300 Worder Image Poll and Discussion Thread #6

Vote for the Best Image for October's 300 Word Writing Challenge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
It's been two years since we had an Image Poll for the 300 Worder, so we thought it was about time we gave you the opportunity to choose the inspiration image again.

As usual, we've picked four images from which you can choose, and we've tried to have a spread of images to fit the categories of SF, fantasy, horror and general indeterminate speculative fiction but, of course, you're not bound by our thoughts on what category any image might fall into.

To repeat what has been said before, when we mods choose an image, we look for one which we hope will generate the most entries and the most diversity of stories, so do bear that in mind when voting. Or vote for the one that most appeals to you or which plants an immediate story in your head. The important thing is to vote.

Even if you don't think you'll write a story this quarter or, at this stage, none of the images inspire you, do vote. Then write a story anyway -- we want as many as possible!

This is also a Discussion thread, so do chat here about the images and/or the forthcoming Challenge which will start on 1 October.

The poll will stay open until 11:59pm (GMT) on September 29th. As always the poll is an open one, so everyone will be able to see who voted and how.

The images are:

A -- Orange Fungus

B -- Lighthouse

C -- Chains

D -- Sunset

1663946371226.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Regular Challengers will know we always give an image credit in the 300 Worder, and as you'd expect we also always get consent from the copyright holder before using the images.

However, we were a bit behindhand in getting the options for the image drawn up (yeah, yeah, what's new...?) and as yet we're still waiting to hear from one member for one of the images here. Fingers crossed we'll get consent in the next day or two!

Meanwhile, get voting!

I am deliberating between B and D. I see possibilities for either, story-wise. Hmmm... I'll let it brew (or stew) for a day or two.

One thing I have learned over my time here is that it is possible to write a story about nearly anything. For this one I am going with B because a delightful lighthouse story popped into my head immediately. :)
( I think the only uninspiring one is D. I'd probably pass on that one.)

One thing I have learned over my time here is that it is possible to write a story about nearly anything. For this one I am going with B because a delightful lighthouse story popped into my head immediately. :)
My EXACT THOUGHTS!!
If it was sunrise i would go for it but sunset is highly genre dependant…

My EXACT THOUGHTS!!
If it was sunrise i would go for it but sunset is highly genre dependant…
Well, we called it "Sunset" to give it a title, but you can rename it "Sunrise" for yourself if you want! ;)

Actually, that's an interesting issue -- whether people are influenced by the titles we give images, so that we "see" what we expect according to the name, rather than by what is actually there. I wonder if we had labelled it "Sunrise" would anyone have wondered if it was in fact a sunset, and would all the stories have been about dawn, whereas a "Sunset" label would give stories about evening, even though the image was the same.

Anyway, I do hope everyone remembers that the stories for the 300 worder only have to be inspired by the image, they don't have to explain it or tell the story of the image. The only requirement is that the story is SF, fantasy or other speculative fiction. So if that image wins, there's no need to write about a sunset or evening!

Agreed. The sunset can be wedged into just about any story...like this:

The sun was setting by the time the City walls were breached and the Emperor’s enemies began to flood the streets below the palace. Only he and his sister remained, staring at the blood-red sky, holding each other as though they were infants once more. The slave Samon had brought cups of poison, unbidden, before leaving to take his chances in the streets.

“Brother, do we have long?” she asked, only now beginning to tremble.

“A few minutes perhaps.”

“Good. There is something you must know. Something I have never had the courage to tell you.”

etc....etc..

So I voted for the lighthouse.

Well, we called it "Sunset" to give it a title, but you can rename it "Sunrise" for yourself if you want! ;)

Actually, that's an interesting issue -- whether people are influenced by the titles we give images, so that we "see" what we expect according to the name, rather than by what is actually there. I wonder if we had labelled it "Sunrise" would anyone have wondered if it was in fact a sunset, and would all the stories have been about dawn, whereas a "Sunset" label would give stories about evening, even though the image was the same.
IMHO if you are capturing moment of transition the direction of transition is a crucial thing…
Transitions I think are cool and inspiring, but not towards darkness, again :D
I guess… “sun over horizon” would be more politically correct title…
Anyway, I do hope everyone remembers that the stories for the 300 worder only have to be inspired by the image, they don't have to explain it or tell the story of the image. The only requirement is that the story is SF, fantasy or other speculative fiction. So if that image wins, there's no need to write about a sunset or evening!
After my turtle story review i am not sure of anything :p
You should look beyond that sunset. Just like you more than a lighthouse in picture B.
I know, but however you put it sunrise is a element of a setting that brings light, while sunset brings darkness, so unless you are a vampire, or other murky creature there is not much positivity around (as i said - genre specific)
Agreed. The sunset can be wedged into just about any story...like this:
+ sunset is the setting for exploring negative emotions (or depending on genre) and apart from that doesn’t do much - and for some time I’d rather not do another patos story

Last edited:
No idea, I don't often take part in the challenges. I like the trypophobia-ness of it.

No idea, I don't often take part in the challenges. I like the trypophobia-ness of it.
Sorry, despite posting after you, it was a question for the folks that selected these four images.

IMHO if you are capturing moment of transition the direction of transition is a crucial thing…
Transitions I think are cool and inspiring, but not towards darkness, again :D
I guess… “sun over horizon” would be more politically correct title…

After my turtle story review i am not sure of anything :p

I know, but however you put it sunrise is a element of a setting that brings light, while sunset brings darkness, so unless you are a vampire, or other murky creature there is not much positivity around (as i said - genre specific)

+ sunset is the setting for exploring negative emotions (or depending on genre) and apart from that doesn’t do much - and for some time I’d rather not do another patos story
But if that image is chosen, entrants are free to be inspired by other elements in the picture -- the tree, the rocks, etc. -- and ignore the sky altogether.

Yeah. I was looking at the landscape, the plains. The tree. The sunset is no more than just a way to light the scene. The sun, or its position in the sky, need not necessarily be mentioned in the story. How about a scary night on the plain, wild beasts roaring on all sides, while you are anxiously waiting for the sun to rise? But the night is long...
Epilogue.
It rose too late. They all died in the end.

EDIT: grammar and new ideas...

Last edited:
I found all four choices to be suitably inspiring; my vote went to B because I am in an October mood and it had the most spooky potential.

Didn't we just do fungus?
If you mean in the 300s then the last one was Laura's painting which clearly suggested mushrooms or toadstools to some people, based on the stories they wrote, but the image itself was very different, of course, so it didn't seem likely that people would consider themselves all fungused-out having written about mushrooms last quarter.

We labelled it "orange fungus" for the sake of giving it a handy name, but we could equally have called it "alien growth" -- so perhaps anyone worrying about writing another toadstool story should think of it in that light if it's chosen!

Another lighthouse vote -ya can't go wrong with a lighthouse story ...well ya can, but they are all automatic now so nobody'll be offended