Star Wars: Andor -1.05 - The Axe Forgets

ctg

weaver of the unseen
lKMHPu9.jpg

Cassian must carefully navigate the distrust iherent in being the new member of a secret op
IMDB score: 7.7 Runtime: 46 minutes (-8 for intro and credits)

Last edited:
Two things, 1) the title wins hands down the worst title in the year. It has to make up some memes and other jokes, just like RoPs "The Sea Never Forgets," chant. I saw it around the lunchtime and I thought that they've gone bonkers. 2) The IMDB score has taken a hit, and I'm not sure why, when a lot of people have been praising this series for being bold and fearless on going against the mainstream SW themes.

4Ojf0qj.jpg

Karn might not like to present to the outside world that he's mum's boy, but in the private, that's what he is. He most definitely hates his situation, from the way he was eyeing the breakfast cerials. In fact, Eerni put it the best, "You might as well wear a sign that says, 'I promise to disappoint you.'"

The worst thing about the Karn's mum is that she's a force sensitive, and she uses that for little side clairvoyance operations. But when it comes to being the mum's boy, he came home instead of trying to make his living in the vast cosmos. Almost as if even didn't wanted to face the music, and most certainly not to use family connections.

I wonder where Uncle Harlo might send the boy.

BOawwLx.jpg

Our hero woke up as if he'd had a PSTD nightmare and ran around the camp thinking that they'd left him behind. Before he found out that the campers had checked his gear to see if he were an imperial spy, instead of a contractor. Skeen didn't much think about what he'd done as he explained that he's just doing normal counter recognition to keep the group safe.

They could have capped him if he'd been bad, but instead of doing it, they deepened Andor's dark past, telling that he shared the common ground of being a child warrior and an original freedom fighter for his cause, without revealing anything about what he'd done recently.

The whole group is well-formed from all sorts of characters that live on the edge. It feels as if they've been months in the op, waiting for the execution. And what's really intriguing is that they hark back to the Old Republic days, instead of accepting Imperial everything as the norm, this-is-the-way-how-thing-go-around-from-now-on thing.

Problem for them is that they don't know the Imperial Tech like Cassian do for living so long in the scrap planet, taking them part along with the all other things. It is no wonder why the Buyer were going to shelf the whole op, before Cassian entered into the picture, because in order for successfully to run the op, they need to know the Imperial Tech inside out.

I liked that they couldn't trust Andor's disguise as a Clem and at the end, he had to confess that he was in it for the money. Not for the idea, because to be honest, nobody had really told them about the rebellion even though they'd hinted about quite strongly.

When they split in the night, I though that the girls were going to do sabotage, while the boys went to get the payroll.

yAH5H9k.jpg

I'm pretty certain that Mon Mothma doesn't share a bed with her husband. Not because she's a conservative, but because there seems to be no real love between the couple. They only share the riches, and mostly the hubby seems to be a cover for her real renegade operations, while her daughter Leida is certainly someone that she cares about. Maybe even someone she wants to groom to take her position.

Only the truth is that because of her diplomatic position, her daughter is turning away and hubby couldn't care less about what's really happening in their family. Hubby however were keenly interested in everything that Mon does.

dXTB6iz.jpg

Imps are interesting. I like that they're showing Emperor's side, half of them being completely corrupted and only caring for their own bottom, and the other, wanting to be part of the Imperial Machine that has taken over the known galaxy.

Because of that corruption, the Internal Investigation is having a hard time on counting what's rebel operation and what's part of the corruption. Overall, under the Emperor's leadership the imperial system is only working partly and there's nothing they can do to fix, because of the Sith's influence on everything.

They name-dropped Kessel, Fondor and Jakku without understand that they're part of the rebellious sand, grinding down the whole machinery. "It's too spread out to be organized," the inspector claimed. "It's too random to be random." WTF?

---
not much happened 7/10

The newest episode of Star Wars: Andor, "The Axe Forgets," dropped on Disney+ yesterday and followed Cassian Andor (Diego Luna) and the band of Rebels he met the episode before as they continue plotting their heist on an Imperial garrison. The episode also caught up with Syril Karn (Kyle Soller), the former Deputy Inspector for the Preox-Morlana. After going against orders in the show's third episode, Syril caused a lot of trouble for his unit, which forced him to go back home to his mommy, Eedy (Kathryn Hunter). Needless to say, Syril is a baby-man who Star Wars fans already love to hate. In the latest episode, Syril's mom fixes him some cereal with the infamous blue milk, and it's quite an embarrassing site. Syril continues to be Andor's resident loser, but his breakfast did look pretty tasty. In fact, you can now make your own "Syril's Cereal Bars."

"A snack to share with Mom. Take Syril's breakfast of choice on the go and watch #Andor now streaming on @DisneyPlus," Star Wars shared on Instagram. All you need is 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, 1 package (10 ounces) of marshmallows, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 6 cups blue cereal puffs

I hope this was the calm before the storm because the episode seem to be going nowhere. If felt like a lot of filler to me without much meat.

Reactions: ctg
I agree this episode was slow: a lot of setup and character introduction (and whatever's going on with Karn), but I have to disagree about the title: "The axe forgets, but the tree remembers," to me has a semblance of truth and an aspect of poetry as any good aphorism does. It might be a little kitschy, but it underlines the story of the Empire and the people it pushes under its thumb - the Empire will crush them and move on, but those who are left will always carry a scar. We meet quite a few characters in these three episodes that epitomize those words.

Thought this would be a slow episode, as the series needed it to be for pacing purposes. Even still, it did feel somewhat padded. Still enjoyed it, though, and it's really interesting to see how humanised the imperial officers and troops are. Am expecting the pace to really ramp up in the next episode for the heist.