War of the Worlds 2022

AnRoinnUltra

Sci-Fi Seanachaí
Supporter
Just an idea, possibly a bad one -a thread for local newspaper reports about an extraterrestrial invasion in your area. Done in the breathless social media style of high drama and banal. Sort of based on the original WotW to keep it consistent ...might be fun to put together a multi media mash up thing if we got enough of them together; the Orson Welles broadcast fired into a post truth media for giggles;)

I thought only Dutch reporters did that
Spot on, that was the inspiration -was reading the local paper and it just seemed like a collection of random stuff people in the street would say ...which could work well in reporting SF. Will try get something this week @THX1138 ; word count format is whatever you think -3 to 5 mins of reporting (~500 words) from each location could be the sweet spot but sure you'll know best yourself. Deadly stuff, should be fun (y)

Gonna try get something done later ...was thinking it might be good to start with daft social media nonsenseology and slowly pick up the quality so in the end it's more reliable broadcasts driving the tale. Ideally it starts fairly mixed up but funny, and then gradually gets into the meat of the thing. Not sure the narrator POV, might be cool to get a teenager to do a Vlog and the clips run in and around that.

***SAMPLE CLIP - BEGINS***

Bongerlon Lanchaw

Hi, Bongerlon Lanchaw here -welcome to my you tube channel, if you're a first time viewer please hit the subscribe button below. It helps us to keep bringing you content. Thanks go to our sponsors Warfin -for more info go to their website, and make sure to use the code freemedia2022 to get ten percent off their products

Now.

I wanna mention friend of the channel Zombieeyes4721.
Zombieeyes4721 found a tribe of extraterrestrials living in Leitrim, and sent in this picture.
Thanks, that’s great.

And it's kinda spooky too because aliens are the theme of today's show
And to kick things off let's face time Zod Bungalow.
He’s out on the N16 mid block route interviewing people about the apocalypse.

Zod Bungalow

Hi Bongerlon, I'm here with Pudgy and Trevor McMorrow, and they've both had an alien encounter'

Pudgy McMorrow

Hello

Trevor McMorrow

Hello

Zod Bungalow

Now, if I could turn to you Trevor, and ask Pudgy about what he saw

Pudgy McMorrow

Well, listen. It was like, ya know, late yesterday, and I was turning left onto the mid block at the Ted Nealon T junction.

Zod Bungalow

Was that heading in, or out of town?

Trevor McMorrow

Have you got rocks in your head Zod, if he was going left how would he be heading to town.

Zod Bungalow

Sorry, it's just for our viewers.

Pudgy McMorrow

Oh right, cool, okay -yes it was. Anyway. There was like this, I dunno, sort of, massive, well, not exactly massive, but I suppose, about the size of an action man compared to a wheelbarrow. If the action man was human, d'ya know what I mean.

Trevor McMorrow

'It wasn't that big.

Pudgy McMorrow

'He didn't ask you Trev, anyways, you weren't there'

Trevor McMorrow

I was

Pudgy McMorrow

Well I didn't see ya

Zod Bungalow

'So, can you describe the alien

Pudgy McMorrow

'Yeah, ya know, I don't want to curse on your show, but it was ****ing, well, ya know, like I ****ing hope there's not more of them, If ya know what I mean'

Zod Bungalow

'I do, thanks for that lads. Are ya still there Bongerlon?

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'I sure am Zod, did the lads video it'

Zod Bungalow

'Not all of it, I sent ya on the clip'

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'Was that the thing ya sent on in What's app?'

Zod Bungalow

'Yes'

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'Oh. Right. Was there anything else?'

Zod Bungalow

'There sure was. All the stuff on the West side of the mid block route to the sea has been replaced with chrome. And the Martians have every living creature from that part of town locked up in three giant silos.'

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'Why?'

Zod Bungalow

'I don't know. Pudgy, why did the Martians gather up everyone into giant silos?'

Pudgy McMorrow

'Hard to tell. Did ya know Elon Musk was nearly forced off the board of his company just because he smoked weed.'

Zod Bungalow

'That wasn't our show.'

Pudgy McMorrow

'Doesn't really matter, it was the same outcome.'

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'Uh. Okay. Thanks guys. Anyways, it turns out one of our close friends TigerFeathers9871 had her own close encounter, and she's joined me today to look back over the footage. We're gonna play it now.

TigerFeathers9871

'See that hole there?'

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'Yeah'

TigerFeathers9871

'I know it's hard to see from the clip but it's about two feet wide, and half as deep.'

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'Yes'

TigerFeathers9871

'I found it six miles East of Kinnegad.'

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'Wow, what do you think made it?'

TigerFeathers9871

'I'm not sure but probably one of the ocular protrusions from the underside of a Martian spaceship.'

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'Are you sure?'

TigerFeathers9871

'Yes. And. There have been more sightings'

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'
Of spacecraft?'

TigerFeathers9871

'Of holes'

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'Right. Wow. I'm literally amazed by this.'

TigerFeathers9871

'Can I just mention that I've a new video coming out -Tiger Feathers 9871, the link should be below.'

Bongerlon Lanchaw

'
Sure, and thanks for that. And thanks to you viewers. If you have any footage of Martians, or if part of your neighbourhood was transformed into polished chrome. Be sure and leave a comment.'

***ENDS***

Fair play -should come together nicely. Be cool to have the different segments reference each other as the thing builds ...'oh, some guys in Den Bosch have found a way to gunther the heat ray -I saw it on TikToc'. I think the trick will be to make it believable, maybe when we have the scripts together we can go and plug in some repeated 'facts' that get reinforced as the thing rolls along.
Great idea to finish up in Red Rocks, very fitting -looking forward to your work (y)

The finale takes place at Red Rocks Amphitheatre.
Just confirmed (touch wood) the first big podcast star, not naming anyone in-case it falls through. They're gonna do a 5 min scene early on. Was thinking it might be good for them to cameo in the finale, would it be ok to leave space in the plot for someone phoning in, or the protagonists playing a one or two line message that references back to earlier?

Just confirmed (touch wood) the first big podcast star, not naming anyone in-case it falls through. They're gonna do a 5 min scene early on. Was thinking it might be good for them to cameo in the finale, would it be ok to leave space in the plot for someone phoning in, or the protagonists playing a one or two line message that references back to earlier?
Yes, it is by all means! I was going to write some short bits for the finale and let you use them or not. This is your baby, and I am open to any direction or change of ideas you have good sir! :)

So what I was thinking is the Martians chrome Redocks Ampitheater and are using it as a giant antenna to control their invasion. A small army of humans from around the world have gathered there with their heat ray guns and battel it out, and win. or something like that.

Or it can be one of many antenna sites around the world and the humans coordinate their attacks to shut them down together in order to stop the invasions. (That could work too!) Like you said before, let's have fun with this my captain! :alien:

Yes, it is by all means! I was going to write some short bits for the finale and let you use them or not. This is your baby, and I am open to any direction or change of ideas you have good sir! :)

So what I was thinking is the Martians chrome Redocks Ampitheater and are using it as a giant antenna to control their invasion. A small army of humans from around the world have gathered there with their heat ray guns and battel it out, and win. or something like that.

Or it can be one of many antenna sites around the world and the humans coordinate their attacks to shut them down together in order to stop the invasions. (That could work too!) Like you said before, let's have fun with this my captain! :alien:
Class, this'll be everyone's baby if it works. Was thinking it might be cool to have a reference to 'Chugflankers and Marmstikles' -irrational fears and prejudices, though never overtly stated (there could be a parallel online conspiracy theory that Martians have become infected with them ...sorta 2022's answer to the cold virus). Not to mess up the plot but just to leave the listener wondering if there was something that else did the Martians in.
Great to have ya onboard - @Dan Jones doesn't know it yet but he's going to guest appear as a legit British robotics expert explaining the ESA's attempts to thwart the Martians;)
Thanks again, fair play

@AnRoinnUltra we are switching to a new internet provider that is blocking chons for some reason, so here is what I have so far.
I'll private message you my email so I can send the rest in a few days. Hopefully we can get this net thing cleared up soon!

Begins***

Bob

Hello Bongerlon! My name is Bob, and I’m an independent reported here in Colorado. I just want everyone to know that the Martian invasion happening here too! I’m standing outside of a fancy gourmet cheese store here in the metro city and I’ll let the store owner tell you the rest. Hello ma’am can you tell us what happened here today?

Shop Owner

My names is Susan.

Bob

Sorry, Susan.

Shop Owner

Well, yes. You see, When I arrived to open the shop this morning, something had come through the ceiling and left a hole in the floor.

Bob

But aren’t cheese shops usually full of holes?

Shop Owner

Not like this! Look for yourself. See? It’s a large bowl-shaped hole in the middle of the floor. And the whole back of the store and down the entire alley is all covered in chrome!

Bob

Wow! All polished too. Here, let me get a video of this and of the hole in the floor. Hay Bongerlon! Does this look familiar? What was that loud noise?

Shop Owner

I’m out of here!

Bob

Susan? Susan?! Where are you going?! Well, she’s gone. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen anyone since getting here. And that loud noise was a little too close for comfort. I’m going to check social media to see if I can find more info. Be back soon.

(Short pause)

Bob

I’m back and driving through the city west towards the foothills. I found some information as to the extent of the Martian invasion, and it’s huge! But first, I need to stop at this gas station and fuel up my car. I have seen several holes in the ground, and several areas have been chromed also.

Gas Station Tenant

Hay you! What are you doing here? Don’t you know it’s the Martian Armageddon?

Bob

Sorry sir! And yes, I do. I’m an independent reporter covering it, but I need to fuel up my car and can I ask you a few questions?

Gas Station Tenant

Take all the gas you want! And hurry up with your questions, they might be back soon.

Bob

Thanks! So sir, I see there are some holes in the ground here, and I see that parts of this neighborhood have been chromed also. Have you seen the Martians do any of this?

Gas Station Tenant

Are you kidding? I’ve seen that and then some! Them holes are from the big eye things underneath them flying saucers They drop off hitting the ground and leave them holes there.

Bob

Eyes?

Gas Station Tenant

Each saucer has one, and their as big as beach ball! Not only that, but then they float up high with these long thin chrome tentacles coming out of them that they use to capture people with! I’ve seen them do it I have!

Bob

That explains why the city is so empty! And what about the chrome?

Gas Station Tenant

That’s a professional job for sure! Wish I chrome like that, so smooth and shiny. Just makes me envious of them Martians, it does.

Bob

Ok. Well, it is shiny and it’s, well, um, everywhere! So, what do you know about it?

Gas Station Tenant

Sorry about that! Yea, I don’t know. But they seem to get all strange when they fly over it, for sure.

Bob

Strange? How so?

Gas Station Tenant

It kind of invigorates them your know? Plus, they have chromed all of downtown, buildings and all! Sealed everyone inside too they did. Say, you heading west towards the foothills?

Bob

Yes I am. Why?

Gas Station Tenant

I got something for you, let me get it!

Here, this is for you. It’s a Heat Ray Gun! Saw some fellers on TikToc show everyone how to build it. They had a funny Europeany accent! But they sure are smart they is. Remember, It’s power bank isn’t charged up yet.

Bob

Thanks! And thanks again for the gas too. This heat gun of your looks kind of, how should I put it, like something out of a bad Si-Fi movie! Oh! Look behind you! It’s a floating Martine eye!

Gas Station Tenant

Ahhhhh! Let go of me! Save your self! Ahhhhh!!!

Bob

Time to go folks! Pedal to the metal! Poor guy. And there’s that load noise again! What? Everything behind me is, chromed. I’m losing signal now so I’ll get back when I can.

(Short pause)

End***

I did wonder about this, but unfortunately everything I can think of is very political!

I did wonder about this, but unfortunately everything I can think of is very political!
Be great if you were up for giving it a go -I think there is scope for politics, especially if it takes the form of a comedy metaphor but sure you're the boss ...we can always have a newsroom/ news broadcast that cuts in and out where political discussion is ongoing;)

We'll have our cable internet for another 15 days or so, gives me time to get things straighten out with our new net provider (switching to a gateway that blocks some sites, including chrons.)

So, I'll finish up on the rest of my script, and resend you a revised and completed script via email.
Will be looking up audio recording app too per your recommendations. Should I also include sound affects? If so, best advise as how to tie it all together with a cell phone and tablet as well as apps? I could also splice it all together on my PC too. Best advice?

Since we have a few months on this, gives me time to think it out. Looking forward to listening to the completed project!

Last edited:
Fair play for all the work on this -it's best if we use the Audacity project files as a standard so they can be mixed in and out of the master handily enough, and the bits swapped between everyone (think this is the best software for us as it's free so in theory everyone can have a copy). There's no prob mixing in sound effects during the final mix (will see if I can get a pro to take a look before finishing), but it's open to how much or how little ya want to do before that -ya know best yourself how busy the background should be at any given time. I think a PC/ laptop is the way to work if you have access; the story might get complex as it rolls along so having decent headphones and a mouse to crop in on the fine detail would help.

Hopefully we'll get it all down by mid December, and ready to set sail during the new year (y)

Back