Capitilization in dialogue after comma.

therapist

These examples are from a book i'm reading. Are both of these standard and correct?

"There's a fight coming,' Tau said, "and if we don't..."

Then, louder, he said, "Take the food home..."

These examples are from a book i'm reading. Are both of these standard and correct?

As J-Sun said, those are correct.

Just in case it's not clear why, the rationale is that with the first the sentence in dialogue is still continuing, hence the comma after "said" ie without the dialogue tag it's "There's a fight coming and if we don't..." whereas with the second that "Take" is the first word of a new sentence of dialogue so has to take the capital "T".

If that first one wasn't a complete sentence ie it was "There's a fight coming. We have to..." then it would read
"There's a fight coming," Tau said. "We have to..."​

ie with a full stop after the "said" and the new sentence beginning with the capital "W".

And one of my pet hates, which often seems to crop up on the Kindle, is the capitalisation of the assignation verb or pronoun following the inverted commas:

“It’s Cthulhu!” She shouted.
“I’m tired.” He said.
“Are we there yet?” Asked the apprentice.
“No, about another hour.” Said his father.

Unfortunately, the automatic setting on the iPhone, and, I suspect, some word processing programmes, is to capitalise any letter following a space after end-of-sentence punctuation.:confused:

And one of my pet hates, which often seems to crop up on the Kindle, is the capitalisation of the assignation verb or pronoun following the inverted commas:

“It’s Cthulhu!” She shouted.
“I’m tired.” He said.
“Are we there yet?” Asked the apprentice.
“No, about another hour.” Said his father.

Unfortunately, the automatic setting on the iPhone, and, I suspect, some word processing programmes, is to capitalise any letter following a space after end-of-sentence punctuation.:confused:
But wouldn't changing some of those capital letters to lower-case be wrong aswell?
My understanding is that:
"It's Chthulu!" she shouted. —— is correct
"I'm tired." he said. —— is incorrect because the fullstop should be changed to a comma

Yes, sorry, should have been a comma after after ‘tired’.

A youtuber that I follow made a great video about this topic:

Scrivener for iPad often auto-inserts the irritating post-quote capitalization if the sentence doesn't end in a period-translated-to-comma.
"Don't you love having to delete a word every time after a quote?" He said.