William Gibson's 'The Peripheral' Season 1 Trailer

Well, keep in mind that there's the future and the future gamescape. I think we're seeing both. However, it does seem to be using SQUIDS.

I have not read the series, so I can't speak to it following the story line. As for Ready Player One, I see the similarity as well. I was surprised on how off the story line RP1 the movie was from the book. Key one in the book was a car race of all things in the movie. So, making a TV series mirror the book is harder than it seems. I feel like the Expanse series did a fairly good job of it. Ender's game was pretty good as a translation to the big screen. The whole Valentine and Peter dynamic is lost of coarse. Time will tell on this one. We need a good new Sci Fi show out there. Seems like slim picking for quite a while...but then again, I hail from the Babylon 5 days. Fingers crossed! :)

I've watched the first two episodes and for the literary Gibson fan it's a dud. However, if you let go of any expectations of an accurate adaptation it's okay. It's spoon fed to you so you don't need to think too hard to watch it, which is probably a point in its favour.

I've watched the first two episodes and for the literary Gibson fan it's a dud. However, if you let go of any expectations of an accurate adaptation it's okay. It's spoon fed to you so you don't need to think too hard to watch it, which is probably a point in its favour.
To be fair, one of the things I adore about the novel is the mystery of what the hell is happening for the first 100 pages. I have the patience and memory to just passively let events happen that I don't understand. Other readers with similar tastes had a really hard time with it.

Dune losses much of it's mental gymnastics on screen, but is so rich that it still makes for a decent film. The Peripheral has so many interesting ideas (time travel that isn't, for one), that seeing any of it live might still be rewarding.

But, I haven't seen it.

I have to ask, is this a Time-Travel story or is it just a first twist to blow minds? It's also interesting that Nolan and Joy are associated to the story, but neither one of them penned the first two scripts.

So I have the delicious dilemma of not having read it, nor seen it. What do I do first…
If you aren't a big fan of Gibson's written works then I would say dive into the show and don't worry about it. You won't have to contend with Gibson-style storytelling.

I have to ask, is this a Time-Travel story or is it just a first twist to blow minds? It's also interesting that Nolan and Joy are associated to the story, but neither one of them penned the first two scripts.
It is not time-travel in the physical sense a la Doctor Who. It's time travel in the style of Gregory Benford's Timescape but still a little different than that. If you watch the show they will explain it in detail.

To be fair, one of the things I adore about the novel is the mystery of what the hell is happening for the first 100 pages. I have the patience and memory to just passively let events happen that I don't understand. Other readers with similar tastes had a really hard time with it.
Exactly. If you're expecting that same sense of mystery then don't. It's laid out in a very linear fashion so there is no guesswork involved. I will be posting a review on my blog soon.