The Curse of Peladon

Le Panda du Mal

This is an early favorite of mine. I think one reason I liked it so much is that I already liked the Ice Warriors and I thought it was really cool to see them turn out to be honorable and benevolent figures, as opposed to their previous villainous appearances. I think this might be a first for Doctor Who, that is, where a recurring villain faction exhibits an unforced change for the better (I'm aware of humanized Daleks in Evil of the Daleks but they are the result of outside interference). It's a shame the Ice Warriors weren't further explored after Brian Hayles' stories, as they had the potential to be very interesting (I have yet to see the Monster of Peladon but I understand it is not generally considered an improvement).

Must admit, I only know this from the novelisation! It was a striking change from normality to see aliens conducting diplomacy instead of aliens invading. I also read "The Monster of Peladon", but I don't recall it really adding much new to the earlier story.

There are also so fairly decent Ice- warriors, in the end in the Nu-who episode Empress of Mars, with Peter Capaldi.
But unfortunately, they didn't hiss/whisper when talking and roll their heads like they did when I was a boy. I used to love to do that in the playground at school.