1.06 The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power—Udun

Synopsis—Episode 1.06

(Part II )

As Adar hurries from the tavern and hails Waldreg, “I have a task for you” the first riders reach the village, white armor gleaming in the early morning light, white plumes streaming on the wind of their passage. Orcs come running out the tavern door into the street. And inside the tavern, the people of Tirharad—their fighting spirit restored—take on those of Adar’s orcs who remain.

Arondir and Theo enter the fray. An orc aims an arrow at Galadriel, but using some elvish trick riding she dodges the arrow and beheads the orc. Valandil and Ontamo are de-horsed, but fight on. On a nearby hillside, the Queen watches, attended by guards, and also by Isildur, who is dressed for battle rather than as a stable boy, but until now he has been held back. Miriel, seeing his impatience to enter the action, says, “Go!” and without pausing to ask questions, he races down the hill and enters the scene of battle, killing orcs as he goes. (Apparently while he was getting himself kicked out of the Horse Guards—which was before the Sea Guard, and probably another case of willful incompetence rather than lack of ability—he nevertheless picked up some skill and confidence with a blade in the process). Berek is wounded, a shallow cut, but when Isildur spots his father in danger he leaps the horse over about a dozen orcs to get to him. (This production does have excellent horses.) Meanwhile, Elendil is knocked from his mount and is about to be spitted by an orc, but it is Hal who saves him before Isildur can reach him. Father and son have a brief bonding moment in the midst of the battle.

And frankly, the whole thing is so chaotic it is hard for me to keep track of all the action. Lots of orcs die, probably a lot of humans do, too. Cavalry, of course, has a certain advantage, but I have to say that for cavalry who we never saw training as such—and who wouldn’t have had much time doing so in any case—the Númenóreans are doing surprisingly well. To be fair to the orcs, they weren’t expecting—and were not provided weapons or tactics to most efficiently take on—Men on horses. They came with the intention of crushing a small number of inexperienced villagers, and now there are five hundred mounted warriors to contend with.

Adar steals a horse to carry him away from the scene of battle, but is followed by a determined Galadriel (Arondir had warned her that the enemy commander is carrying an item he must not be allowed to escape with.) Her trick riding impresses Theo. Hal spots her chasing Adar, arms himself with a lance, and takes off, too. Adar’s chestnut is fast, and though Galadriel’s white horse is faster, Adar has a significant head-start and has some familiarity with the land thereabouts.

It is now that Galadriel speaks the words that so so many of us who loved the movies have been waiting for, “Noro lim!” (This was a mount provided her by the Númenóreans, and there is no reason why it should respond to commands in Sindarin elvish—but I admit I had already been shouting it myself—getting into the spirit of the thing—and the white horse does indeed “run swiftly,” and begin to gain ground. And, as an aside, the music during this chase reminded me very much of the LOTR soundtrack It's not quite Howard Shore, but it's close..)

She’s nearly got him, when Halbrand rides in from a different angle, and—displaying some trick riding of his own—slides down to one side, almost completely out of the saddle, and uses his lance to trip Adar’s mount. (The horse throws its rider, but almost immediately climbs to its feet, unharmed—so don’t worry on that account, horse-lovers.) Adar crawls toward the cloth-wrapped bundle which had slipped away when he fell, but just as he touches it, Hal skewers his hand with the blade of his spear.

“Do you remember me?” asks Hal, ominously.

There is a moment where Adar appears to consider him, before declaring, “No.”

It’s the wrong answer. Or maybe there is no right answer. Hal pulls out the spear from Adar’s hand, and prepares to skewer him in the throat, when Galadriel calls out, “Stop! We need him alive. I need him alive.”

“You don’t know what he did,” says Hal gruffly.

“Did I cause someone you love pain?” asks Adar. “A woman? Perhaps a child?”

“Eat your tongue,” hisses Galadriel. (Wonderful phrase. She seems to think he is taunting Hal, but maybe he really wants to know. You can never really tell with him.) “Halbrand, put it down! One cannot satisfy thirst by drinking sea water.”

Hal says nothing, and can only stand struggling whether to listen to the wisdom in her words (which I guess means you can’t cure the pangs of grief with hateful actions) and his impulse toward revenge.

Back in Tirharad, the battle is over, the Southlanders and Númenóreans were victorious. Many of the surviving orcs have been taken as prisoners and chained together, out of the sunlight. Buildings that suffered damage during the fighting are being repaired. Isildur and his friends discuss future plans to go orc-hunting in the mountains.

And in Waldreg’s barn, Adar is chained to a post, while Galadriel stands over him, about to start her interrogation. She begins, however, by telling him that when she was a child she heard stories of elves taken by Morgoth, and tortured and twisted and ruined. “You are one of them, are you not? The Morionder. The Sons of the Dark. The first orcs.”

So I guessed right about him. But the clues were there. Many others probably put them together, too.

“Uruk,” says Adar. “We prefer Uruk.”

“Even Moriondor take orders from a master,” she says, getting down to business. “And I seek yours. Where is Sauron?”

Adar only chuckles.

Galadriel’s face hardens. “Perhaps we should bring our prisoners into the sunlight?”

This is enough to get Adar talking again. “After Morgoth’s defeat, the one you call Sauron, devoted himself to healing Middle-earth, bringing its ruined lands together in perfect order.” (As Tolkien explains in his letters, this was indeed Sauron’s purpose, though it’s fulfillment was based on enslaving everyone to do Sauron’s will, as the quickest way to get everything done correctly. And one shudders to think what his idea of "perfect order" might be. This desire for control quickly transformed into a lust for power, and ultimately his turning back toward evil.) “He sought to craft a power, not of the flesh, but over the flesh. A power of the Unseen World.” (This, of course, is the world that the ringwraiths will come to inhabit.)

Adar explains how Sauron bid the orcs to follow him up to the far north. (This would be where Galadriel and her original band of warriors in Episode One found gruesome evidence of Sauron’s experiments in the dark arts.) But despite his efforts there, something was missing. “A shadow of dark knowledge, that kept itself hidden. No matter how much blood he spilt in its pursuit. For my part …” Adar smiles ruefully. “… I sacrificed enough of my children for his aspirations. I split him open. I killed Sauron.”

“I do not believe you,” snaps Galadriel. (Naturally she doesn’t. She was born and raised in Valinor, schooled by Valar and Maiar, and she knows that it isn’t that easy to kill a being such as Sauron. Plus, she probably doesn’t trust anything Adar says, just on principle. Though possibly Adar believes it himself.)

“You cannot believe an Uruk could do that which your entire army could not?”

“I cannot believe that you are this army’s only master!”

“My children have no master.”

“They are not children,” she retorts. “They are slaves.”

“But each one has a name. A heart. We are creations of The One, Master of the Secret Fire, the same as you. As worthy of the breath of life, and just as worthy of a home.” (I’d be a lot more sympathetic right now, if I hadn’t seen how willing he was to expend their lives himself.. And if he had tried to find them a home in one of the wide empty lands, instead of stealing one from the inoffensive Southlanders.) “Soon, this land will be ours. Then you will understand.”

Needless to state, Galadriel isn’t buying any of this. “No. Your kind was a mistake. Made in mockery.” And now she turns vicious. “And even if it takes me all of this age, I vow to eradicate every last one of you. But you shall be kept alive, so that one day, before I drive my dagger into your poisoned heart, I will whisper in your piked ear that all your offspring are dead, and the scourge of your kind ends with you.” (I admit that at this point, Galadriel is sounding absolutely hateful, but I’ll have more to say about this and a few other things after the synopsis.)

“It would seem I am not the only elf alive who has been transformed by darkness,” Adar replies. "Perhaps your search for Morgoth’s successor should have ended in your own mirror.”

(Ouch!)

She narrows her eyes. “Perhaps I shall begin by killing you, you slavering orc.” She draws her knife and is about to stab him, when she is stopped by Hal. She cuts Adar’s throat, but a shallow cut, just enough to hurt and to bleed a little, not enough to do actual harm. (He may look like a scarred elf, but he bleeds black like an orc.) Then she walks out of the barn.

“Who are you?” Adar asks Halbrand, just before Hal reaches the door. Hal pauses, but then follows Galadriel silently out of the barn.

And why, why, why, did they just leave this dangerous enemy chained to a post, without so much as a single man to watch him? The wise thing to do would have been to station several guards. To do otherwise strikes me as abominably careless.

Outside, Galadriel sits by the burbling stream below the bridge. (I’ve seen the bridge many times before, of course, but never heard the stream. Who knew it was so noisy?) Hal sits down beside her.

“Thank you,” she says, “for pulling me back.”

“It was you pulled me back first,” replies Hal.

Galadriel looks pensive. “Whatever it was he did to you, and whatever it was you did, be free of it.”

“I never believed I could be.” Hal pauses a moment. “Until today. Fighting at your side I felt … if I could just hold on to that feeling, keep it with me always, bind it to my very being, then I ….”

“I felt it, too,” she says. They look at each other, but before they can say more, footsteps approach and a voice says, “Lord Halbrand. The Queen Regent wishes to see you.”

(Some people I know think this was a romantic moment that was interrupted. But I agree with those who think they are simply acknowledging, a profound sense of companionship, and no more than that.)

Hal leaves, and Galadriel picks up the bundle that Adar dropped, and uses it to clean his blood from her knife. All this time, she seems not to be curious what the object actually is.

In Tirharad, long tables line the street, and Southlanders and Númenóreans sit down together to a feast. (I’m not sure where all this food comes from. The former were short on food, and the latter are far from their ships.) Bagpipes and other instruments play merrily in the background. Arondir and Bronwyn approach the Queen.

A smiling Miriel rises from her seat to greet them. Arondir bows and leaves the two women alone.

“My people are alive because of you,” says Bronwyn.

"As I understand it,” the Queen replies graciously, “they’re alive because of you.”

“A burden I never sought to take up.”

“Few of the finest leaders do,” says Miriel. “But if you would like some relief in carrying it, I may be able to help you.”

Hal, with impeccable timing arrives just then. “You called for me, Your Majesty.?

“Bronwyn, this is Lord Halbrand,” says the Queen.

The healer turns and immediately spots the pouch and medallion hanging from his belt. (And very quickly, too, seeing that it’s not anywhere near face level. Well, perhaps not so far down for her, considering she’s short, but still . . . this seems contrived.) She also immediately recognizes its meaning.

He bows his head courteously; she studies his face. “Is it true? Are you the king we were promised?”

Hal looks away for a moment, then back, before he admits, “Yes.” All around them, those who have heard this exchange begin to chatter with excitement.

Bronwyn looks ready to cry for joy. “All hail!”

“All hail,” the Queen Regent joins in, “to the true King of the Southlands!”

I must admit, I have wondered sometimes if Hal might be Theo’s missing father. There was no reason to suspect this, except that he is a Southlander and we've been trying to figure him out. A husband or lover who deserted her when she was carrying his child might well be the reason why Bronwyn left Hordern, where she had so many friends, and went to live in Tirharad, to escape the gossip. The boy looks nothing like Hal, of course, but Theo is such a copy of his mother, except for his height, I never thought we’d identify his father through any resemblance between them. But there was no sign of recognition between Hal and Bronwyn just now, so it seems like this can’t be it.

Tankards are lifted high as all the others join in. “All hail to the true King of the Southlands!”

Hal smiles broadly, his first genuine smile that we have seen, I think. The people all cheer.

“The Men of these lands have awaited this moment a long time,” says Arondir to Galadriel.

"Not nearly so long as the elves,” she replies, before walking away, leaving the bundle of cloth in his hands.

Seeing Theo sitting apart from the others, looking glum, Arondir sits down beside him. “Do not torment yourself. Many might have done the same in your place.”

“You don’t understand. It’s not just guilt I feel,” says the boy. “It’s loss. When it was in my hands I felt . . . powerful.”

“Then rid yourself of it, once and for all.” Arondir passes the bundle over. (Quite a show of trust!) “Give it to Númenor. To toss into the sea, on their voyage home.”

After a moment of weighing it in his hands, Theo seems to notice something amiss. He unwraps the bundle … and instead of the hilt, finds a small hand-axe, which someone has substituted in its place.

And speaking of which, we return to the rubble that was once the fortress and tower of Ostirith. There stands Waldreg, with the burning black sword in his hands, one of his arms dripping with blood. He plunges the sword (remember when Arondir said it was a key? remember when Adar told the old man, “I’ve a task for you?") into some sort of lock mechanism, an innocent-looking plaque just below the sculpture of the sword.

Waldreg turns the key, there is a click!, and things begin to happen.

Stones rumble and scrape. A dam near the fortress begins to break (I don’t remember seeing that this was a dam before; it just looked like a large stone wall. But the view we have of it now, it is certainly a dam.) and to pour water down into the river below—where the waters are already agitated. More and more water gushes out, and as the dam bursts apart, it becomes a raging torrent.

In a meadow outside the village, Isildur is trying to treat the cut on Berek’s side, but Berek won’t settle down and let him do it. The horse prances, he shakes his head, he whinnies.

“Easy, easy. It’s just a scratch. You’re okay.” (Errgh. Did Isildur really say, “okay”? Yes he did.) He continues to try to soothe the horse, but Berek isn’t having it.

Elendil—who has been silently looking on— comes to help him. “Careful.” Then he speaks softly to Berek. “Athae, no ídhui hí.” (So it appears that Númenórean horses do understand Sindarin, even if most of the people don’t.) Berek immediately calms down.

“How did you do that?” asks Isildur.

“It’s not his pain that is bothering him. But that of his rider.”

“I’m not in pain,” says Isildur with a frown. Berek snorts and tosses his head.

“When a horse of Westernness rides into battle,” explains Elendil (Westernesse is another name for Númenor), “he forms an unbreakable bond with the soldier he bears. In time they become as one, even knowing the innermost feelings in each other’s heart.”

“You know his feelings?” asks Isildur, with a disbelieving smile.

“No,” says his father. “He knows yours.”

“Where did you learn all this?”

“From your mother,” answers Elendil quitely. (So again with Isildur’s mother. There is definitely something we’re to learn about her, one of these episodes.)

Isildur swallows. “Think you could teach me?”

For answer Elendil only smiles, and gives his son a rough, manly hug.

This lovely scene of father/son harmony is interrupted as they catch the unexpected sound of a loud rumbling. Both look up, startled. A great spray of water bursts up through the ground, shattering a nearby farm building.

And in Tirharad, there are more explosions of water up and down the street. In their makeshift shelter, the orc prisoners start chanting, “Udûn. Eden.” In the barn, Adar hears the commotion. Breathing heavily, he puts his ear to the floorboards, and closes his eyes. He can hear the water racing through the tunnels now. And we can see it flowing through the trenches, which we now understand were built to serve as channels leading … somewhere.

So Arondir’s guess that the elves and other slaves were digging to find a weapon was completely wrong. The weapon was in Waldreg’s barn—as perhaps Adar knew all along—and the trenches serve another purpose entirely. When a character in this series —no matter how trustworthy that character—makes what looks like a good guess, we can't accept it for truth, because he could simply be wrong. The writers, on the other hand, love to mislead us.

Multiple channels feed into wider channels, swelling the flood. Smoky vapors begin to rise from the ground alongside. Then the channel goes underground, feeding the water into the hidden magma chamber of a volcano. (Guess which one?) The great stream of water hits the lava below with a crashing and hissing sound. Mount Doom explodes and erupts! Lava flows down the slopes. A great cloud of ash rises into the air and spreads out. All this can be seen from Tirharad, that’s how close the mountain is.

The Southlanders give way before this new terror. People are running and screaming. Fire explodes from the ground again and again. Flaming ash and burning stones fall everywhere. Elendil shouts, “The Queen” and rushes downhill to aid her. A bewildered Isildur calls for his horse, until something hits him in the head and drops him to the ground. The Queen, Hal, and others still among the strong and whole, assist the weak and the wounded, and guide the panicked away from the worst of the danger, but Galadriel stands with a blank look on her face. After all she has suffered in the past, after all her efforts in the present, she appears at last to be broken by this new horror. Flame breaks open the doors of the barn. Adar is no longer there; somehow, he has disappeared.

Something rumbles, as a great ball of fire bursts through the ground in front of Galadriel. Then all goes black.

I must admit, I have wondered sometimes if Hal might be Theo’s missing father. There was no reason to suspect this, except that he is a Southlander and we've been trying to figure him out. A husband or lover who deserted her when she was carrying his child might well be the reason why Bronwyn left Hordern, where she had so many friends, and went to live in Tirharad, to escape the gossip.
You would have to assume though that Bronwyn would already have recognised him if that were the case. Unless, of course, it was a very casual affair, a one night stand in the dark, and therefore probably not something to have caused her to leave Hordern etc.
Either that or he has changed appearance. A shape shifter? Are we back to the idea, already suggested, that he is actually Sauron? I have to admit that I am not convinced.

If Sauron is a shape-shifter, and somewhere around nearby, I'd sooner suspect it is Waldreg. A bit too keen to aid Adar, kept the key in his barn and knew how to use it.
Whenever this mechanism to unleash the waterflood was build (and how long ago who that have been? Decades? An Age?), and the creating of the key, this key would have to be kept safe and guarded. By someone trustworthy.
I noticed the volcano for the first time at the beginning of this episode, somewhere in the background. I wondered why I hadn't noticed it before. It shouted Mount Doom at me.

There are so many small details easy to miss. I would recommend anyone writing synopsis. You notice a lot more of them. Like Adar calling Waldreg, "I have a task for you." I totally missed that. Remains the question how he managed so quickly to swap the key for an handaxe. This also implies that he planned his 'escape at the last possible moment with the fake bundle.' To what purpose? To be able to be near an escape way? Tunnels under the village, once free of water?
But that pyroclastic cloud seems inescapable and engulfed Galadriel. It does, for once, make me curious how the writers are going to dodge that one. I can only hope it won't make me groan.

Well that's my thinking, too, farntfar. As I said, they didn't show any signs of recognizing each other, so I'm abandoning the idea--unless something comes along unexpectedly later to revive it.

But what makes you think that a pregnancy resulting from a one-night stand or a casual affair would be accepted in Hordern? A rural community living precariously close to subsistence level would not be likely to tolerate a ******* child or his mother very well. They'd be too afraid that they might end up supporting the boy if something happened to her. No, unless the father was known (preferably married to the mother) and willing to take charge of Theo if necessary, she'd be better off going where she could pretend to be a widow.

Of course, she may actually be the respectable widow, or abandoned wife, that she appears to be.

As to Hal being Sauron, which—along with our own svalbard—some people who have written articles elsewhere or who have podcasts do propose, I don't think so myself. If the producers hadn't gone out of their way to announce that Sauron would not appear on screen this season, I might think they want us to believe that he's Sauron, but why deny it if they want us to think it? The producers and scriptwriters have certainly frustrated us with hints about things, misled us, deceived their own characters, and thrown red herrings in our way, but it seems to me that actually lying to viewers would be too spectacularly stupid to contemplate, as it would be sure to unnecessarily alienate viewers. I say unnecessarily, because I can think of no good reason to tell such a lie in the first place.

Here is how I see it:

Reasons to think he might be Sauron are, 1) He was eager to obtain work as a smith in Númenor, and once he gained it, it became obvious he was particularly skilled at that job. Before Sauron switched his allegiance to Morgoth, he was a Maia in the service of another Vala, Aulë the smith, who forged many marvelous things, including much of the material of which Arda (our world) was made. Having been involved in the work of smithcraft in his past, Sauron might find it congenial work while he is waiting for ... whatever he is waiting for before he reveals himself. 2) Hal has a very great grudge against Adar (and won't say why), and Adar claims to have killed Sauron by splitting him open. Well, being split open would be a cruel and painful way to die, but Sauron, being a Maia, would not be dead-dead. He'd build himself another body and come back eventually, and undoubtedly with a mighty grudge against the one who killed him.

Reasons to think he isn't Sauron are, 1)The producers said we haven't seen Sauron yet. 2) If Sauron were trying to lie low for the time-being (for whatever reason), working as a smith would hardly be the most impenetrable disguise. 3) Adar doesn't remember him. If Sauron was wearing a body identical or very similar to the body he had before, why wouldn't Adar recognize him? If he was wearing a body that looked quite different, why expect to be recognized (and apparently angry that he wasn't)? 4) If Hal was Sauron, who would surely know that Galadriel is hunting him, why didn't he let her drown in the sea when he had the chance? Why rescue her instead? (And what the heck was he doing on a raft in the middle of the ocean, anyway?)

The reasons for thinking he isn't (especially 1 and 4) seem much more compelling to me than the reasons suggesting he might be.

Eickerlyc, I also think that Waldreg is a better candidate. Which is not to say that I actually do think he is Sauron, because I don't (same as reason one against Hal being Sauron), but if I found out that Waldreg was the one, I wouldn't find it utterly implausible.

The pyroclastic cloud was on the other side of Galadriel when we saw it moving toward her, and at that angle we might mistake it for closer than it actually was. I agree that if it engulfed her she should be dead, but maybe it didn't actually get her. I mean, we know she survives, and that could only be so if ... I don't know, maybe it dispersed before it reached her, or something along those lines. Maybe when we see that scene in the next episode we'll see it from a different angle, and that will tell us how it failed to engulf her. I, too, hope that the reason why she survives won't make me groan. I'm willing to overlook some things, but there are limits.

Reasons to think he isn't Sauron are, 1)The producers said we haven't seen Sauron yet.
You could argue against that, that we won't get to see him in his true form, as Sauron himself. But I agree there is a difference between the writers 'lying' and producers lying.

I wondered where Hal exactly came from. He is from the Southlands and had fled the Orcs. Probably before the events at Hordern, even though to us those were the first signs of Orc activity. So, from where and when does he know Adar? How long has the Southlanders been waiting for their missing king?

I cannot say I liked this episode but it was marginally better than the last two (less Numenor seems to do the trick for me). And since a lot of the things I had to say have already been said by others, I'll just point out the little things that really soured the experience for me, in no particular order:

- "Keen are the eyes of an Elf." So keen in fact, they seem to be able to spot things hidden by the curvature of the Earth. Was Tolkien a flat-earther?
- Fire arrows. It was just the one but this is such an overused cliché in Fantasy I just never want to see it again. Please make it stop.
- Adar the Orc. I like the character a lot, and maybe it's because I don't know enough about the lore to understand the ins and outs of orc creation, but why is he portrayed as a first-generation orc when he's actually their better, more refined form? So basically whoever created him (Morgoth if I heard right) started with a batch of immortal, loyal, intelligent and strong servants, yet decided that wasn't good enough and went on to create armies of degenerate orcs instead, little more than dumb and physically-challenged canon fodder who have to dig their way around Middle Earth because they can't stand the Sun. Way to go, Morgoth! No wonder you were defeated.
- Abusive Viewer Manipulation to Introduce a Twist: The first attack on the human settlement is clearly performed by orcs and orcs only. They have the distinct orc waddle in their step and only orcs can be seen when humans ambush them at the bridge or during the battle. Yet once the battle is over our heroes start removing the helmets of their dead enemies and discover one human after another, as if the bulk of that vanguard had been their former friends. Cheap.
- Battle scenes. The tactics employed by both sides are stupid and inefficient, and they would spell disaster for any real-world army. No, you won't change my mind.

Well, the fact that the world was supposed to be flat in the Second Age has already been mentioned. The reason why we've never gotten a glimpse of it as such, while we still can, I think might be because they don't want to create an association with the disc world for Terry Pratchett readers and therefore an expectation of much more humor than is present in the story. (The producers are fantasy readers themselves, so I assume they will at least know something of the Pratchett series, whether they have ever read it or not.) Of course that's just my guess. I agree that it's a wasted opportunity, not letting us see a flat depiction of Arda.

Fire arrows may be common in fantasy that you have read or watched, but actually I haven't encountered many of them myself, and I read a lot of fantasy. I suppose it depends on which authors one happens to read.

As for Adar, he has to be a first generation orc, because according to the lore there are no better, more refined forms. Also, Morgoth would never have made such orcs. He set out to make a mockery of the elves, so he captured some elves and made a total ruin of them. Exactly how and how long it took, Tolkien never said (it was something he wrote and was unsure about later, so never expanded on) but I have no problem believing it might have taken a generation or more. Morgoth actually made or corrupted some immortal, intelligent, and strong servants (Sauron, the balrogs, and various others) but I suspect he didn't want them in any great quantity for fear they might eventually rebel against him. I wouldn't count on intelligent, elf-like servants to be loyal, and I assume that neither would he. Elves aren't really well-known for their loyalty. I mean, some of them were, but a lot of them very much weren't. I think Morgoth, once he started breeding great numbers of orcs—partly as killing machines, partly as cannon fodder—he felt that if they were stupid and degenerate they would be easier to control and more apt to his purposes. If not for that exact reason, it must have been something like it, because those are the kind of orcs that he did make.

And it took thousands of years for Elves and Men to defeat him, and was only accomplished then because they were finally able to recruit the god-like Valar from overseas to lend them aid. If the Valar had remained aloof, he might have remained in power.

I have trouble following battle scenes—the way my brain is wired it can be hard for me to follow any complicated series of movements—which is why when I have to write a battle or even a single combat I consult my husband, who knows a lot about medieval combat, has studied it for years, and have him help me choreograph the scene. And also why I wasn't paying close enough attention to notice how the attacking orcs moved. If you say that all of them waddled like orcs, I certainly can't argue with you.

As for the tactics in the scene, I am similarly incapable of analyzing them, but my husband watched the episode along with me, and he seemed to have no problem with them (and usually he tells me, at length, whether I want to know or not), so I assumed they were reasonably well-executed. He almost never posts on the Chrons, so you will be spared a conversation on the subject with him, so there will be no effort from here to change your mind. (If the two of you discussed it, you might even change his, who knows?)

Sigh..... I was actually just starting to enjoy this series, a couple of episodes ago (episode 4) I was really starting to get into the series and felt like it had started finding its stride.... and then this....

The tower getting toppled, I just don't understand how they managed to rig it all to come crashing down, I mean it all looked very smart but just didn't seem believable to me.

The crowd was awful...

I mean this isn't a big crowd - not even a hundred people, and they are copy/pasting? Really? Billions of dollars of production values and they are copy/pasting crowds of < 100?

Has Isildur's brother being cut from the series.

He's been mentioned, so I don't think so. But it may be some time before we see him.

As to ctg's questions:

1. It's my impression that the structure of the tower had already been undermined in some way. There was some sort of wooden support that kept it standing until he wanted it to fall, and it was into that support that he fired the arrow. I've been thinking that the tower fell in much the same way that an immeasurably taller tower, enforced with steel girders, was once brought down by a comparatively small airplane crashing into one of the upper floors. I know little of engineering, but I was given to understand during the disaster at the twin towers that once you breach the structural integrity of a building, anything can happen, and that's why buildings that look intact to the untrained eye are sometimes condemned.

But it's all guesswork on my part.

2. It had been made pretty obvious by the time the ships set sail that the various storylines were not synchronized. So we can't know how long the voyage took. There were horses on board at least one of the ships, we saw them when Isildur visited his. But I can't see any way that three ships of that size could have carried five hundred men and five hundred horses. It annoys me that the Numenoreans—as a sea-faring island nation— couldn't seem to organize sufficient ships to make the expedition more plausible. It would have been easy enough for the production to provide those ships, even if they had to use CGI to do it. I also thought that after they landed they reached the village far too quickly. And arrived too fresh, men and horses both, after such a ride. As a viewer, none of these were deal-breakers for me, annoying as they were, but I sincerely hope I would never be so careless about such things in any of my books. I make efforts not to be.

3. As I said in answer to someone else, I think it might be found that the angle from which we viewed Galadriel and the pyroclastic cloud was deceptive, and it wasn't as close as it appeared. Therefore I hope that in the next episode we will be able to see that the cloud never did engulf her at all. It dispersed before it could, or it passed her at a safe distance, or something. I guess we will know on Friday (actually Thursday evening in my time zone) whether they provide some reasonably satisfactory explanation for her survival, or whether they choose to ignore the question and act as though she escaped by means unknown.

@SilentRoamer, I don't remember seeing that scene in that video just above, not in any of the episodes. Who are these people, and where are they supposed to be? I don't remember such a scene in the Southlands (though I suppose I might have missed it) and to me it looks nothing like a crowd of Númenóreans, who tend to be better dressed, even the laborers. Again, I might have missed something, but are you sure that video isn't a prank.

And now, the hour being very late indeed in my part of the world, I shall have to depart and seek my bed. Good night all, and thanks for the discussions.

Reactions: ctg
On the question of there only being three ships in this invasion, I sort of wonder if they aren't mixing different storylines. I seem to remember it being fairly definitely stated somewhere (the Silmarillion probably) that Elendil, Isildur and Anorien escaped the Great Wave (as they call it here) to Middle Earth in three ships, (one each) and they each landed in different places.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

On the question of there only being three ships in this invasion, I sort of wonder if they aren't mixing different storylines. I seem to remember it being fairly definitely stated somewhere (the Silmarillion probably) that Elendil, Isildur and Anorien escaped the Great Wave (as they call it here) to Middle Earth in three ships, (one each) and they each landed in different places.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
They had nine ships ("three times three" in Gandalf's rhyme in LOTR); four for Elendil, three for Isildur, two for Anarion.

The pyroclastic cloud was on the other side of Galadriel when we saw it moving toward her, and at that angle we might mistake it for closer than it actually was. I agree that if it engulfed her she should be dead, but maybe it didn't actually get her.
A pyroclastic surge is a fluidised mass of turbulent gas and rock fragments that is ejected during some volcanic eruptions. It is similar to a pyroclastic flow but it has a lower density or contains a much higher ratio of gas to rock,[1] which makes it more turbulent and allows it to rise over ridges and hills rather than always travel downhill as pyroclastic flows do.

The speed of pyroclastic density currents has been measured directly via photography only in the case of Mount St. Helens, where they reached 320-470 km/h, or 90–130 m/s (200–290 mph). Estimates of other modern eruptions are around 360 km/h, or 100 m/s (225 mph).[2] Pyroclastic flows may generate surges. For example, the city of Saint-Pierre in Martinique in 1902 was overcome by one. Pyroclastic surge include 3 types, which are base surge, ash-cloud surge, and ground surge.

3-5 meters from it, she closed her eyes and even if she moved, she would have been engulfed by the cloud. She would need immediate teleport to escape it, or cast out some massive shielding spell. But even then, it would be a hellish place to keep up a shield as the event can last days, before the dust settles.

The current advice for survival is to get into a car and drive as fast as you can, and even then it's a slim chance. The other choice is to find a shelter, but people had already seen that those houses were blown to pieces by the surge. Unless they'd some cleverly engineered nuclear bunker hidden in the village, ain't no way nobody survives. But knowing what'd done in the past I expect 80 percent to survive, and Galandrial has not even lost a hair.

It's my impression that the structure of the tower had already been undermined in some way. There was some sort of wooden support that kept it standing until he wanted it to fall, and it was into that support that he fired the arrow. I've been thinking that the tower fell in much the same way that an immeasurably taller tower, enforced with steel girders, was once brought down by a comparatively small airplane crashing into one of the upper floors. I know little of engineering, but I was given to understand during the disaster at the twin towers that once you breach the structural integrity of a building, anything can happen, and that's why buildings that look intact to the untrained eye are sometimes condemned.

But it's all guesswork on my part.

This is more believable than their work, as they make an effort to make this believable, even on the explosion front. The whole battle is very well thought, whereas they didn't provide a satisfactory explanation on what happened to the watch tower.

I could provide a long engineering video on the 9/11 incident and why many parts of it don't make any scientific sense. Before and since we have had many tower fires, even really, really bad ones, but none of them has come down like the two towers in NYC. Getting into that would derail the conversation into a wrong place, and it would be off-topic.

And yet, for all the inconsistencies that we have noticed here, and agreed were mistakes they should not have made, for a lot of viewers this was the best episode of the series yet, one that delivered exactly what they had been waiting for, that showed great promise for the show, etc. It seems that the scriptwriters gauged the streaming audience just right this time: deliver enough battle and mayhem, blood and slaughter, and many, many viewers won't much care about anything else.

It makes me sad to think that for so many people fantasy is all about the battles.

But for me, I'll be glad to get back to the gentler storylines with the Harfoots and the Dwarves, later this week. (Dwarves can be warlike, too, and I imagine they'll pick up arms before many seasons have passed, but I hope it won't be soon!)

_____

Moving on, that was a dramatic ending to the episode. We might lose some significant characters here. Those of us who are familiar with the books and movies know a few who can’t be dead, because of the roles they will have to play in the future of Middle-Earth. And I think we can all make some reasonable guesses about others who will probably survive for plot reasons—unless the plot becomes about how certain other characters react to their demise.

But the producers have explained (or excused) condensing the timeline, by saying they didn’t want to have to replace all the mortal characters with each new season. (Less a problem with the Númenóreans than the ordinary people, because they’ve been gifted with expanded life-spans, and dwarves can also reach a great age, but even these won’t live for anything like an entire Age of the world.)

So why compress the course of events if they plan to clear out a lot of these characters anyway as early as episode 6 of the first season—and what would make it worse, having them die with their story arcs incomplete? For that reason, I think—I hope—we won’t see too many of my favorite characters that they’ve been developing bite the dust, at least not yet.

So any ideas from anyone here about who will have died?. Not who should have died, by all the laws of nature and probability—because for some of those we know they won't have died— but who the producers would deem sufficiently expendable, or whose death at this time might serve to drive the plot in interesting directions for future episodes and future seasons?

For instance, I didn't see Theo among those who were heading out of the village. His death would certainly move the storylines for Bronwyn and Arondir in directions we never previously thought they would go. And now that he has given up the sword, and his prospects as a future villain have narrowed, will he be considered expendable?

There are some thoughts that have been whirling through my mind while watching this episode, and while writing the synopsis. I want to get them out now, stop writing and re-writing them in my mind, so I can relax into the upcoming episode—which I dang well better enjoy.

Over the years, there have been readers (of Tolkien’s books) and viewers (of the Peter Jackson movies) who have been deeply disturbed by the way that an entire race of sentient beings is presented as so evil and so dangerous that it is acceptable for the “good guys” to kill as many as they can without compunction, even to the point of genocide.

The producers of The Rings of Power have clearly decided it was time to address this, by creating some sympathy for the orcs, by presenting them in a way that might make viewers think, “Maybe they aren’t so bad. Maybe they are just persecuted. Why does Galadriel hate them so much anyway?”

They’ve done this through Adar’s moving speech, about how orcs have the same spark of life, the Secret Fire, that Elves and Men do, that they have names and hearts, and a desire for a home of their own. That they are as worthy of life and a home as anyone else. And a lot of viewers have been moved by this. They feel that somehow this has rehabilitated the orcs. But has it? Could it really be as easy as that?

I say no, it hasn’t. And no, it can't. It’s simply been paying lip service. Because while the writers put these words into Adar’s mouth, hoping, I guess, to inspire new ideas about the orcs in the minds of viewers, the orcs they continue to show us on the screen are in fact, exactly the same old orcs: vicious, cruel, and violent. Have they written scenes showing orcs being kind and loyal to each other? Have we heard the orcs themselves longing for a home where they can be free from the hatred of other races? No, they have not, and no we have not. I hope no one has forgotten what they did to the village of Hordern (and possibly other villages as well), how they enslaved the people to help dig the trenches, slaughtered their animals—but not to eat, just left to rot, simply because the desire to kill is too strong, too essential to their being. I hope no one has forgotten how vile the orcs were when we saw them with their captives in the trench, the taunting, the violence, the murder of one of the elves when he was drinking the water they offered him. And in all the scenes of battle the orcs are clearly relishing the violence.

The way to change perceptions of the orcs, to my mind, could best be done by seeing how they interact with each other—supposing that what we would see would be somewhat kinder and gentler. Or showing a peaceful settlement of orcs minding their own business being attacked for a change. But all there has been is a facile and manipulative speech meant to appeal to us on a sentimental level, but no actual change in the way the orcs are depicted through their own words and actions. And why? Because they, the producers and writers, would like credit for dispelling charges of racism that have been leveled at Tolkien over the years, mostly on behalf of the orcs, but the fact is, to make the story they are writing work, they need the orcs to be vicious and violent. The battle sequences in Episode 6, which have garnered so much praise in newspapers and some online sources, could not exist without someone to fight, and here are the orcs conveniently to hand, and no other characters within the story as it is being written who would make such satisfactory adversaries. So they cry crocodile tears for the orcs, but continue to portray them as monsters.

As usual, the orcs attack first. They overwhelm unsuspecting villages, just like in every Tolkien adaptation we have ever seen to date. With all the uninhabited lands in Middle-earth where they might settle without killing or displacing the inhabitants, they have chosen the Southlands, a place once barren, which the people who live there have been slowly and painstakingly cultivating so now they can raise crops and livestock at a somewhat more than subsistence level and look to improve the land and their lives even further in the future.

Why have Adar and his orcs chosen that location? The orcs cannot endure the sun, and the Southlands have a handy volcano that can be prodded into erupting and filling the sky with a cloud-cover of ash to shield them from the sun. What could be better? (Hint: have they considered caves, the vast uninhabited caverns that some of the descendants of these orcs and their smaller relatives, the goblins, will eventually occupy? There is no sunlight underground.) Of course Mount Doom will have to keep erupting at intervals, or the ashes in the air will eventually disperse.

And what kind of home will this be for the orcs? It will be a volcanic wasteland, where food is scarce. Crops can’t flourish without enough sunlight. And if the orcs are strictly carnivorous, whatever livestock they feed on would require fodder. So what will the orcs have to eat, under their grey sky? (I’m leaving out the real possibility that all this volcanic ash in the air could bring rain, and lots of it, making the future Mordor a soggy mess. Still not good for growing things because seeds would rot in the ground, but wet and cold and miserable rather than hot and dry and miserable. But in LOTR Mordor is a desert of dust and ash, so dust and ash it must be.) Caves would have been better. They could have occupied caverns by day, and come out at night to hunt the animals of the mountains. As it stands, just who are the ruthless colonizers enslaving and/or slaughtering the natives, then proceeding to create an environmental disaster?

But Sauron—or someone—has made this plan, and I really don’t think that it was with a comfortable home for the orcs principally in mind. Yet Adar follows the plan to the letter. The ocs—ever obedient to their leaders—do their part in making it happen. And we are offered abundant evidence, in the dialogue and elsewhere, that they know exactly what they are creating. “Udûn, Udûn,” they chant, anticipating the advent of their own private Hell.

When we hear Adar speaking so tenderly of his children, their names, their hearts, their need for a home, and hear Galadriel’s vicious answers, it is easy to feel sorry for the orcs. When she spits, “Your kind were a mistake” and threatens to kill every single orc, and leave Adar for last so he can suffer through it all before he dies, it is easy to see him and his children as pitiful, and her as merciless.

But a mistake is something you do by accident, or a consequence of something you did without considering the possible outcome carefully enough. Morgoth did not make a mistake. The orcs are just what he meant them to be: brutal killing machines, who act without conscience and without pity. Galadriel knows, from long experience, that you cannot make peace with them, and you cannot rehabilitate them.

There are some brief conversations between orcs in The Lord of the Rings (the books) that indicate they do have some concept of right and wrong, of loyalty to comrades, etc. and the orcs condemn other races when they think they have seen them fail to meet these standards, as they do at Cirith Ungol, when they find Frodo’s body and conclude that he has been deserted by a larger, stronger companion. Then, shortly thereafter, these same orcs share a laugh about one of their own company who was caught by the giant spider, Shelob, and left to hang in her web to be gradually consumed and drained of life, and how he cursed at them when they discovered him and offered no aid. Clearly the orcs don’t recognize their own hypocrisy. They dimly understand good and evil, but the way they are made they can only do evil. This is their tragedy. Under Morgoth, they were seriously lacking in free will, and if any tiny vestiges remain when we meet them in the television series, we can be sure that Sauron will blot those out once he creates the One Ring.

I do feel sorry for the orcs, but not because of anything in this series. They have been grievously wronged, something inexpressibly precious has been taken from them, but not by the Elves or by Men. They were wronged by Morgoth, by Sauron—and perhaps even by the god who allowed their creation without doing anything to stop it. To Tolkien, as he made clear in his letters, the highest sin is to rob others of free will. The orcs, as long as they exist, are both the personification of that sin, and its perpetuation.

And Adar, who denies being their master, surely rules over them. They call him “Lord”; they bow their heads.

While speaking of them so feelingly he mentions to Galadriel that he killed Sauron after sacrificing” too many of his children” to Sauron’s ambition. Now I ask any parent here, or or aunt, uncle or godparent, how many of our children are too many to hand over to a loathsome death in service to another’s ambition? Would not the number that is too many be “even one?” Yet Adar’s number, we have been shown, was somewhat higher.

Nor does he hesitate to expend their lives in service to the plan, either in battle, or when Mount Doom erupts. Any orcs within range, either as captives, or fleeing the losing battle, are going to be as vulnerable as the humans to flaming ashes, burning rocks, and noxious vapors.

Of course Galadriel’s hatred of the orcs, and now their “father,” is a corrosive thing that—like all hatred—harms the one who carries it, if it continues too long. She knows this; we know this. But, on the other hand, would compassion toward the orcs do her, or anyone else, any good? The orcs are a problem to which there is no right solution, no right answer. They will always be a danger; that is the way Morgoth made them, that is what he wanted them to be. And Adar, though some elvish part of him still exists to think higher thoughts, is a typical orc in that he knows what is good and yet continues to do evil. No more than they can he help it.

And why does Galadriel allow his words to disturb her so much, that it drives her to think and say such vicious things? I believe that she looks at him and not only sees the ruin of the elf he must once have been, but also what she or any other elf could become, unless Sauron and those who serve him are defeated, one and for all. It was one thing to hear old tales about the first orcs, but is quite another, and more chilling thing to actually meet one. (Sauron, too, indulges in physical and psychological torture. That is what he did to Finrod and his companions. If he had kept them longer to play with instead of sending his werewolves to kill them one at a time, what might they have become? Looking on Adar, with his scars, thinking about the scars on her brother’s body, this is a question that might well be occurring to Finrod’s sister.) Adar sees her vulnerability and goes right for the emotional jugular, by implying that she herself is becoming the evil that she wants to wipe from the face of the earth. It’s not as though she hasn’t already feared that herself, or known that her friends among the elves fear it, too. And because Adar still looks so much the elf himself, his words leave deep wounds. Her hissing, vicious answer, is spoken in pain, humiliation, and fear—fear, most of all that he might be right about her, that the difference between the two of them is growing ever slighter.

(Not that Gil-gilad’s policy of if we ignore the evil maybe it will go away is producing anything good. It has destroyed the Southlands. The Númenóreans may or may not blame Galadriel for leading them into danger, and for their own losses, but the plan to destroy the Southlands was already in motion when Galadriel and the cavalry arrived, and was already within a hair of being completed before she chased Adar down. Had Gil-gilad listened to her before, or had he kept his elven watchers more alert to what was happening under their noses—and then listened to their reports—had she, or any elven commander, arrived with an army sooner, maybe the outcome for the Southlanders would have been different.)

Great post, Teresa. I wonder how Tolkien might have written LOTR (and the older tales) differently if he had (a) firmly decided on the origin of the orcs as corrupted elves, and (b) asked himself all those questions. (On the other hand, since as you say there are no real answers, maybe it would have done nothing but create a moral quagmire.)

Thanks, HB. I kind of think he did create a moral quagmire as it is, which others enter at their peril.

I find it useful—for my own reading of the books, not that I am suggesting that others should do so, too—to regard the orcs, the dwarves, the hobbits, and the elves not as separate races or species but as metaphors for aspects of human nature.

It makes me sad to think that for so many people fantasy is all about the battles.
I read a ton of fantasy and find this a very prevalent and annoying trope, and one that is likely to stick around. It's usually an unimaginative and boring way to solve a conflict.

The best scene during this episode's battle scene was when the orcs entered the tavern and all the fighting stopped, while orcs took hostages and Adar entered. In that moment, despite the battle being paused, things felt more tense, and I felt more fear for the characters than I did when everyone was outside fighting.

Personally, I've never seen orcs as truly evil, but as wronged creatures. In the Tolkien realm, they are cursed beings, forced to do their master's bidding through slavery. They are bullies and they like bullying, torturing other creatures in return. So what is given to them, they will give back and over the thousands of years all of it became their style of life, hence the cursed image.

The thing about the fantasy orcs is that not everyone depicts them as evil creatures. Some writers make an effort to make their orcish characters to appear heroes. So the whole thing revolves around how the writers depict their creatures and make their world-building to fit the theme. In the Tolkien world they are seen as evil, manipulative and a cruel race, that only seems to like war and misery.

I haven't read other reviews or seen scores. Never do, I don't care much about that. But I'm not surprised that just one battle in an episode is enough to raise it's score. It illustrates nicely how useless those scores are. Yes, it tells me people want action, battles and perhaps even rivers of blood, hence the high scores for HoD. But is far removed from a strong story, well told, well acted which can engage you emotionally.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is, I liked this episode more than previous ones. Not because of the battle (which I found mediocore*), but there was more room for the characters to interact with each other. Also, Mount Doom earning its name was great. And is ended with a true cliffhanger.
Unfortunately, I don't see how it would be possible to escape a pyroclastic cloud. It's way too fast and beyond way too hot to escape. Sheltering in a building won't work. Look at Pompey and Herculaneum. Poor Galadriel. Perhaps we get told next episode she wasn't the real Galadriel after all. She was different from the Galadriel we know for a reason! Well OK, just kidding.
The tunnels the Orcs dug is the only way I can think of. It would be the least unlikely way to survive this. Adar disappeared in the barn. I say in, not from, or he would have been seen. Th eonly way he could go was underground.
Who will not survive? Queen Regent Míriel, Valendil, Ontamo, Halbrand, Theo, Bronwyn, and Arondir. The Southlands are no more, so all of the Southlanders, including its king, are dispensable, plot-wise. The queen's father foresaw darkness and didn't wish her to go. Also, at some point in time the king's nephew (Pharazôn) will grab power.

I have never had trouble with Orcs being battled to the last one. They have been created and designed for what they are, cruel, merciless elements, tools, of their creator. The only way the Orcs responded to Adar's speech was with grunts and shouting "Nampat! Nampat!"

The battle. The Numûnorean force had been riding hard, apparently through the night, straight at the small village of Tirharad. They didn't pause to taker in the situation or make a 'battle-plan'. They dove straight into the fight, without knowing the situation. OK, there wasn't time to waste. But actions like using a chain between two riders seem curious when you don't know what you will encounter. A scene with only the enemy or also villagers fighting the Orcs. The whole action, riding hard, arriving, diving into battle, all as if knowing beforehand what and the local situation would be, made no sense to me. It failed to me. Logic-wise and tactical-wise.