Reading your work aloud, (to an audience)

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
Being something of an introvert (INTP, apparently) I am surprised how much I enjoy reading my short stories and poems to various literary groups.
My first live poetry gig was about 4 years ago. Nervous as a kitten but once up there on the stage, everything changed. The poems carried themselves, all the rehearsed pauses and emphases worked a treat. Now I confess that I am a bit addicted to it. Even taking on open mic events.
I still can't remember a thing and have to work from a crib sheet but no one seems to mind.
We emphasise writing here, naturally enough, but I am beginning to feel that delivering your work is part of being a complete writer, and makes a world of difference to the 'social connection' element of getting your work out there.
Anyone else find they enjoy doing readings?

Good topic.

I think this works a lot better for poetry than most prose. I don't like doing readings from my novels, but that's not because I don't like performing. I've given two best man speeches in the last few years and, once they got started, got a great kick out of them.

Not all stories lend themselves to reading aloud, in my opinion. They have to be fairly simple, because the audience can't pause for comprehension. They work best where the narrator is an active presence (not the case in close-third POV) and where there aren't more than a couple of active characters in a scene. What might be called "writerly special effects", used to convey tension or emotion, sometimes only work when transmitted straight from the page to the reader's head.

A well-done oral tale is a wonderful thing, but I think they have to be written specifically for it (and many children's books are, or read that way). But then, I'm not a fan of audiobooks, so I'm possibly unusually picky about this.

I did a creative writing workshop 5 years ago (ended up being a waste of time and money, and put me off writing). But one day we all had to write a quick poem and then read it for the class. My poem was extremely underwhelming and I really hated reading it for everyone. Almost made me want to cry which I thought was a weird reaction.
Although when I was offered to record my 75 word story for the chrons podcast, I really enjoyed doing that.

The difference between being seen and heard as opposed to just being heard and not seen. A type of stage fright I believe?

I'm the opposite, kind of. I can do improve street theater, but I don't like reading aloud to others. Go figure!
I was a bit nervus about recording myself for AnRoinnUltra WofW22 project, but after I started recording, I got into it.

When I began getting better known I was so nervous I had other people read my work. Then, one time, I made some changes. I read from printed A4 paper, stood up and walked around, and "acted" a bit more. It made a huge difference. Not only did my nerves vanish, the reading was much better, more vivid and dynamic, and I found myself really enjoying it. Haven't changed this method since.

I was part of a reading and writing group a few years back and orally shared what I consider my best story yet. Luckily for me, it was a comedy and got a lot of laughs, especially at the end. Others' genuine laughter tends to diffuse my anxiety. I am less than enthusiastic about sharing serious stories. I do get quite nervous each time I share one, even around family members.

>once up there on the stage, everything changed
This happens for lots of people. Happened for me when I was a new teacher. I didn't think I was nervous until the first time I ran my own class. Then a massive attack of nerves, just before class time. Then once I was "on stage" I was utterly fine. In a similar phenomenon, plenty of performers will tell how they can be sick with one thing or another, but once the performance starts, that goes away. Only to return as soon as the show's over. It's weird.

I've only read my stuff in front of an audience a couple of times, but by now I have decades of public performance under my belt (which I've had to loosen). I still get nerves, but I recognize the symptoms and just go forward, knowing they'll disappear.