Your favourite fantasy author?

chongjasmine

Who is your favourite fantasy author? Mine used to be george r.r martin, robert jordan and robin hobb. That was the past. Now, my favourite author is Brandon Sanderson.

It's a difficult question, I have a soft spot for Raymond E Feist, I'm a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, Mark Lawrence, Joe Abercrombie and Ian C Esslemont but my favourite if I had to choose it would be Steven Erikson. Totally in love with the Malazan series and Memories of Ice blew me away.

I have many favorites but, if I had to pick one , it would be Clark Ashton Smith.

Mervyn Peake.

Tanith lee, Clarke Ashton Smith, for the beautiful imagery and the language. But I'm coming back to Fantasy and Science Fiction reading and discovering little gems. In the past, I loved Robin Hobb/Meghan Lindholme. I'll be rereading The Liveship trilogy and then dive into the Rain Wild Chronicles.

I am really a fan of David Eddings, I read the Belgariad as a 12 year old long before I read Lord of the Rings and even now after seeing how LOTR inspired the series I still prefer the Belgarid.

Last edited:
I am really love David Eddings, I read the Belgariad as a 12 year old long before I read Lord of the Rings and even now after seeing how LOTR inspired the series I still prefer the Belgarid.
I read Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara before LOTR when I did read LOTR I never noticed the similarities until they were pointed out.

I read Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara before LOTR when I did read LOTR I never noticed the similarities until they were pointed out.

One of the best selling fantasy series of all. In it own right, it's become classic.

My favorite has slowly become Sanderson. After he finished WOT for Jordan his ability to write and create fascinating cultures exploded. Something that I adored about Jordan was that it never felt like his fantasy was "India, but fantasy." or "China, but fantasy." The elements of the cultures were certainly there, but the Seanchan, the Sea Folk, the Aiel were all unique despite the features they shared.

Take the scene in which Kaladin witnesses a woman's safe hand exposed, for instance. I was just as mortified as he was at seeing this because of all the build-up. It took a moment to really settle in just how absurd it was. Yet something like a hand being as taboo as a breast was only one fraction of the fascinating segments of the cultures. The Stormlight Archives truly feel like a living world because of it.

I am really a fan of David Eddings, I read the Belgariad as a 12 year old long before I read Lord of the Rings and even now after seeing how LOTR inspired the series I still prefer the Belgarid.

I read the Belgarid years ago , It's good stuff.

My favorite has slowly become Sanderson. After he finished WOT for Jordan his ability to write and create fascinating cultures exploded. Something that I adored about Jordan was that it never felt like his fantasy was "India, but fantasy." or "China, but fantasy." The elements of the cultures were certainly there, but the Seanchan, the Sea Folk, the Aiel were all unique despite the features they shared.

Take the scene in which Kaladin witnesses a woman's safe hand exposed, for instance. I was just as mortified as he was at seeing this because of all the build-up. It took a moment to really settle in just how absurd it was. Yet something like a hand being as taboo as a breast was only one fraction of the fascinating segments of the cultures. The Stormlight Archives truly feel like a living world because of it.

You might want t have look at the Atlan series by Jane Gaskell

Also Fred Saberhagen's Empire of the East Books.

Terry Pratchett, hands down.
Not quite fair to the others as Tetty has so much depth beyond just fantasy.

2a9.jpg

edit: I should give credit to the artist, Jeff Sorley. He posted it on Facebook - and said it was okay to share.

If he had chosen to write horror, he would been great at it.

My top three are Sir Terry Pratchett, David Gemmell, and Guy Gavriel Kay. Might add Lois McMaster Bujold on some days, but I'm not sure she wrote enough, or any quite on their level for me.