesus loves you.

The nostalgia drives the willingness to have the characters standing around doing nothing or mundane stuff. It could almost be a sub genre of its own--famous fictional fantasy character going shopping. Or cleaning a room.
If the Batcave needs some stuff moves around, does Alfred do it?
Wouldn't Batman be telling Robin--moves this junk out of here.

Maybe the Dial of Destiny is a

time machine? I assume that is what it is.

John Rhys-Davies brings some fire to it.
I am not won over by the title but it could be worse.
Why can't Disney get rid of that damn piano tinkle for once?
Every trailer is designed the same way--they have the quiet voice over and then the piano tinkling sadly...and then a synthesizer-enhanced version of a score.

I heard about Raiders--I knew all about it but didn't see it-partly because it was very crowded summer and our local theater didn't keep movies for long so we would have to wait if it ever came back. And Raiders took a while to come there--maybe 6 months-- and I was in a car, in my pajamas when we learned it was showing so I went in and watched it in the theater in my pajamas.
I saw Temple of Doom on opening day--cut school for it and when I got to class the next day, the art class teacher did roll call and when he got to my name he paused, put his hands on the lectern and said calmly, "how was it?"

When I saw Last Crusade I had a total media blackout--I ignored all information so the treasure would be a secret but on the opening day--I met some kid I knew from school and he unfortunately confirmed what it was.

It's hard to top that.

What happened when They opened the Ark in Raiders was a bit a of surprise to me. I didn't see that one coming. :)

I love that idea, @Swank. Not enough film makers are bold enough to try different scenarios. But they should have faith that it's almost always the characters audiences come back for, not the action beats. The classic example is Empire Strikes Back. Apart from the Hoth battle at the beginning, there's hardly any action in the movie at all. It's just characters following their own arcs against the backdrop of a broader struggle. And its commonly accepted to still be the best Star Wars movie of all time.
I agree that Empire was a real departure.

But you are forgetting a lot of space flying scenes, shootouts with Stormtroopers in Cloud City and a bit of a sword fight that went on for 10 minutes.