Stephen King's books, ranked.

The Dark Tower books would have scored higher, I'd rate The Stand above IT. 11/22/63 didn't grab me, should be a lot lower down.

I know I'm in the minority but I like Bill Hodges and Holly Gibney ( I may have her surname wrong)

Four Past Midnight would be higher, even if its just for The Langoliers.

Yes I'd say I'd disagree with the list.

These things are so subjective. Besides, i've not read that many King books, so its hard to argue on the merits of the newer ones.

Of the 75, i've only read 18.

Still, the article is actually a decent read and i find myself wanting to rediscover King's work after reading some of the summaries.

Last edited:
I am very under read with Stephen King. Only read I think 2 of his books.

I saw another Stephen king's list recently which had 11/63/82 (rough approximation of title) as number 1. So now seeing it here as 4th, i'm very interested to read it now. That and Dark Tower.

Lots I haven't read but my list would have Dreamcatcher higher to start with. It is not a great novel but maybe mid-tier in a list like this and it does have its moments. It was an easy read that I enjoyed enough to finish in short order.

Is Under the Dome really that good? I could see me enjoying a strange concept like this partnered with King's writing but never picked it up, maybe due to the TV series.

I have only read a handfull of Stephen King's novels. Never been a fan of his books. There's something in the style or narrative that does not sit well with me. Part of the problem is probably that I'm not a fan of horror (or stories about people behaving stupidly, which often seems to be the raft on which the horror-story floats.)
The last 2 King novels I read are
Under the Dome: filled with annoying people acting annoyingly and a weird 'out of the blue' End (as in, 'oh yeah, I need an Ending') that was unsatisfying.
11/22/63: a narrative on the loose, going nowhere and ending where it started, with nothing achieved. It is a time-travel story solely to showcase the differences in society between Then and Now. As if we didn't know.

Lots I haven't read but my list would have Dreamcatcher higher to start with. It is not a great novel but maybe mid-tier in a list like this and it does have its moments. It was an easy read that I enjoyed enough to finish in short order.

Is Under the Dome really that good? I could see me enjoying a strange concept like this partnered with King's writing but never picked it up, maybe due to the TV series.
I enjoyed Dreamcatcher more than Under the Dome.

I've not read the Dark Tower series as it looks to be too much into the Fantasy side of things. I have real a LOT of positive comments about it. Is it something that someone who cannot get into fantasy would enjoy.

From a Buick 8 looks pretty good too.

Interesting. I hated the time travel one, loved some early stuff that’s well down the list and think the uncut Stand is a travesty that only reinforces why editors must always be listened to :D

I've read five of the novels, and don't feel the need to reread any of them except one, nor do I expect to read any of the others, based on the descriptions in the list given and what I have gathered from other comments. But I liked 11/22/63 and reread it some months ago. I've read some of the short stories and novellas, and the only one I think of positively is "N" in the After Sunset collection. In general his imagination seems to me unwholesome, leaving the reader worse off after a reading than it was before.

What an irritating format for the list. I got bored scrolling after 60 something. Just know that Duma Key, It, From a Buick 8, Salem’s Lot and his short story collections should be top ten in this fan’s mind.

I’m also that SK fan who hated The Stand.