A guide to the Type 26 Frigate

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
I’ve always been fascinated by warship design so was delighted to find this article

The type 26 will be the UK’s main antisubmarine warfare (ASW) vessel with the first three (HMS Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast) in various states of build. My uncle served on the cruiser Belfast in WW2 so I’m personally chuffed to see another ship bear that name.

It’s a very large frigate and not that much smaller than the Type 45 destroyer but just as handsome with sleek lines and enclosed superstructure. It’s interesting looking at this new generation because the eagle eyed will spot that there are no 90 degree angles in the superstructure. This is to aid radar evasion. Also, although the type 26 carries the standard Phalanx close in defence system, it has been designed with sufficient extra generating capacity that these can be replaced by directed energy weapons (laser).

Dragonfire is the name of the UK’s new laser defence system and has successfully passed its first trials earlier this year. It may not be too much longer before laser weapons are no longer the stuff of science fiction but are playing a crucial role in defending ships from incoming missiles.

All eight names: Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast, Birmingham, Sheffield, Newcastle, Edinburgh and London.

There are also plans for five type 31 and five type 32 frigates. Type 31s being general purpose and type 32 also GP but with a lean towards being a ‘platform for autonomous systems’ as well as being part of the new littoral response groups.

Australia and Canada are also customers with modified versions of the type 26 being built in their respective countries for their navies.

Brazil is another possible customer with initial contact on the subject a few years back. They’ve already bought HMS Ocean from us (now NAM Atlantico) so, no doubt, there are healthy lines of communication on the subject.

UK warship design appears to be quite healthy.:)