House of the Dragon: 1.09 - The Green Council

ctg

weaver of the unseen
NbpcUiF.jpg

While Alicent enlists Cole and Aemond to track down Aegon, Otto gathers the great houses of Westeros to affirm their allegiance.
IMDB score. 9.0 Runtime: 58 minutes

I broke my glasses. So if someone else wants to do honours, please go ahead. I can do it when I get my glasses back.

Last edited:
Not bad but was a little disappointing considering it is the second last episode and there have been some great episodes. No action again, some of the best characters missing, and lots of talking without the drama of the previous episode. Still intriguing. The murder early on was a momentary shock too! That council scene was perhaps the episode highlight.
Some dragon fire would have been a memorable way to finish the episode, but the story would be rather cut short.

Not bad but was a little disappointing considering it is the second last episode and there have been some great episodes. No action again, some of the best characters missing, and lots of talking without the drama of the previous episode. Still intriguing. The murder early on was a momentary shock too! That council scene was perhaps the episode highlight.
Some dragon fire would have been a memorable way to finish the episode, but the story would be rather cut short.

This was very much a set up episode for some major events in the future. Lots of foreshadowing in the episode. Will not say anymore.

However I agree it was low key. I did think Alicent came out of this episode quite well.

Larys Strong is a creep. That foot fetish thing. My God!

Liked the Argyll twins.

Was hoping Ser Criston and the Lord Commander would clash. Vibes of Ser Barriston off Westerling.

The death of Lord Beesbury in the Small Council is a change to the book.

About my glasses' situation. Still not fixed. So I'm using sunnies to get this done. :cool:

The title sequence has been altered once again, with some crests getting covered in blood, and some having only a partial crest poking out from the surface. And yet we haven't really seen major offensives between the Houses. Who will survive, we'll see.

aMyQYBT.jpg

One's down, the Old King is dead. Finally. Seeing the Red Keep waking up was a delight, but it made me wonder, what's the heating bill like, because that place is so huge and heating it up is going to cost considerable resources.

The Queen showed grief, and yet, she was able to commit to her duties, to which her first port-of-call was to see Daddy-o. Unlike the Queen, he wasn't sharing any tears. Instead he were more concerned on who knew about the death as if the Game of Throne's were his most pressing concern. Especially when she said, "He wished Aegon to be king."

We don't know if he went to the Wall, but it's clear that he wasn't keen on going back. Telling the small council, "The king is dead. We grieve for Vizerys the Peaceful... our sovereign... our friend. But he has left us a with a gift. With his last breath, he impressed upon the Queen his final wish: that his son, Aegon... should succeed him as Lord of the Seven Kingdoms."

When they next hastily proceeded with "the long laid plans," the Queen was actually surprised that the Small Council had been conspiring to commit a treason, without ever hearing Viz wishes. Only Ser Lyman Beesbury voiced his objection and were absolutely against last minute changes to the plans that had been set in stone "twenty years ago."

It was chilling to watch Ser Criston walking behind him, ready to execute the old man for speaking the truth as he saw it. When Lyman got heated, he acted like a stained knight. Lord Commander had no choice but to pull his sword, and order the knight to stand down. Then the Hand imposed his power, by keeping the door shut, "until we've finished our business," putting them all inside the conspiracy circle.

Only the Queen were upset about everything and yet, she could not order them. Only the Hand could as he told the Lord Commander to be done with Rhae's execution swiftly. To which he replied by removing his cloak and saying, "I'm Lord Commander of the King's Guard. I recognize no authority but the King's. And until there is one... I have no place here."

It was the only move he could have done, legally.

He might have been the last one to freely walk out from the keep as the Hand ordered Royal Guests to be locked in the champers and the whole staff, locked in the dungeons and telling the ambassadors to bend their knee or they'd be taken. What absolutely ruthless b-stard.

Only the boy king could not be found. Not in the keep. Not in the Street of Silk.

XECXQOm.jpg

An illegal dungeon brawl with enslaved child fighters. Man, what an absolute dump of place, but it says a lot about "the future king," Aegon. Ten-years-old with sharpened teeth and forced nail growth. The knights who were searching him, also found Aegon's ******* kids, abandoned on their own devices.

Aemond weren't pleased about finding out things either. "Here I am, trawling the city, ever the good soldier in search of a wastrel who's never taken half an interest in his birthright. 'Tis I the younger brother who studies history and philosophy, it is I who trains with the sword, who rides the largest dragon in the world. It is I who should be--"

Ser Cole offered his wisdom, "I know what it is to toil what others are freely given."

Aemond proceeded to taste the offering for a moment. "And we can't find him, Cole. You are a decent man with no taste for depravity. His secrets are his own... and he's welcome to them. I'm next in line to the throne. Should they come looking for me, I intend to be found."

lpaKz7B.jpg

The grieving Queen. She oversaw the funeral rites for the passing king were done properly, before she went to tell the SeaSnake Matriarch mum that the King was dead. The old lady weren't happy to hear about the change in plans.

"It was his dying wish. Believe it or not, it is of no consequence. Aegon will be king. I came here to ask for your support."

The old lady grinned. "Well, I must credit you for your boldness."

"House Velaryon has long allied itself with the Princess Rhaenyra and what has it gained you?" The Queen asked hastily. "Your daughter dead... alone in Pentos. Your son cuckolded. Rheanyra's heirs are none of yours. It is your husband who grasps so heedlessly for the throne. And even he has abandoned you: gone these six long years to fight a desperate battle, returning grievously, in not mortally, wounded, leaving the Lady of Driftmark to chart her course alone."

The old lady thought for a second. "The word of my house is not a fickle."

Yeah, Queenie, you're riding on a slippery slope. To be honest, from an outside perspective, the last minute change to the official plan is mighty suspicious. And seeing it happening inside the Red Keep is only confirming that the Hightowers were always planning to be on that bloody throne.

I hated watching the manipulation, but I applauded when the Mathriac Mum said, "Is it in the name of peace that you've imprisoned me? And what of my dragon?"

The Queen's answer: "If we are overmatched, Rhaenyra will be tempted to strike us and war will ensue. Without your dragon, she may be persuaded to negotiate. If it's Driftmark you want, you shall have it for you and your granddaughters to pass on as you see fit."

I again applauded when the SeaSnake hissed in Queen's ear: "...you wish to make a window in the wall of your prison. Have you never imagined yourself on the Iron Throne?"

It didn't get the old lady out of her gilded cage. "Ring the bell when you have an answer."

3ca84x0.jpg

White Worm. Showing the Hand the she knew the King was dead gained her a bag of gold, but also a deal to shut down Fleabottom's child abuse cases for giving in Prince's location. "When your plot ripen, and you install your grandson on the throne, remember it was me who put him there. I could have killed him as easily as a wasp on fruit. There is no power but what the people allow you to take."

So the abnormal son was found tugged away in the temple, and he thought that the knights coming in were coming in to get him executed. He even told Aemond that he had no wish to be a king for everyone in the city to hear.

It was strange that the Hand's men were taking him outside the city, while the Queen's plot to get her son first paid the price. Back in the keep, the Hand tried to handle the Queen, even play the weakness angle by having Aegon on the throne, instead of the one he'd chosen.

"Reluctance to murder is not a weakness," the Queen shouted. "I have Aegon. We'll proceed now as I see fit. We will send terms to Rhaenyra on the Dragonstone. True terms, such that she may accept without shame."

The Hand's answer. "If she lives, her allies will mass behind her banners, looking for her return."

"Then she must not return," the Queen said hastily. "My husband would have desired this mercy be shown to his daughter."

The Hand looked her in the eyes. "Your husband? Or you, his daughter's childhood companion?"

The answer, "Criston Cole will be named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. My son will be anointed at dawn. The whole of King's Landing must witness his ascent. He will assume authority. There will be no more dithering. My son will take the crown of his namesake, the Conqueror and carry Blackfyre, his sword."

The Hand was pleased. Lord Larys not so much. He wanted the Hand dead and White Worm's web shutdown. The latter got done so that he could jerk off with the Queen or am I misunderstanding the houses in Flea Bottom getting torched. But I suspect that White Worm is still alive.

First one was needed to crown the King. Doing him in before the coronation would have been suspicious. But it also tells a lot about the Larys really being the snake in the garden, trying to corrupt the whole Kingdom.

People were cheering to his ascension, before the Old Lady broke into the temple of the Seven with her dragon to voice her objection.

3bukVuM.jpg

One word and a thousand page of drama would be wiped off by dragon fire.

--

8/10

Larys Strong is a creep. That foot fetish thing. My God!
I thought they were both pleasing each other, but no touching.

By the way it took me three hours to get through that thing. LOL. Going to see if my glasses are fixed so I can possibly try to do Andor next.

About my glasses' situation. Still not fixed. So I'm using sunnies to get this done. :cool:

The title sequence has been altered once again, with some crests getting covered in blood, and some having only a partial crest poking out from the surface. And yet we haven't really seen major offensives between the Houses. Who will survive, we'll see.

aMyQYBT.jpg

One's down, the Old King is dead. Finally. Seeing the Red Keep waking up was a delight, but it made me wonder, what's the heating bill like, because that place is so huge and heating it up is going to cost considerable resources.

The Queen showed grief, and yet, she was able to commit to her duties, to which her first port-of-call was to see Daddy-o. Unlike the Queen, he wasn't sharing any tears. Instead he were more concerned on who knew about the death as if the Game of Throne's were his most pressing concern. Especially when she said, "He wished Aegon to be king."

We don't know if he went to the Wall, but it's clear that he wasn't keen on going back. Telling the small council, "The king is dead. We grieve for Vizerys the Peaceful... our sovereign... our friend. But he has left us a with a gift. With his last breath, he impressed upon the Queen his final wish: that his son, Aegon... should succeed him as Lord of the Seven Kingdoms."

When they next hastily proceeded with "the long laid plans," the Queen was actually surprised that the Small Council had been conspiring to commit a treason, without ever hearing Viz wishes. Only Ser Lyman Beesbury voiced his objection and were absolutely against last minute changes to the plans that had been set in stone "twenty years ago."

It was chilling to watch Ser Criston walking behind him, ready to execute the old man for speaking the truth as he saw it. When Lyman got heated, he acted like a stained knight. Lord Commander had no choice but to pull his sword, and order the knight to stand down. Then the Hand imposed his power, by keeping the door shut, "until we've finished our business," putting them all inside the conspiracy circle.

Only the Queen were upset about everything and yet, she could not order them. Only the Hand could as he told the Lord Commander to be done with Rhae's execution swiftly. To which he replied by removing his cloak and saying, "I'm Lord Commander of the King's Guard. I recognize no authority but the King's. And until there is one... I have no place here."

It was the only move he could have done, legally.

He might have been the last one to freely walk out from the keep as the Hand ordered Royal Guests to be locked in the champers and the whole staff, locked in the dungeons and telling the ambassadors to bend their knee or they'd be taken. What absolutely ruthless b-stard.

Only the boy king could not be found. Not in the keep. Not in the Street of Silk.

XECXQOm.jpg

An illegal dungeon brawl with enslaved child fighters. Man, what an absolute dump of place, but it says a lot about "the future king," Aegon. Ten-years-old with sharpened teeth and forced nail growth. The knights who were searching him, also found Aegon's ******* kids, abandoned on their own devices.

Aemond weren't pleased about finding out things either. "Here I am, trawling the city, ever the good soldier in search of a wastrel who's never taken half an interest in his birthright. 'Tis I the younger brother who studies history and philosophy, it is I who trains with the sword, who rides the largest dragon in the world. It is I who should be--"

Ser Cole offered his wisdom, "I know what it is to toil what others are freely given."

Aemond proceeded to taste the offering for a moment. "And we can't find him, Cole. You are a decent man with no taste for depravity. His secrets are his own... and he's welcome to them. I'm next in line to the throne. Should they come looking for me, I intend to be found."

lpaKz7B.jpg

The grieving Queen. She oversaw the funeral rites for the passing king were done properly, before she went to tell the SeaSnake Matriarch mum that the King was dead. The old lady weren't happy to hear about the change in plans.

"It was his dying wish. Believe it or not, it is of no consequence. Aegon will be king. I came here to ask for your support."

The old lady grinned. "Well, I must credit you for your boldness."

"House Velaryon has long allied itself with the Princess Rhaenyra and what has it gained you?" The Queen asked hastily. "Your daughter dead... alone in Pentos. Your son cuckolded. Rheanyra's heirs are none of yours. It is your husband who grasps so heedlessly for the throne. And even he has abandoned you: gone these six long years to fight a desperate battle, returning grievously, in not mortally, wounded, leaving the Lady of Driftmark to chart her course alone."

The old lady thought for a second. "The word of my house is not a fickle."

Yeah, Queenie, you're riding on a slippery slope. To be honest, from an outside perspective, the last minute change to the official plan is mighty suspicious. And seeing it happening inside the Red Keep is only confirming that the Hightowers were always planning to be on that bloody throne.

I hated watching the manipulation, but I applauded when the Mathriac Mum said, "Is it in the name of peace that you've imprisoned me? And what of my dragon?"

The Queen's answer: "If we are overmatched, Rhaenyra will be tempted to strike us and war will ensue. Without your dragon, she may be persuaded to negotiate. If it's Driftmark you want, you shall have it for you and your granddaughters to pass on as you see fit."

I again applauded when the SeaSnake hissed in Queen's ear: "...you wish to make a window in the wall of your prison. Have you never imagined yourself on the Iron Throne?"

It didn't get the old lady out of her gilded cage. "Ring the bell when you have an answer."

3ca84x0.jpg

White Worm. Showing the Hand the she knew the King was dead gained her a bag of gold, but also a deal to shut down Fleabottom's child abuse cases for giving in Prince's location. "When your plot ripen, and you install your grandson on the throne, remember it was me who put him there. I could have killed him as easily as a wasp on fruit. There is no power but what the people allow you to take."

So the abnormal son was found tugged away in the temple, and he thought that the knights coming in were coming in to get him executed. He even told Aemond that he had no wish to be a king for everyone in the city to hear.

It was strange that the Hand's men were taking him outside the city, while the Queen's plot to get her son first paid the price. Back in the keep, the Hand tried to handle the Queen, even play the weakness angle by having Aegon on the throne, instead of the one he'd chosen.

"Reluctance to murder is not a weakness," the Queen shouted. "I have Aegon. We'll proceed now as I see fit. We will send terms to Rhaenyra on the Dragonstone. True terms, such that she may accept without shame."

The Hand's answer. "If she lives, her allies will mass behind her banners, looking for her return."

"Then she must not return," the Queen said hastily. "My husband would have desired this mercy be shown to his daughter."

The Hand looked her in the eyes. "Your husband? Or you, his daughter's childhood companion?"

The answer, "Criston Cole will be named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. My son will be anointed at dawn. The whole of King's Landing must witness his ascent. He will assume authority. There will be no more dithering. My son will take the crown of his namesake, the Conqueror and carry Blackfyre, his sword."

The Hand was pleased. Lord Larys not so much. He wanted the Hand dead and White Worm's web shutdown. The latter got done so that he could jerk off with the Queen or am I misunderstanding the houses in Flea Bottom getting torched. But I suspect that White Worm is still alive.

First one was needed to crown the King. Doing him in before the coronation would have been suspicious. But it also tells a lot about the Larys really being the snake in the garden, trying to corrupt the whole Kingdom.

People were cheering to his ascension, before the Old Lady broke into the temple of the Seven with her dragon to voice her objection.

3bukVuM.jpg

One word and a thousand page of drama would be wiped off by dragon fire.

--

8/10

Watching HOTD with sunglasses is a hazardous thing.

• Haha
Reactions: ctg
Two questions, 1) Is the White Worm now dead or eliminated? 2) How many civilians did died in the Temple of Seven incident? And does it matter for the city that they lost so many?

Two questions, 1) Is the White Worm now dead or eliminated? 2) How many civilians did died in the Temple of Seven incident? And does it matter for the city that they lost so many?
1. We didn't see it on screen and I highly doubt it. The White Worm is too intriguing at this point for them to kill off.

2. At least a few dozen - but possibly upwards of a hundred. I think though, a more interesting thing will be how the Greens can use this to Demonise the Blacks - they can paint this as an attack on the new King by upstart rebels.

2. At least a few dozen - but possibly upwards of a hundred. I think though, a more interesting thing will be how the Greens can use this to Demonise the Blacks - they can paint this as an attack on the new King by upstart rebels.
That is most definitely something they are going to do, the people will get the blame before they scrutinize themselves and their activities. But I also wonder if this was the first thing in the long line of things that drove the Mad King mad on paranoia?

1. We didn't see it on screen and I highly doubt it. The White Worm is too intriguing at this point for them to kill off.

Trust me they will not need this to demonize the Blacks. The Blacks are going to all that by themselves.

I would be very surprised if the White Worm is dead.

I’ve seen these green and black labels for the sides recently. Not a big fan.

Though I see Black is used in the title for episode 10 :D I suppose makes sense to say green for Hightowers and their banners.. Although Alicent's children are called Targyaren right? Have any of her brothers or other family, except her father, appeared on the show so far?

When just raising a hand in objection won't do, displeasure can be reliably expressed by rising to the occasion aboard a super dragon.
I wondered why Rhaenys only assailed those on the dais with a generous Meleysian breath sample when a fiery salute would have put a permanent end to all parties involved in the succession farce. Apparently, these people must be kept alive to continue the plotting plot. :sneaky:

I wondered why Rhaenys only assailed those on the dais with a generous Meleysian breath sample when a fiery salute would have put a permanent end to all parties involved in the succession farce. Apparently, these people must be kept alive to continue the plotting plot.
That's the thing. We know that the dragons are intelligent creatures, and they mostly obey they Targ's blood bond. In theory, the dragon could have acted on their own, disobeying the will of the raider and delivered a roasted Royal dinner with one breath, but on the other side of the coin, battling the will of united Targ's could also have been a thing, and at that point, roasting would have been a defensive action.

It's incredible to think how close they were to have peaceful times and people would have been satisfied on getting a mini-season with an incredible twisty ending instead of a war. It'd have also retained Viz the Peaceful's legacy in a form of extreme pacifism.