(Found) adventurers on a rectangular volcanic planet.

Chuckles

Hello, I am trying to find an old novel I once read. All I can remember is that a small group of adventurers arrive on a rectangular volcanic planet. each of the 6 sides has a different ecology, but the only one I remember is an intensely volcanic side and is populated by large monsters that are I think 6 legged. They travel across this side and eventually cross over the edge to another side where it is different, not volcanic.

Anyone familiar with what that novel is? I t is very old probably from the 50s 60s or 70s I imagine.

I vaguely remember a story of astronauts (adventurers) marooned on such a planet-- in spite of the problems of the physics involved, their shuttle is still usable, and they orbit the 'cube,' and discover another group from their ship survived on a different 'side' of the cube. They eventually discover where the aliens control the planet...
It's been a while, and I don't recall a lot of the details...

Hey thanks for replying.
Sounds similar but I do remember they had to walk from one side to another but nothing about orbiting. but my memory may well be wrong. Do you know the name of the Author or name of the story you can remember? then I can check if it's the same novel.

It may be even older as it makes me think of the Professor Jameson adventure "On the Planet Fragment" (Amazing Stories, October 1937) which is in the fixup novel Twin Worlds (Ace, 1967) by Neil R. Jones.

I vaguely remember a story of astronauts (adventurers) marooned on such a planet-- in spite of the problems of the physics involved, their shuttle is still usable, and they orbit the 'cube,' and discover another group from their ship survived on a different 'side' of the cube. They eventually discover where the aliens control the planet...
It's been a while, and I don't recall a lot of the details...
Sorry-- I didn't mention that I read the story in ANALOG magazine- 5-10 years back. It may have been a multi-issue continued story.

It may be even older as it makes me think of the Professor Jameson adventure "On the Planet Fragment" (Amazing Stories, October 1937) which is in the fixup novel Twin Worlds (Ace, 1967) by Neil R. Jones.
I think you have got it J-Sun. The novel cover looks very familiar. I will buy it and tell you if it is the book I am after. You are the Master.
Praise.gif

Yes, that is indeed the correct book, and my description was not particularly correct either. So you have done a marvelous job Identifying it for me. Thank you very much again for that. It is one of the few science fiction books that left a lasting impression on me and so I wanted to give it to my son to read as all my science fiction novels have been lost.

Yes, that is indeed the correct book, and my description was not particularly correct either. So you have done a marvelous job Identifying it for me. Thank you very much again for that. It is one of the few science fiction books that left a lasting impression on me and so I wanted to give it to my son to read as all my science fiction novels have been lost.
That's a relief. When you said you were buying it, I got a little nervous, worrying that it might not be the right one. And it's great to hear why you're buying it. Hope he enjoys it. :)

Thanks, Yes I bought 3 of his novels they were in a single buy, quite cheap. the lad Im pretty sure will like it He has already enjoyed the Barsoom series, Willard Prices African series and BeastMaster, sky's the limit I hope.