DISCUSSION THREAD -- OCTOBER 2022 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Bout of insomnia, 5am... consider the new Challenge... enter a story... do final edit in Challenge thread, yikes.

Great choices, Jo! Good luck, all, with your stories, CC

Yes, definitely sleep on it, BigJ! I didn't, and I think my story may not make sense. :)

Great theme/genre choices. I like being restricted to a genre i've never written. Although I have no idea what gothic genre is. Can anyone shed some light on it?
From googling it, I have a vague idea, and feel it is a lot to do with the setting. Is that right? Or could you write a gothic story in a brightly lit Mcdonald's playground?

Great theme/genre choices. I like being restricted to a genre i've never written. Although I have no idea what gothic genre is. Can anyone shed some light on it?
Think Edgar Allan Poe, Emily Bronte or Rebecca de Maurnier. Elements of brooding fear and disquiet, often indicated by the feel and Setting. Haunted house stories would be gothic in feel.

From googling it, I have a vague idea, and feel it is a lot to do with the setting. Is that right? Or could you write a gothic story in a brightly lit Mcdonald's playground?
Coming back to the brightly lit playground - absolutely. A lurker in the corner, baseball hat over his dark eyes, a trenchcoat sweeping the ground. He leans forward, and says, in a whisper ....

My definition of gothic? Anything written by Edgar Allen Poe, or starring Vincent Price in it! But gothic can include horror love and even comedy stories ( I myself would class Jane Eyre as gothic romance, Dracula certainly is, and Northanger Abbey is a delightful satire).

It's dominated by horror though, and the Wiki definition of 'Gothic literature' allows for plenty of scope.

Well done on the choice of theme and genre, Jo!

Back