Firearms terminology

Mon0Zer0

Supporter
Wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this question, but I'm writing a scene where someone with only one hand is reloading a handgun.

I've seen youtube videos where someone will attach a clip to a belt and then slam the handle onto it to reload. I wanted to describe the process in detail to underscore the challenge of reloading in a pitched battle.

1. What is the clip holder on a revolver called? Is it the mag well?

2. What is the top of a clip called - the nearest I could find was feed side.

3. On an automatic weapon - what is the correct term for the action of pulling the bolt back to chamber a round? Is it cocking the bolt?

4. On some weapons they smack the bolt after cocking it - what's the purpose of doing that?

I assume you are referring to a semi-automatic handgun in this case and not a revolver.

In that case loading the weapon would consist of inserting the magazine (not clip) into the magazine (or mag) well and racking the slide (not bolt) to chamber a round.

I find, trying to answer you specific questions; that I'm not much of a gun nut. but I have some.

So here's a gig.

When a magazine runs out, most autoloader (semi-automatic) pistols will freeze with the receiver (slider) (firing chamber loader) "jacked" open.

A thumb-click on the magazine release button will drop the magazine out according to gravity flow.

Slamming another loaded magazine into place will release a catch which will release the spring-loaded receiver, which loads the next round and preps for another shot at just another finger squeeze.

Specific terms for the top and bottom of the magazine, or the slot it fits into, I've never heard. Shrug.

An automatic or semiautomatic handgun is often called a "pistol" in contrast to a revolver. The cartridges in a revolver are in a cylinder.

The top of the magazine is the top of the magazine, but the actual top surface are the "feed lips". The bottom is the base or base plate.

While you "rack the slide" on a typical pistol, you either "release the bolt" (if already locked back), "charge the bolt" or "pull back the charging handle" on a submachine gun or rifle (or pistol designed like them).

Self loading weapons rely on the action spring/recoil spring to drive the round into the chamber and lock the bolt. However, when firing they also get extra oomph from their rebound to the rear. If the gun is dirty, the spring alone might not fully chamber the cartridge and lock the bolt, so a little extra rap helps insure that the rifle will fire. Many guns do not have a cocking handle design that makes this possible.

Keep in mind that many submachineguns and belt fed machineguns fire starting with the bolt locked open. It closes when you pull the trigger. So no "rap" on those.

In the vast majority of guns, forcing the mag in does not release anything.

If you want to get this kind of thing right, either don't name the particular gun, or ask for specifics on that model from someone in the know.

I’ll also add that a technique for racking the slide one-handed involves hooking the rear site on a belt or boot.

Here’s an interesting method that could work good in fictiion:

It all sounds very difficult with one hand.
@Mon0Zer0 this brings up another question: is your character well trained in the operation of the weapon? If so, one-handed operation has probably been drilled and will be a bit easier for them, even under duress. If not, there will probably be a lot of fumbling around and even dropping of the firearm.

@Mon0Zer0 this brings up another question: is your character well trained in the operation of the weapon? If so, one-handed operation has probably been drilled and will be a bit easier for them, even under duress. If not, there will probably be a lot of fumbling around and even dropping of the firearm.
Not many people actually practice that. It is rough on the gun's finish and sights.

It is also unnecessary because most police or whoever carry the gun with the chamber already loaded, and can use the slide lock to release the slide after changing the magazine. The exception is Israel where everyone carries with the chamber empty by law.

@Swank good point, if the gun was emptied through firing, the slide should be locked back and can be reloaded by inserting the mag and releasing the slide lock.

Being loaded initially would be a different scenario.

Thanks for that @JS Wiig , @Christine Wheelwright and @Swank ! Exactly what I was looking for.

I assume you are referring to a semi-automatic handgun in this case and not a revolver.

Yeah. The setting is sci-fi, but the equivalent would be an Arsenal double barrelled 1911, except where the barrels are mounted vertically.

An automatic or semiautomatic handgun is often called a "pistol" in contrast to a revolver. The cartridges in a revolver are in a cylinder.

The top of the magazine is the top of the magazine, but the actual top surface are the "feed lips". The bottom is the base or base plate.

While you "rack the slide" on a typical pistol, you either "release the bolt" (if already locked back), "charge the bolt" or "pull back the charging handle" on a submachine gun or rifle (or pistol designed like them).

Self loading weapons rely on the action spring/recoil spring to drive the round into the chamber and lock the bolt. However, when firing they also get extra oomph from their rebound to the rear. If the gun is dirty, the spring alone might not fully chamber the cartridge and lock the bolt, so a little extra rap helps insure that the rifle will fire. Many guns do not have a cocking handle design that makes this possible.

Keep in mind that many submachineguns and belt fed machineguns fire starting with the bolt locked open. It closes when you pull the trigger. So no "rap" on those.

In the vast majority of guns, forcing the mag in does not release anything.

If you want to get this kind of thing right, either don't name the particular gun, or ask for specifics on that model from someone in the know.

Perfect, thanks.

They are well trained, but they're only one handed as a result of catastrophic injury, so it's not their default mode. Unless it's something the military trains soldiers on, it's unlikely she would have otherwise had cause to do it.

@Swank good point, if the gun was emptied through firing, the slide should be locked back and can be reloaded by inserting the mag and releasing the slide lock.

Being loaded initially would be a different scenario.

In this case the gun is empty and they're loading it for the first time, so they'll need to rack it to load the chamber.

I've seen youtube videos where someone will attach a clip to a belt and then slam the handle onto it to reload. I wanted to describe the process in detail to underscore the challenge of reloading in a pitched battle.
Most people are going to either shoot the gun empty so the slide locks back, drop the mag, stuff it under the other armpit and then load the mag. Pull it out and release the slide.

If there are still rounds in the mag and chamber, same thing but you don't do anything with the slide.

Really, it is no different than what you'd instinctually do if you had your hands full and need to fish out your keys - shove the mail under your arm. Unless you've practiced some other maneuver extensively, you aren't going to do anything complicated during a fight.

The mag in the belt thing sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

One more for semi-auto as well as for revolver one-handed. Always good to cross-ref and have supporting views! From experience...;)
I always practice two-handed, strong, and weak-handed. Just in case...but that's for another post or form!

Smacking the slide/bolt forward is done only for a miss feed. i.e the round does not chamber fully.

With semi-autos (pistols/rifles) there are four kinds of malfunctions; miss feeds (the round does not chamber fully, thus smacking), stove pipes (the spent round gets caught in the slide/bolt while chambering a new round), double feeds (two rounds load at once-worse case) and miss fires (the chambered round does not fire, aka. a dud round).

Shooting a semi-auto is easy. It's the training for malfunctions that is important. Something your character may already be instinctive with.:)

Last edited:
I would also have the MC's pistol holstered in a cross draw; opposite of the way the pistol is in place for holstering like in my 1st video. It would be more efficient for a one-armed shooter. If R handed, pistol is holstered L appendix (belly) and clips are on the R waist. Movements will be short sweet and efficient. He's a gun fighter after all so everything is purposeful, efficient and decisive.

Sorry, got a little excited about your post. And everyone else gave great advice too! Especially @Swank.

Last edited: