Good Time Travel Short Stories, Novellas, Novels

Isn’t that what the movie Predestination is based on? (A very good time travel movie.)

The Very Slow Time Machine (1979) by Ian Watson is an interesting 10kish word short.

Morlock Nights by KW Jeter was another sequel to the Time Machine.

I enjoyed it, but didn’t think it was anywhere near as good as Baxter’s Time Ships.

I'm trying to locate a short story Iread years ago in which a sphere is sent back in time and the condensation droplets cause the characteristics of the scientists to change...My granddaughter is majoring in astrophysics and we had quite the discussion about possible ramifications of time travel.

I'm trying to locate a short story Iread years ago in which a sphere is sent back in time and the condensation droplets cause the characteristics of the scientists to change...My granddaughter is majoring in astrophysics and we had quite the discussion about possible ramifications of time travel.
So it wasn't this guess by me?
You asked the question in "Book Search"

I'm not generally very fond of time travel books as I find it very hard to make that big a suspension of disbelief, but there are one or two stand outs that I've read more recently.

I would second Alastair Reynolds' Permafrost as a very good novel take on time travel.
One Day All This Will Be Yours by Adrian Tchaikovsky presents an interesting off-beat vision of time travel.
Gregory Bendford's Timescape (mentioned earlier) is interesting from the concept point of view though horrible from a misogynist perspective.
I think Asimov's The End of Eternity deserves a sold mention too.

Connie Willis has already been mentioned. Doomsday Book was especially poignant, as people were dying of the plague in front of the protagonist, who knew there was a simple cure in her own time.

Also, Harry Harrison's A Rebel in Time. No perfect, but teenage me enjoyed it immensely. A time and place I have little investment in, or great knowledge of, as I'm not from the US, but it brought it to life for me. It also provided some details I knew nothing of previously, and it was a rip-roaring adventure.

How many of us here have written a story featuring time travel? Just interested...

Back