Nasa dart asteroid deflection test

I watched it live on Nasa.gov and, though the even itself was pretty tremendous, I am in total awe of the people who can launch something into space and hit something that small without even knowing what it looks like or whether what they are doing will actually work - I was really disappointed by the insultingly bad presentation. Tag teams of crashingly bad, amateurish, semi-scripted, smiley, agreeing 'woo this is so exciting' fakery. It was like they'd imported a couple of Eurovision Song Contest hosts and told them to 'do science'.

Apparently, the operation was a success.

Apparently, the operation was a success.

A smashing success!

I think another big story here is how much the impact effected the orbit of the satellite. "The investigation team has confirmed the spacecraft’s impact altered Dimorphos’ orbit around Didymos by 32 minutes, shortening the 11 hour and 55-minute orbit to 11 hours and 23 minutes. This measurement has a margin of uncertainty of approximately plus or minus 2 minutes."

Before its encounter, NASA had defined a minimum successful orbit period change of Dimorphos as change of 73 seconds or more. This early data show DART surpassed this minimum benchmark by more than 25 times.
NASA Confirms DART Mission Impact Changed Asteroid’s Motion in Space

There is much to be learned here.

Sadly there are people out there calling this fake or saying it's a waste of money that should be spent here on earth.

I'm just waiting for the announcement that they have moved it onto a collision path with Earth and will have to launch a second dart to push it back!
I think one of the things that they took into consideration was that altering Dimorphos’ orbit around Didymos didn't change the combined mass of the two asteroids and so their orbit around the sun would stay the same.

So, the last impact, the Ceres size, that destroys the Earth happens every 4 billion years. Earth is 4.5 billion years old. Be afraid, very afraid.
It would take a heck of a lot to shift Ceres that much, to make such an impact occur within the next several thousand years. By which time, mostly likely we’d either be a multi planet species or the hypothetical Ceres-shifter would get us too and probably faster.

It would take a heck of a lot to shift Ceres that much, to make such an impact occur within the next several thousand years. By which time, mostly likely we’d either be a multi planet species or the hypothetical Ceres-shifter would get us too and probably faster.
But it isn't for Ceres, but a Ceres size asteroid. And the frequency is listed as 4 Billion years.