(Found) Police thriller, maybe in Holland (non genre)

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
This is not SSF but is still a legitimate query.
I read it maybe the mid 1980s but it was possibly from a few years earlier.
What I recall of the plot is there's a police chief in, I think, Amsterdam (not Van Der Valk!)

His son or son- in-law is also a cop, some kind of organised criminals (or terrorists) want to carry out their cunning plans but they know this guy could thwart them so they kidnap younger cop's wife to enforce non involvement.

While the family womenfolk gather at the family home and go into hysterics the two cops do immediate resignations, this is because they're now going to operate outside the law.

There is then like a Taken scenario where they follow clues to track down and nail the bad guys and rescue the hostage.

I thought it was an Alistair MacLean or Desmond Bagley but looking through their books it doesn't appear to be, I then tried Jack Higgins and Wilbur Smith but no joy.

Anybody out there recognise this gripping yarn?

Looks to be Goodbye California by Alistair MacLean:

When his wife is taken hostage as a result of a well-planned heist of a California nuclear-power plant, Detective Sergeant Ryder, aided by his policeman son, launches an unofficial investigation and learns that a fanatical religious terrorist group is at the center of the plot

Looks to be Goodbye California by Alistair MacLean:

When his wife is taken hostage as a result of a well-planned heist of a California nuclear-power plant, Detective Sergeant Ryder, aided by his policeman son, launches an unofficial investigation and learns that a fanatical religious terrorist group is at the center of the plot
I think you've got it, cheers - I don't know how I got Holland mixed up with it in my memories!

Update:-
I've downloaded a copy and had a quick skim, I can confirm this is definitely the book I was looking for.

Last edited: