Tech speak

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
I noticed that my new windows machine lists something called powershell. I thought 'Oh whats that?' and looked for a video.
Well, you know the way some twins develop their own language which excludes the parents?
I got the feeling geeky adults do it too, and probably for the same reason. To keep us out of their loop.

Having spent my adult life in the geek-verse, let me try to give an explanation.

PowerShell is a programming language used to automate repetitive tasks; think of it as providing macros at the computer level. The primary target users of it are software development and maintenance personnel, though some advanced computer users may take advantage of it. The primary benefit is that PowerShell does not require any additional software or tools beyond what is shipped with the (Microsoft Windows) computer. The primary disadvantages is that it is considered to be much less efficient and not appropriate for large tasks.

I got the feeling geeky adults do it too, and probably for the same reason.
Or cops, or evangelicals, or rights advocates. Group identity virtually requires behavior that isolates the group from the mainstream.

Back