What does a failed Mega-City One Judge do?

Vladd67

Stake Holder
My wife is currently watching Dredd and it crossed my mind was does one do if you fail your final test to become a judge? You have been at the academy since you were, what, 12, 14? All you have done for years is train to be a judge and then you screw up. What would these people do? After all as Charlie Hunter told Callan you are legally unskilled. So what career is there for a failed cadet?

Apparently, according to the Judge Dredd Wiki, only 2 out 7 cadets graduate. And of those that fail:

"Flunked cadets struggle to fit back into society, having been conditioned into thinking being a Judge is the only thing that would matter. Many have suffered mental breakdowns, substance abuse problems, and early death"

I assume that quite a few of the 5 out 7 also die on training. Possibly.

Feel like crime would be a pretty good career fit for them, assuming their mental conditoning permits.

Well retired Judges go out into the Cursed Earth. Perhaps that's where failed Judges go too?

Apparently, according to the Judge Dredd Wiki, only 2 out 7 cadets graduate. And of those that fail:

"Flunked cadets struggle to fit back into society, having been conditioned into thinking being a Judge is the only thing that would matter. Many have suffered mental breakdowns, substance abuse problems, and early death"

I assume that quite a few of the 5 out 7 also die on training. Possibly.

Do any become private investigators in Megacity One?

There really has not been a lot of time in the comics devoted to what happens after failure, DeMarco and probably Dolman are probably the two best examples but they were both already full Judges.

Comics and extended literature tell us that cadets that fail are often subjected to surgery to "remove the Judge instinct" what this entails has never really been discussed in depth as far as I am aware, I don't read the Megazine this may be discussed in more detail there

In the comic history probably only real example is Eric Spode who was failed on a Hotdog run about 40 years ago, probably around 1979 -81, then nothing for 40 years or so, he reappeared about 2 years ago as an old man wanting revenge on Dredd for ruining his life. Basically told him that he had brainwashed them as kids and after failure he wasn't a Judge but wasn't a citizen either.

I don’t think there are any failed Judge PIs, but Galen Demarco is an ex-Judge.

Given the consequences of failure , who in their right mind would even want to be Judge in Megacity One ?

I recently read Judge Dredd Year three that featured a failed judge who went on to Mega City's medical service. It makes sense they'd be utilised in other services such as city defense.

Who wouldn't? The long hours, the low pay, the danger, the retirement package... Erm.

Retirement? Ive heard the Cursed Earth has all kinds interesting amnesties to offer retired judges.

I recently read Judge Dredd Year three that featured a failed judge who went on to Mega City's medical service. It makes sense they'd be utilised in other services such as city defense.
The writing in judge Dredd marvelous as are the character The world is well realized and believable

It's an absolutely Hellish place.

Was just checking out the recent Jusge Dredd Megazine and it mentions a story DeMarco PI, a story about a failed Judge who works as a PI.

Galen DeMarco was a sector chief who had feelings for Dredd and kissed him, unsually for Dredd he didnt get her fired but gave her a second chance she diidnt resolve the feelings and left the force and became a PI, she still pops up from time to time.

Back