Reading-Order flowchart for Keith Laumer's Bolo and Retief series.

Mike J Nagle

An Aspiring Member
Hello,

It's been a while since I have created a new reading-order flowchart, but recently Baylor suggested that I take on Keith Laumer's Bolo stories.

Of course, I needed to do some deep research in order to do the job right.

In the course of that research I learned that Laumer's Retief stories are set in the same universe as his Bolo stories, only a few centuries later.

I just finished the job, here is the finished flowchart:

Bolo-Retief_Flowchart.jpg

I hope you all like it.

Mike

One my favorite stories on the list A Relic of War. It's the first Bolo story I ever read . And ,it hooked me on these stories . I know this might sounds a bit crazy but when you read these Bolo stores, You care about them as characters and you care what happens to them .

One my favorite stories on the list A Relic of War. It's the first Bolo story I ever read . And ,it hooked me on these stories . I know this might sounds a bit crazy but when you read these Bolo stores, You care about them as characters and you care what happens to them .
Baylor,

That doesn't sound at all crazy to me.

I have felt much the same about non-biological characters in many other stories. The robots in Asimov's stories, H.A.R.L.E.Y. (In When H.A.R.L.E.Y Was One), and Valentina readily come to mind, for example...

That you easily empathize with such characters is a reflection of the authors' skill as writers, rather than any insanity on your part.

Cheers,

Mike

Baylor,

That doesn't sound at all crazy to me.

I have felt much the same about non-biological characters in many other stories. The robots in Asimov's stories, H.A.R.L.E.Y. (In When H.A.R.L.E.Y Was One), and Valentina readily come to mind, for example...

That you easily empathize with such characters is a reflection of the authors' skill as writers, rather than any insanity on your part.

Cheers,

Mike

Keith Laumer was a terrific writer . Ive never been disappointed by anything ive ever read by him.:cool: The other other worker who carried on the Bolos , Weber, Drake Keith and Lackey all did great stories as well.:cool:

I would love to see a Bolo feature film :cool:

Id also like to see them do a Retief film as well, though Im not sure how thye could cast for that part. :)

Bolo Brigade by William Keith was quite good .:cool: